Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-24-2007, 12:44 PM   #121
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Great Playcalling, Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Watch the Patriots.
The only difference yesterday was the Pats attempted a couple of deep passes with a 24-7 lead and completed them building their lead to 38-7, the Redskins attempted a couple of deep passes (Moss, Cooley) and didn't complete them erasing the 14-3 lead and making it 17-17.

Advertisements
Old 09-24-2007, 12:57 PM   #122
BrunellMVP?
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
The only difference yesterday was the Pats attempted a couple of deep passes with a 24-7 lead and completed them building their lead to 38-7, the Redskins attempted a couple of deep passes (Moss, Cooley) and didn't complete them erasing the 14-3 lead and making it 17-17.
I honestly don't remember deep balls tossed to Moss or Cooley when we were up 14-3. when was this?
I remember a long bomb to santana (caught) and that is pretty much it. perhaps we have differing views on what constitutes a deep pass- or perhaps I was buying a beer...
in writing these daily letters and trying to make them interesting it is always possible that some sentiment may occur which has not received the severe and deliberate scrutiny and reconsideration which should attach to a State Paper.
- Churchill
BrunellMVP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:02 PM   #123
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunellMVP? View Post
I honestly don't remember deep balls tossed to Moss or Cooley when we were up 14-3. when was this?
I remember a long bomb to santana (caught) and that is pretty much it. perhaps we have differing views on what constitutes a deep pass- or perhaps I was buying a beer...
By NFL rules, a "deep pass" is one that travels at least 15 yards in the air. Around the time of Campbell's fumble (that the Skins recovered) there was an incomplete deep pass to Cooley. Score was 14-3 at the time

After Droughns scored from 1 yard out to make it 17-10 Redskins, there was an incomplete deep pass to Moss. I'm not positive but this may have been the one that seemed like pretty blatant pass interference (if not illegal contact). I remember there was one play where I couldn't believe no flag was thrown.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:14 PM   #124
brent
Special Teams

I always like to go RRP too...rock rock paper. They never see that paper coming.
brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:11 PM   #125
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Or it is just that coaches are more comfortable with Brady going deep and making throws with a lead than we are with Campbell.
We DID go deep with the lead and tied. 3 times. We only ran 11 offensive plays, and thats a HUGE percentage of those plays.

The intermediate passing game was underutilized, but its not like we have one. Opening drive of the second half we threw two straight passes to Moss in the intermediate zone and Campbell missed. Bad.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:14 PM   #126
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I brought this up in another thread. How come we never are in the shotgun on 1st down? How come we don't run 3rd down offense on 1st down? That is the best time to make big plays. On first down, not 3rd and long. I could go on and on......
I agree with you here BUT its not a big enough advantage to really matter. I'd like to see more first down passes and more third down runs too, but theres no reason to think that this method would work a lot better than the current one.

I do know it couldn't hurt.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:18 PM   #127
birdz4gibbs
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by number21isabadman View Post
i think everyone on this warpath overlooked the giants just like the redskins did!
i was one of the few in here that said the skins needed to be very careful of this team..they were coming in here 0-2 and getting ripped by the media and we were coming off a monday nighter at philly with a short work week.this gave me the feeling that this was a game the skins better be careful with and to boot it,s your typical nfc east slugfest for four quarters..

the end result speaks for itself and it sucks.......
Old 09-24-2007, 02:20 PM   #128
rypper11
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwagonskins View Post
campbell makes clutch plays to get them to the one and they take the ball out of his hands. it was there for the taking and they give it to the second string RB. Twice.
yet nobody is mentioning his fumble after Moss' catch, his rushing with plenty of clock left on the final play or his low and away to Sellers. He will improve and I think he'll be Pro Bowl for years to come. But right now, not Tom Brady.
Be fair.
rypper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:53 PM   #129
jdlea
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgack View Post
I gotta disagree with you here -- Jason's arm is one of his many gifts, and I think we both know that if he'd been out there throwing dink-and-dunk (like we've seen for the past how many years??), we'd all be bitching about how we don't ever throw down the field.

We are supposed to have receivers who can stretch the field and catch those kinds of passes. Now, Jason's accuracy hasn't been pinpoint, but I do think that he's thrown some catchable deep balls, that Santana Moss '05 would definitely have caught, for one, and maybe even Brandon Lloyd '05 would have gone up and grabbed.

Think about how many drops we've seen on those deep balls in the past 3 weeks that would have been absolute back-breakers and momentum changers... those things force defensive coordinators to change their schemes. Those things convince Joe it's safe to mix it up instead of relying on the Super Bowl Security Blanket (conservative playcalling).
I don't think I really illustrated my point all that well in the original post. I don't have a problem with them throwing the deep ball, not at all, not even a little. I didn't like, though that it seemed passes were either swing passes or 40 yard bombs yesterday, until the last drive at least. Maybe the Giants D was taking that away earlier in the game, I don't know, I don't watch game tape. However, I would have liked to have seen more 15-20 yard ins and digs. They need to get more guys open coming across the field when the offense isn't hitting than trying to catch lightning in a bottle.

Now, that's not to say that I don't want him going downfield at all, I just think it needs to be mixed in a little bit better, like in the Philly game when it seemed that outs and digs were killing them. Then, late Santana gets free deep. I would rather see the ball spread around the 15-25 yard range more than it was yesterday.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote