F 0 0%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2018, 09:05 AM   #121
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Draft grades

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
I agree he's ok but I think we have a general bad feeling about him because he had some "I'm to scared to deliver" moments 2 seasons ago, I remember an onside kick where he had a clean opportunity to recover the ball and just F'd it up...
Agreed he does whatever you ask him to, which is valuable, but I'm not sure he's wowing anybody with any aspect of his game.

o for sure, he's never going to be a "wow" guy

Advertisements
Old 05-15-2018, 09:13 AM   #122
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Cooley's Film Breakdown of 6th round pick Shaun Dion Hamilton ILB

"He could see the field this year if needed" would about sum it up.
Nothing to be crazy about, solid back up, can come in and do the job if need be. This is a well used 6 round pick IMO!

+ crazy smart football mind, quick instinct, good physical tackler, big hitter, good zone coverage, will do everything you ask including ST

- just ok man coverage, just decent speed, a bit undersized

Brown and Foster as our starters, Zach Vigil and Hamilton behind them, I'd say we're set at ILB.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:14 AM   #123
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
[/B]

o for sure, he's never going to be a "wow" guy
This is where I think Trey Quinn could be a little more exciting than Grant.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:16 AM   #124
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
This is where I think Trey Quinn could be a little more exciting than Grant.
I hope so, kid has a lot of hype we'll see what he can do
Old 05-15-2018, 09:47 AM   #125
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:

Nothing to be crazy about, solid back up, can come in and do the job if need be. This is a well used 6 round pick IMO!

+ crazy smart football mind, quick instinct, good physical tackler, big hitter, good zone coverage, will do everything you ask including ST

Brown and Foster as our starters, Zach Vigil and Hamilton behind them, I'd say we're set at ILB.
when watching Alabama play, Hamilton name was constantly called on defensive. The thing I hear a lot about him...extremely intelligent...he has the ability to be a field general with calls. I think we lack this on defense.

If I recall...didn't they move up to get him?

I really like the pick...something ill say about the ILB position...the way everything is lining up, Foster and Zak could be moved on from rather easy after this year. So the depth guys and even Anderson could have a big opportunity coming. I think this is make or break camp for Spaight.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:54 AM   #126
MTK
\m/

Two positions you should draft every year and I like that we seem to... LB and DB
Old 05-15-2018, 10:07 AM   #127
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
when watching Alabama play, Hamilton name was constantly called on defensive. The thing I hear a lot about him...extremely intelligent...he has the ability to be a field general with calls. I think we lack this on defense.

I really like the pick...something ill say about the ILB position...the way everything is lining up, Foster and Zak could be moved on from rather easy after this year. So the depth guys and even Anderson could have a big opportunity coming. I think this is make or break camp for Spaight.
Absolutely right, had forgotten about it, we moved up 8 spots in the 6th (and down 25 spots in the 7th) to get him.

Foster is still under contract for 2 more seasons, Brown for 3.
So yeah, quality depth could prevent us from having to re-sign an aging Foster.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:12 AM   #128
Kope
Special Teams

I think this draft, will in the long run, be successful or not, based on how long we can keep Jim Tomsula, Torrian Gray and Bill Callahan. This is a major reason I believe we will be much better this year. While it is not an excuse the injuries we had last year were a couple of standard deviations outside the norm I would guess (not a math guy). So I love the drafting of semi projects, it shows faith in the staff and the current roster beyond what is recognized in the media for the most part. So heres to hoping we can keep these guys for a few more years.
Kope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:22 AM   #129
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kope View Post
I think this draft, will in the long run, be successful or not, based on how long we can keep Jim Tomsula, Torrian Gray and Bill Callahan. This is a major reason I believe we will be much better this year. While it is not an excuse the injuries we had last year were a couple of standard deviations outside the norm I would guess (not a math guy). So I love the drafting of semi projects, it shows faith in the staff and the current roster beyond what is recognized in the media for the most part. So heres to hoping we can keep these guys for a few more years.
I don't see Jim or Bill leaving until Jay does. They seem pretty close, Gray will be a candidate for someone sooner than later.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:43 AM   #130
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:

I know Spaight is considered the weak link.

