Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

How Many Games Should We Test Haskins?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-29-2020, 12:02 PM   #121
OnceWeWereKings
The Starter

Re: How Many Games Should We Test Haskins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Did JP ask him about not using his timeouts? Because he sure isn't coaching like he's interested in trying to win a weak division.
Thats what gets me. Actions > words.
Also, just saw a keim article from yesterday that is basically the exact opposite saying haskins is the guy. So there's mixed things coming out of rivera.

Advertisements
Old 09-29-2020, 12:04 PM   #122
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Did JP ask him about not using his timeouts? Because he sure isn't coaching like he's interested in trying to win a weak division.
JP Finlay
@JPFinlayNBCS
·
Sep 28
Rivera on the timeouts: "This is a young football team that I have to protect"

It was a good interview but there was a disconnect. RR talked about how they were in 1st place and reflected on the 2014 or so season when the Panthers were like 3-8 but won the division at 7-8-1. And how this season is very much in play and he doesnt want to leave money on the table ...

but then says he says he has to protect the team by not calling TOS when down by 2 scores?

I dont quite understand who you are protecting or how not calling TOs protect anyone.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:08 PM   #123
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I trust Ron on this. A couple of ancillary things go into this calculus:

- Dwayne's poor play is impacting Ron's ability to evaluate the WRs. If they're not on the field enough it gets harder to evaluate the rest of the offense.

- Last year we saw Dwayne suck nuts until later in the season when he finally learned the offense. This year, new offense, and he's sucking nuts early. It's possible he's just a slow learner, in addition to having issues with mechanics and footwork. But if Ron looks at this and says I can't have a slow learner, there's no time for that in the NFL, because what if next year I decide to change coordinators? What if next year Scott and I need to adjust the scheme to fit the skills of new receivers? If being a slow learner holds us back, I'm good if Ron decides that's not good enough.

Some of these young QBs come in and get it quickly, it's not unreasonable to look for the next one who might be capable of that.

That all has to be balanced against the long term interests of seeing what you have in Dwayne, and at the same time weighing the chance of losing the locker room if you continue to start a shitty player.

I trust Ron will get it right. He's not there yet but he's sending signals, as he should.
Second point and too that, missing that preseason really hurts. I feel like Ron will give Haskins enough time, but I think accountability means more in this organization with Ron since Gibbs 2.0.

Still in the back of my mind, I strongly think Ron knows being his first year without a preseason and all this other crap not football related going on with the org...this year is a research and development plan. R&D...he gonna find out who works well in the culture and then add or extend who does.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:10 PM   #124
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

I don’t know there are other teams with first year coaches, first year quarterbacks, and young rosters that are playing to win and didn’t have a preseason either. Always an excuse in DC. Always.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:13 PM   #125
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I asked Ron Rivera about Dwayne Haskins’ future and the coach didn’t hold back: “If we never play him, he never grows, but there is a point where you say, ‘OK, maybe taking a step back and watching is the best thing for you now.’”

JP FINLAY
Old 09-29-2020, 12:28 PM   #126
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
I don’t know there are other teams with first year coaches, first year quarterbacks, and young rosters that are playing to win and didn’t have a preseason either. Always an excuse in DC. Always.
Add name change/controversy, add sexual harassment allegations, add minority owners feud/lawsuit....

It’s called a shitshow...and every year it’s something different

He Gets Us
Old 09-29-2020, 12:53 PM   #127
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
JP Finlay
@JPFinlayNBCS
·
Sep 28
Rivera on the timeouts: "This is a young football team that I have to protect"

It was a good interview but there was a disconnect. RR talked about how they were in 1st place and reflected on the 2014 or so season when the Panthers were like 3-8 but won the division at 7-8-1. And how this season is very much in play and he doesnt want to leave money on the table ...

but then says he says he has to protect the team by not calling TOS when down by 2 scores?

I dont quite understand who you are protecting or how not calling TOs protect anyone.
It doesn't add up, the injury thing is just an excuse and a poor one at that. If he's truly concerned about injuries why not take a few knees and go into the half vs continuing to run plays like the one where Gibson fumbled right before the half.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:58 PM   #128
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Again, RR did not draft Haskins so there is no loyalty. His leach will be a short one. There is a slim to almost no chance Haskins is the QB of the future.

Whenever a new coach comes in, unless the starter is well established, they want their own guy. Hell Rodgers has several years of good football left and they used their 1st rounder on a QB.
Well, explain this. Why didn't he just bring in Cam? He could have got his guy and been very competitive this year.

Ron doesn't need to have a quick hook because he's under no pressure to win this year and he is free to build for the long haul.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:05 PM   #129
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
It doesn't add up, the injury thing is just an excuse and a poor one at that. If he's truly concerned about injuries why not take a few knees and go into the half vs continuing to run plays like the one where Gibson fumbled right before the half.
My only thought is that he is nowhere close to feeling comfortable with where our 2 min offense is. I imagine with the shortened training camp, new coaches and so much new stuff to cover/install .. that there just was very little time to go over the 2 min drill.

He doesnt trust our offense and Haskins in a 2 min drill and doesnt want to see sacks or ints get added at the end of the game.

Just guessing ... bc it is odd.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:12 PM   #130
njant
Special Teams

Unhappy Re: How Many Games Should We Test Haskins?

it,s more than just haskins inconsistency ,we have no left side of our offensive line we need help there bad like a legit LT and LG also we also don,t have another game breaking wide receiver , our TE are huh so/so running back is a big question mark also even thou i do like gibson alot, and we also need a FS apke isn,t cutting it,so you add all this up and it comes out to we are basically throwing the ball to one WR with no running game what so ever we can,t run block and basically can,t pass block with a very inconsistent QB and this is why are offense is terrible
njant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:26 PM   #131
njant
Special Teams

were are we getting a QB from if we don,t get lawrence, fields ,or trey lance unless there is a big FA QB i am missing unless you want Dak for 35-40 mil a yr
njant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:27 PM   #132
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
No, probably because he wanted to keep getting one-on-one interviews with the coach.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:35 PM   #133
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
No, probably because he wanted to keep getting one-on-one interviews with the coach.
Lol

I advise everyone to listen to the post game presser when I think it’s Michael Phillips of the Richmond Times asked Ron with a short, direct question of why no times outs end of game within 2 scores?

Ron is pissed, you can hear it in his voice. It’s a don’t question me about it answer. Short and abrupt one word OK...like why are you asking me. He expands a lil bit there after

He Gets Us
Old 09-29-2020, 01:35 PM   #134
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
My only thought is that he is nowhere close to feeling comfortable with where our 2 min offense is. I imagine with the shortened training camp, new coaches and so much new stuff to cover/install .. that there just was very little time to go over the 2 min drill.

He doesnt trust our offense and Haskins in a 2 min drill and doesnt want to see sacks or ints get added at the end of the game.

Just guessing ... bc it is odd.
Which is funny because when the offense is sped up is when Haskins doesn't play like a wet fart in church

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:38 PM   #135
MTK
\m/

Sheehan suggested that Rivera has never been a strong clock manager, but I find it hard to believe that's why he's leaving timeouts in his back pocket.