Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Our next coach??

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-20-2009, 12:27 AM   #121
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Our next coach??

Did someone say Switzer?

It will get pretty interesting if Lovie Smith, John Fox, and Jeff Fisher all find themselves on the market as well

Advertisements
Old 11-20-2009, 12:55 AM   #122
warpaint
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Did someone say Switzer?

It will get pretty interesting if Lovie Smith, John Fox, and Jeff Fisher all find themselves on the market as well
That would be me:confused:

Cowher I had to google him just now. I'll try to clean it up
Old 11-20-2009, 02:32 AM   #123
skins89moss
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
i just think zorn is on a leash and told what he is allowed to do, i think that any coach wanting to "find a spark" would try a seemingly amazing talent in mithcell

and as far as the play calling i honestly haven't seen anything that drastic, i guess you are refering to the times in which plays are called, i just feel that are o was the same with minor changes if the first few games with sherm, but once cp went out we started to light it up.

i guess my point would be that sherm has helped out a little bit, but portis getting a concusion actually helped us out more, as weird as that may seem, just because portis has been playing hurt all year and no one could actually stop him from sutiing up and playing, until he got the concussion

betts has been PRACTICING with first team and has a rythm with them which goes a long way
I think most of us were calling for Ladell Betts to be released this season because when he comes in the game he did not make plays. I think the O-Line has blocked much better the last 2 games than they have all season. Lets not mistake it that Portis is a better back than Betts will ever be but maybe Portis was playing hurst and also our O-line was just awful the 1st 7 games. This Sunday against Dallas we will see how well Betts does against a good Dallas front 7. Ladell Betts better hope our O-line can block Jay Rattlif and Demarcus Ware or it will be a long day for him.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:36 AM   #124
skins89moss
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
I've been a Zorn supporter from the start but as CRedskinsRule has pointed out before, his playcalling has not been that great. He seems to try to be too smart in the redzone. For example the stretch play works in theory, but running straight ahead works best for US. We don't always have to outsmart people in the redzone, just outplay them. It may do him good to stand back a little and learn. We started moving the ball when Betts took over and that doesn't really surprise me. For one thing he knows the plays and practices behind the o-line throughout the week. Half the time I don't have a clue what Portis is trying to do and I'm not sure if he knows either. I'm glad to see Betts get his chance because even though Portis has more talent, Betts is a better fit because he puts in the effort during the week and the o-line knows they can count on him. They know he's gonna hit the hole and run downhill. Portis usually runs into their back or falls down then complains about the blocking.
Yea we dont have the backs to be running stretch plays. Our backs are better suited to run down hill. Good coaches no what their players strengths are and call plays that help them make plays.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:52 AM   #125
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Mort was on ESPN980 with Vinny Cerrato and Vinny was asking for updates on The Big 4:

Jon Gruden - There's no way he leaves ESPN before 2012. (So maybe when our next coach doesnt turn the franchise around after 2 years, Snyder can fire that guy and hire Gruden then).

Mike Holmgren - The chances of him taking the Brown's job are slim to none. Holmgren only interviewed in Cleaveland to perform due diligence and Cleaveland against the job he really wants in Seattle. Mike Holmgren does not get along with the Seahawk's current GM, whose contract is up at the end of the year. He and the owner have a great relationship and Holmgren views Seattle as his ideal job. If someone else were to offer him $10MM to go elsewhere and it was a good situation, he might consider it. But it would have to be a situation where the owner said, "here's money, the team is yours. Do whatever you want with it and you won't hear from me again for another 5 years."

Cowher - Will probably return to coaching in 2010, but its not garaunteed. It would have to be the right situation for him to leave CBS, but he really wants to caoch. he's telling people he wants to coach a warm weather team.

Shanahan - Wilson has not had success hiring big names. He's only interviewing Shahanan to pacify the fan base.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.