Vigil was in front of him on the depth chart last year at the end of the season.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2018, 12:18 PM   #131
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYoungJelly View Post
I know Spaight is considered the weak link.

Vigil was in front of him on the depth chart last year at the end of the season.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
And so he should, Vigil was very consistent when he came in.

I think we tend to forgot about it because at that time we already had lost all hope on our season.
But he was around the ball very often, shed blocks pretty well and tackled consistently. Really not bad for a rookie!

Spaight showed some flashes but still made some mistakes IMO.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:19 PM   #132
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post

I saw a short interview with Doug Williams where he emphasized Hamilton's intelligence. Doug said the Redskins wanted him to back up Mason Foster as the play-caller and get everyone lined up the right way.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:00 PM   #133
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
And so he should, Vigil was very consistent when he came in.

I think we tend to forgot about it because at that time we already had lost all hope on our season.
But he was around the ball very often, shed blocks pretty well and tackled consistently. Really not bad for a rookie!

Spaight showed some flashes but still made some mistakes IMO.
Vigil does seem to have good instincts and gets himself around the ball and is a sound tackler. So he does make for a good depth guy. But you have to hide him in coverage, especially against the more athletic TEs, because he's just too limited to ever be capable of keeping up with them.

Thus you never want him as anything more than depth. If you put him on the field, then your other MLB (Zach) must be the one matched up against the stud TEs like Ertz.

Spaight is faster and quicker than Vigil but seems to be a mental disaster. Hamilton gives you more athleticism and thus has a higher ceiling than both. Still wouldn't match him up against good TEs yet, but there's hope he could eventually do OK because the athletic ceiling is just higher.

Spaight's not long for the 53, and thank God. If he hasn't figured it out yet, he's just not going to.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:23 PM   #134
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Vigil does seem to have good instincts and gets himself around the ball and is a sound tackler. So he does make for a good depth guy. But you have to hide him in coverage, especially against the more athletic TEs, because he's just too limited to ever be capable of keeping up with them.

Thus you never want him as anything more than depth. If you put him on the field, then your other MLB (Zach) must be the one matched up against the stud TEs like Ertz.

Spaight is faster and quicker than Vigil but seems to be a mental disaster. Hamilton gives you more athleticism and thus has a higher ceiling than both. Still wouldn't match him up against good TEs yet, but there's hope he could eventually do OK because the athletic ceiling is just higher.

Spaight's not long for the 53, and thank God. If he hasn't figured it out yet, he's just not going to.
I agree you don't want Vigil to be your starter.

But I'm not sure I would deem him not capable of ever becoming a decent covering LB.
He ran a 4.68 at his pro day.
That's not fast, but that is not crazy slow for a LB either: Mason Foster ran a 4.75 and is decent in zone coverage, he made some really nice plays in coverage. (Kuelchy ran a 4.58, Alex Ogletree 4.70, Demario Davis 4.61, Avery Williamson 4.66 to name a few good ILBs - Zach Brown ran a 4.50, which is why his inability to stick to his assignment in coverage is inexcusable).

Zach Vigil is 6'2" 240lbs, as long as you're not asking him to cover Gronk in man coverage one on one, he can develop into a really good back up/decent starter when needed IMHO.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:51 PM   #135
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Cooley's film breakdown of 7th round CB Greg Stroman

It seems we finally have a legit punt returner. Cooley says we can absolutely pencil him down as our starting punt returner.

-Only negative is his size, he's not a physical corner and can get easily blocked and bumped.

-A lot of positives as a slot corner, natural athlete, good hips, very good hands, ball hawk, excellent understanding of all route combinations. He thinks he will make plays on the ball and was questioning the fact that his size would really be a problem !