Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Domestic terrorism

Debating with the enemy

Old 01-07-2016, 12:29 PM   #121
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Domestic terrorism

The city of Chicago and the state of Illinois has the strictest gun control in the country...how has that curbed the continuing violence in the murder capital of the country, Chicago?

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-07-2016, 04:10 PM   #122
MTK
\m/

I'll never understand the fascination with guns.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:24 PM   #123
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
That's probably because you see the world through life in a basically secure nation, and (I'm assuming) feel the government that we have is a natural state. Much like Maslow's Hierarchy would imply, many people don't feel that level of security, and so they want the ability to secure themselves and their families properly. Guns, in the hands of trained people, are a protective instrument like no other. They definitely can give a sense of security to the owner and a sense of self-protection if the government were to turn from the past to a more oppressive form.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 05:19 PM   #124
Hijinx
The Starter

Quote:
A lot of the people who are into guns usually come from families with a gun culture. It is ingrained into them early and they don't see anything wrong with it and get very defensive about outside ideas on the subject. They deny any facts that don't fall inline with what they want to believe. It is quite like religion or a cult.

Also gun people tend to be people who can't deal with fear as well.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:39 PM   #125
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hijinx View Post
A lot of the people who are into guns usually come from families with a gun culture. It is ingrained into them early and they don't see anything wrong with it and get very defensive about outside ideas on the subject. They deny any facts that don't fall inline with what they want to believe. It is quite like religion or a cult.

Well said !
Old 01-07-2016, 07:25 PM   #126
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Matty, on one side of my family from around Richmond I have uncle who farms, aunt who raises horses, and lots of cousins who hunt...they are good folks who have been raised around guns. It's kinda a culture thing. But they aren't fanatical about it becuase its second nature...they don't think about it. Another side of my mom family up in southern Maryland, x government worker has like 8 gun closets, probably has close to 100 guns...intellectual type...he is a collector, has a special license to buy. He hunts every now and then, but just likes to shoot. Then his brother up in Minnesota is x miltary, intellectual and I believe he still shoots based on that military experience. All responsible gun owners. Nothing about them says gun nut.

I guess I'll never understand the fascination of gang members to walk around and feel a need to shoot each other. Folks in their neighborhood, community, etc. I'm kinda lost there....

He Gets Us
Old 01-07-2016, 07:40 PM   #127
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:

This describes folks who illegally possess a gun.

He Gets Us
Old 01-07-2016, 07:51 PM   #128
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

The major driver of gun control is the mass shooting...yes this is a problem. Most of these folks were mentally ill. Anybody mentally ill shouldn't own a gun.

I also think there is a direct correlation with the rise of mass shooting with the rise of social media. A lot of seeking a way to stand out and live in infamy.

He Gets Us
Old 01-08-2016, 04:36 AM   #129
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
The city of Chicago and the state of Illinois has the strictest gun control in the country...how has that curbed the continuing violence in the murder capital of the country, Chicago?
if you have strict gun control in chicago and no gun control in michigan (just as an example) then you have no real gun control in chicago. if gun shows don't require background checks and dealers can sell directly to people stating that they couldn't pass a check if they had to, then you don't really have background checks either.

of course universal checks don't really solve a large myriad of problems like the extant supply of guns already out there etc.

I've got no problem with responsible people having whatever guns they want, but the "everyone should be carrying" crowd is a bit scary. maybe you've never been in a bar when someone decides to whip one out, but it's not really a safe environment. having 18 more drunk people also decide to pull out guns is, um... even less safe.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:23 AM   #130
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
if you have strict gun control in chicago and no gun control in michigan (just as an example) then you have no real gun control in chicago. if gun shows don't require background checks and dealers can sell directly to people stating that they couldn't pass a check if they had to, then you don't really have background checks either.

of course universal checks don't really solve a large myriad of problems like the extant supply of guns already out there etc.

I've got no problem with responsible people having whatever guns they want, but the "everyone should be carrying" crowd is a bit scary. maybe you've never been in a bar when someone decides to whip one out, but it's not really a safe environment. having 18 more drunk people also decide to pull out guns is, um... even less safe.
I don't have a problem if the president want to expand and strengthen the background checks.

Like the president said, none of the proposals would have stop any of the mass shootings. Also like the president agreed last night, violent crime rates are at an all time low and gun ownership is at all time high. The last 30 years murder rate has dropped drastically. Minors killed by guns his dropped massively.

So I would ask, why does Chicago enjoy using guns to kill one another? Y is Chicago out of step with most of the country? Try having that discussion. Why doesn't Obama pick up the phone and talk with his close friend who runs that city? Excuses in Chicago have run out...

He Gets Us
Old 01-08-2016, 08:18 AM   #131
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Quote:

Old 01-08-2016, 08:29 AM   #132
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I don't have a problem if the president want to expand and strengthen the background checks.

Like the president said, none of the proposals would have stop any of the mass shootings. Also like the president agreed last night, violent crime rates are at an all time low and gun ownership is at all time high. The last 30 years murder rate has dropped drastically. Minors killed by guns his dropped massively.

So I would ask, why does Chicago enjoy using guns to kill one another? Y is Chicago out of step with most of the country? Try having that discussion. Why doesn't Obama pick up the phone and talk with his close friend who runs that city? Excuses in Chicago have run out...
chicagos a whole can of worms that has a lot to do with socio-economics etc. it's something that really should be addressed, and probably needs to be looked at top down. it's not just a gun problem though.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:59 AM   #133
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Two refugees arrested on terror-related charges - CNN.com

Here is an under reported story...you cant even find it on msnbc, strange how that is?

He Gets Us
Old 01-08-2016, 09:00 AM   #134
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:

I just love when people speak with a certainty about another person's subjective intent and personality traits and particularly when they transfer this certainty to the intent of a large group of individuals.

The whole topic of gun control creates so many idiotic statements that I despair as to any real dialogue. Each side just points at the other and says "I don't understand why you disagree with me so you must be stupid."
Old 01-08-2016, 09:00 AM   #135
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Totally agree.

We went to Cabals in DE last week with our neighbors. We were walking around the gun part just laughing our asses off at what a waste of money it was. We really lost our shit when we came to the "champagne room" where they kept the even fancier more stupid expensive guns.

Sorry if I offended anyone but it just seems like a total waste to me. Go buy a PS4 and and COD and just have at it.