Last edited by BigHairedAristocrat; 11-20-2009 at 12:20 PM.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #126
dmek25
MVP

i would love to have Jeff Fisher here. i cant say it enough. cant get more from a stability stand point then Fisher
Old 11-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #127
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Mort was on ESPN980 with Vinny Cerrato and Vinny was asking for updates on The Big 4:

Jon Gruden - There's no way he leaves ESPN before 2012. (So maybe when our next coach doesnt turn the franchise around after 2 years, Snyder can fire that guy and hire Gruden then).
It's possible he'd leave before then, but it won't be easy

Quote:
Mike Holmgren - The chances of him taking the Brown's job are slim to none. Holmgren only interviewed in Cleaveland to perform due diligence and Cleaveland against the job he really wants in Seattle. Mike Holmgren does not get along with the Seahawk's current GM, whose contract is up at the end of the year. He and the owner have a great relationship and Holmgren views Seattle as his ideal job. If someone else were to offer him $10MM to go elsewhere and it was a good situation, he might consider it. But it would have to be a situation where the owner said, "here's money, the team is yours. Do whatever you want with it and you won't hear from me again for another 5 years."
Hadn't thought about him going back to Seattle. So it's Ruskell he doesn't like? Wonder if we should make a run at Ruskell? Holmgren doesn't seem to like sharing responsibilities with anyone. There's always seems to be an issue with him not liking a President or GM. Can't blame him for liking Paul Allen though

Quote:
Cowher - Will probably return to coaching in 2010, but its not garaunteed. It would have to be the right situation for him to leave CBS, but he really wants to caoch. he's telling people he wants to coach a warm weather team.
Redskins are probably still a dark horse for him. But I think he comes back to Carolina, though I'd keep an eye on Tampa potentially. Interesting thing about him is I'm not sure he wants to have GM responsibilities

Quote:
Shanahan - Lerner has not had success hiring big names. He's only interviewing Shahanan to pacify the fan base.
Browns are interviewing Shanahan?
Old 11-20-2009, 12:08 PM   #128
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
i would love to have Jeff Fisher here. i cant say it enough. cant get more from a stability stand point then Fisher
I wouldn't be against that as long as a good new GM was included in that mix.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:19 PM   #129
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Hadn't thought about him going back to Seattle. So it's Ruskell he doesn't like? Wonder if we should make a run at Ruskell? Holmgren doesn't seem to like sharing responsibilities with anyone. There's always seems to be an issue with him not liking a President or GM. Can't blame him for liking Paul Allen though
In that scenario, we could probably keep our same offensive philosophy. I wonder who he would bring in as HC.

Quote:
Redskins are probably still a dark horse for him. But I think he comes back to Carolina, though I'd keep an eye on Tampa potentially. Interesting thing about him is I'm not sure he wants to have GM responsibilities
I seem to remember reading that Snyder doesn't like Cowher anymore for some reason... i'd love it if he came here though, obviously.

Quote:
Browns are interviewing Shanahan?
Oops my bad. meant to say Ralph Wilson, the Bills owner. I've corrected my original post, thanks.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:21 PM   #130
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I'm not sure that Snyder likes Cowher less so much as there are more guys to choose from now. I'm not sure I see him here anyway
Old 11-20-2009, 02:42 PM   #131
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

I don't see him here, either, although its not because I wouldnt love it. Cowher has a "tough," strong, confident, personality and I think Snyder is intimidated by that. The last time we had a strong confident HC was Shottenheimer, and Snyder fired him after a year, to the extreme detriment of the franchise.

The only way i could see Cowher ever coming here is with someone like Gibbs in President role and a GM of Cowher & Gibbs chosing making personnel decisions. That is my "dream scenario" and one that would provide enough insulation between Snyder and the HC. However, since Snyder loves, respects, and admires Gibbs so much, he wouldnt perceive it as insulation. If Snyder was upset with Cowher about something, Gibbs could just say, "ill talk to him." If Snyder wanted a certain player really badly in the offseason, Gibbs could say, "yeah, i think thats a good idea. Let me talk it over with the GM and we'll see what we can do." All the while, the GM and HC can simply go about thier jobs with minimal interruption.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #132
calia
Playmaker

As much as that scenario might be attractive, I don't see Gibbs ever returning to the NFL in any capacity. I think losing Sean Taylor and his grandson's health struggles really took it out of him (and who could blame him for that?), and it forced him to realize that his NFL life -- which was 24/7 for him, and always would be -- was incomparible with his desire to spend quality time with family.
calia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:44 PM   #133
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post

ESPN.com has an article that says otherwise
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:56 PM   #134
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Heard on NBC tonights late news, Jerry Gray is in consideration for a college coaching job. Don't know more than that...

I like what i have heard from him, I imagine he will go somewhere else next year
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:04 AM   #135
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
ESPN.com has an article that says otherwise
Retired coach Holmgren 'absolutely would love' to chat with Browns

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote