Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

A New Look Offense or the Same but Better?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #121
los panda
Pro Bowl

Re: A New Look Offense or the Same but Better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Why not the 1991 Redskins?
fast/slender qb with an accurate/rocket arm (the arm sleeve tops it off) is why 1998 vikings offense. setting the record for points scored would be the cherry on top.

wouldn't mind some shades of the 1991 redskins offense, either

Advertisements
Old 05-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #122
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
If you look at the trends, the Texans are really similar to us (I suppose thats not the most surprising thing). They're a lot better on offense, sure, but the down/distance splits break down almost exactly identical.
Thanks again bro.
But, I'm scratching my head on the the bolded portion. of your quote.
I guess they're kinda in the same ball park in some areas but I don't see identical.
I'd say they're somewhat close on 1st downs rushing/All 1st downs.
But its hard to guage the degree of difference between the data sets without seeing some other teams figures
For example: 1st down passing:
Texans: 3rd @ 59.2%
B&G: 7th @ 36.5%
Are they as close as the ranking suggests(3rd vs 7th) ? Or was far apart as the % suggests?

But, when it gets to 2nd down even without the knowing where the other teams fall their is a large disparity, first off the rankings are separated by almost 10 spots. And the Texans % figures are all in the positive and ours are all in the negative.

It would be great if this down/distance/run/pass DVOA was coordinated to matching YPA then it would be evening more meaningful.

For example what YPA do the Texans/B&G have on 1st downs rushing? etc..

Last edited by 30gut; 05-29-2012 at 05:32 PM.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:44 AM   #123
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Bubble screen!

(Anyone who heard the commentary during the OK State game will understand...)
The Baylor Bears ran that particular play a lot last season. If Kyle Shanahan incorporates that play into the Redskins passing game, I wouldn't be at all surprised.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #124
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
The Baylor Bears ran that particular play a lot last season. If Kyle Shanahan incorporates that play into the Redskins passing game, I wouldn't be at all surprised.

Garcon is deadly at 4 routes. Screens, slants, drags, and go/9 routes. I would be shocked as well if KS didn't have Griffin throwing bubble screens this year.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #125
los panda
Pro Bowl

anyone remember that screen to moss against kansas city years ago? it went for big yardage, can't remember if it went all the way
Old 05-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #126
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
anyone remember that screen to moss against kansas city years ago? it went for big yardage, can't remember if it went all the way
Yeah I remember that. 78 yarder, went for a touchdown. That was 2005 I believe. I'd love for him to get a couple of those this season with RG3 at qb.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #127
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Yeah I remember that. 78 yarder, went for a touchdown. That was 2005 I believe. I'd love for him to get a couple of those this season with RG3 at qb.
thanks moobs, i remember i was picking up some some buffalo wings at wings to go and yelled/clapped real loud. my friend got embarrassed (bills fan) and asked me to quiet down.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #128
los panda
Pro Bowl

0:47
NFL Videos: Chiefs 28, Redskins 21
Old 06-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #129
30gut
Playmaker

On changing the offense to take advantage of Robert Griffin III’s strengths:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Shanahan
Anytime you have a person that has that type of speed, you feel like you’re able to do some things that maybe those teams can’t do with their quarterback. A lot of quarterbacks are just considered runners. Robert has proven that he can drop back and throw with anybody in the National Football League. He has that type of arm strength. Everything else is a progression. You’re going to learn year-by-year, and each year, each snap he gets, he’s going to better and better. You’ve got to account for that speed. We can do some things – if it’s running the option, running the counter option, doing things that are not going to be the staple of your offense – that really dictate what defenses can do and can’t do.”

On the adjustments to the playbook to utilize Griffin’s running ability:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Shanahan
What happens is that different things you’ve done in college, like when I was at Oklahoma, we ran the wishbone and we ran the veer – different things, a little bit what colleges are doing right now. Sometimes they do it out of the shotgun, sometimes they do it out of an option here. Cam Newton did a little bit of it last year. [It] keeps defenses honest because they’ve just got to prepare, and it makes it a little bit easier to do other things. The more a quarterback can do, the better chance you have to be successful.”
Is this the way Kyle feels also?
Coachspeak? or Truth?
Old 06-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #130
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post

Is this the way Kyle feels also?
Coachspeak? or Truth?
thats the real question...Kyle needs to prove alot this year. Id be much more comfortable with Shanny running the O. For some reason I dont think Kyle wants to change anything.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #131
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
thats the real question...Kyle needs to prove alot this year. Id be much more comfortable with Shanny running the O. For some reason I dont think Kyle wants to change anything.
I think Kyle Shanahan will change a few things. Now that Robert Grifffin III is in the Redskins fold, I expect Kyle Shanahan to take a few things from the Baylor Bears playbook that RG3 did so well while in college and modify their version of the west coast offense a bit. The bubble screens along with other concepts could very well be implemented enough to give RG3 enough of a chance to succeed. It would be foolish of Kyle Shanahan to just hand RG3 a playbook and not have anything else in creative in mind to add along to it.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #132
30gut
Playmaker

Mike talk pretty(option) one day

if it’s running the option, running the counter option, doing things that are not going to be the staple of your offense – that really dictate what defenses can do and can’t do

keeps defenses honest because they’ve just got to prepare, and it makes it a little bit easier to do other things. The more a quarterback can do, the better chance you have to be successful
.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
I think Kyle Shanahan will change a few things. Now that Robert Grifffin III is in the Redskins fold, I expect Kyle Shanahan to take a few things from the Baylor Bears playbook that RG3 did so well while in college and modify their version of the west coast offense a bit.
I don't think bubble screen would be a new wrinkle since its already part of the offense.
However the quotes from Mike Shanahan above specifically mention option/counter option.

And in that case the possibilities are intriguing....if we did anything close to this wow....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from Smart Football
The new new thing. The spread offense, as it has matured, seems like it continues to absorb and assimilate every offensive football concept ever run — quick passing game, option, single-wing, wing-T, etc — and the play-action passing game is no different. The rise of pistol and even three-back “Diamond” formations have been big factors in spread offenses incorporating using more and more play-action over the past few seasons. And with the rise of the “inverted veer,” which involves a pulling guard and has the quarterback read a play-side defender (as opposed to a backside defender as with the zone read), it was only inevitable that offenses would use that play as the foundation for play-action.

And no one did it better this past season than Art Briles and Robert Griffin III at Baylor. Griffin, of course, throws a beautiful deep ball — probably the best I’ve seen from a collegiate player in at least a decade. But he also benefited from a lot of wide open deep tosses, often off this very run action. The typical inverted veer play is as drawn up below:

So how do you adapt this to play-action using the same principles as above? You guessed it: The line to the play-side blocks down while the pulling linemen is responsible for the defensive end to his side, i.e. the “C” gap.

One important note is that as I have drawn this up — which is how Baylor typically ran it — there are only five offensive players pass blocking. Unlike above where the backside tackle steps down and an H-back or fullback has the C gap, here the backside tackle just locks on to the defensive end. Note that one can easily put another blocker there backside to get a sound six-man surface.

In any event, as shown here as well as the video clips below, Baylor decimated people with this concept. They loved to fake the inverted veer one way and to have the backside slot get deep, often off of a fake-slant-and-go concept. But any passing concept should work, especially considering that the runningback becomes a swing or flare-control checkdown receiver.

So that’s how to use the pulling lineman with the inverted veer. The other method to pull a linemen in pass protection from a spread set — one used by many college and pro teams — is not quite as good in terms of the run fake but still does the trick and it provides a full six-man pass protection surface. In this method, shown below, the pulling linemen and the runningback go in opposite directions. I have shown this with a pulling tackle to mimic the common “Dart” run play, where the playside tackle pass sets and the backside tackle, not the backside guard, is the one pulling. For the play-action concept, essentially the interior line squeezes down while the runningback and pulling tackle are responsible for the C gaps — and outside rushers — to either side. And, as mentioned above, this has traditionally not been a difficult block because those defensive ends tend to read run and step down, waiting for a ballcarrier.

click the link to the great article and video clip:

“A very wise coach once told me, ‘If you really want play-action, you better pull a guard’” — Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III agree | Smart Football

Last edited by 30gut; 06-01-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #133
30gut
Playmaker

Imagine using a series of play similar to the ones below as a compliment to the base offense +Griffin's throwing ability:

Old 06-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #134
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

We already know RG3 will be used in the wildcat formation. If the coaches called the wildcat using Brandon Banks in 2010, why not call that same play using Robert Griffin III in 2012?
Old 06-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #135
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

With RG3 & the speed on OF we have the options might become endless IMO.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote