Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

North Korea: Threat or Blackmailer?

Debating with the enemy

Old 04-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #121
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Re: North Korea: Threat or Blackmailer?

It is about NK. But ... to fail to recognize that the situation has been ratcheted up b/c of NK's most recent rhetoric and is further complicated NK's reliance on China and vice-versa is to ignore a potentially explosive situation.

Regardless of NK's idiocy, our relations with China will take a much more serious turn if China feels the US is trying to exploit the situation.

Advertisements
Old 04-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #122
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
It is about NK. But ... to fail to recognize that the situation has been ratcheted up b/c of NK's most recent rhetoric and is further complicated NK's reliance on China and vice-versa is to ignore a potentially explosive situation.

Regardless of NK's idiocy, our relations with China will take a much more serious turn if China feels the US is trying to exploit the situation.
Agreed, and lately I think it has actually been going better.
China is showing signs of being exasperated with North Korea and is buying more and more into our sanction program.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #123
firstdown
Living Legend

China and the US need each other too much to strain our relations. End of story.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #124
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Yea buddy, gunboat diplomacy comin your way!

U.S. would seek regime change in North Korea if attack occurs - Washington Times
Old 04-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #125
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Hopefully the DPRK will die with a whimper, not a bang. Like the USSR did.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #126
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

daily first look

North Korea's aggression could strengthen US-China alliance | Fox News

Tensions With North Korea Unsettle South’s Economy

N Korea said to move second missile to coast - Asia-Pacific - Al Jazeera English

and oddly:
North Korea urges Russia, Britain to evacuate embassies| Herald Sun
Quote:
A spokesman for Britain's Foreign Office told London's Daily Telegraph:

"We can confirm that the British embassy in Pyongyang received a communication from the North Korean government this morning.

"It said that the North Korean government would be unable to guarantee the safety of embassies and international organisations in the country in the event of conflict from April 10."

Last edited by CRedskinsRule; 04-05-2013 at 08:59 AM.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #127
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Loved this tweet from HTTR24-7:
Quote:
Someone needs to sit Kim Jong Un down and show him Zero Dark Thirty.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #128
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I find it interesting that when a SK exec from Kaesong said that NK told them to be out by the 10th, he quickly backtracked, and yet now it looks like that was a deadline NK is imposing. I also find it interesting that the SK minister who at first said a 4th nuke test looked likely, now says it's routine movement. I don't think we are getting the real story from our government on all of this.

From the NK newspiece organization(google kcna):
Quote:
DPRK FM Statement Distributed as UNSC Official Document
Pyongyang, April 6 (KCNA) -- A statement of the DPRK Foreign Ministry was distributed as an official document of the UN Security Council S/2013/194 on April 1. The statement was made public on March 26 as regards the fact that the U.S. hostile act against the DPRK has reached the phase of a nuclear war.
I think our analysts really don't want to believe a madman may be in charge over there, but there rhetoric is way above anything in the near recent past. You can go to that KCNA link, and look at other periods of tension (I did that over this past weekend) and you can see that the words and rhetoric was never anything close to as bellicose and drumlike as it is now. Yes some of the phrases (referring to SK as a puppet, and touch and go politics, and some others) are similar, but this time, they consistently refer to the honorable final battle of reunification under the banner of Songun (or noble fight). And to the fact that the US has "laid seige" to them by the sanctions and refusing to acknowledge their rights as a sovereign nation. and so on and so on.

As the NK said, the moment of explosion is near. I really hope it's a temper tantrum, and not a "final battle to decide the outcome of the Korean Unification" as they are describing it.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #129
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I find it interesting that when a SK exec from Kaesong said that NK told them to be out by the 10th, he quickly backtracked, and yet now it looks like that was a deadline NK is imposing. I also find it interesting that the SK minister who at first said a 4th nuke test looked likely, now says it's routine movement. I don't think we are getting the real story from our government on all of this.

From the NK newspiece organization(google kcna):

I think our analysts really don't want to believe a madman may be in charge over there, but there rhetoric is way above anything in the near recent past. You can go to that KCNA link, and look at other periods of tension (I did that over this past weekend) and you can see that the words and rhetoric was never anything close to as bellicose and drumlike as it is now. Yes some of the phrases (referring to SK as a puppet, and touch and go politics, and some others) are similar, but this time, they consistently refer to the honorable final battle of reunification under the banner of Songun (or noble fight). And to the fact that the US has "laid seige" to them by the sanctions and refusing to acknowledge their rights as a sovereign nation. and so on and so on.

As the NK said, the moment of explosion is near. I really hope it's a temper tantrum, and not a "final battle to decide the outcome of the Korean Unification" as they are describing it.
I read somewhere (probably on one of the links in this thread) that Kim Jong Un ramped up his rhetoric so the top military commanders dont think hes a p#$$y. I dont know if its due to legitimate concerns of a military coup or just to make himself look strong.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #130
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
I read somewhere (probably on one of the links in this thread) that Kim Jong Un ramped up his rhetoric so the top military commanders dont think hes a p#$$y. I dont know if its due to legitimate concerns of a military coup or just to make himself look strong.
He's the kid of a dictator who was the kid of a dictator, historically this does not bode well for rational decision making.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #131
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

For those thinking China has a handle on this:
From Yahoo news (don't hate the source):

Quote:
Ian Bremmer, president of Eurasia Group, a global political risk research and consulting firm, joined The Daily Ticker remotely from New Dehli to discuss whether Washington should be concerned about the North Korean threats.

Bremmer was in China over the last couple of days and met with Chinese officials. "They wanted to make it clear that they hoped the U.S. recognized how much more the Chinese are trying to do to push the North Koreans," he says. "[And] they made it clear they don't really have a direct line to Kim Jon-un right now."

"That should worry us," Bremmer adds.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #132
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

And now for today's pronouncement:
North Korea warns foreigners to leave South

Yes, I am buying into this guy thinks he can start, and win, a war on the Korean peninsula. I also believe that he deems respect very important(along the ways a mafia boss might look at respect), and that when he sees his warnings being so totally laughed at and ignored, both by SK citizens and foreign governments, he may very well become of the mindset "I'll show them who's effing around".

While I do think a missile test allows him to spin it as the forces of the DPRK standing up to the US, I'm not sure it's enough to settle his ego, or need for respect from the rest of the world.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #133
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Seems like the appropriate response (as opposed to the my ship's bigger than your ship gunship mentality of earlier)

Is the U.S. working to de-escalate a North Korean standoff?
Old 04-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #134
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...acuate-South??

Quote:
NORTH Korea has completed preparations for a mid-range missile launch tomorrow from its east coast, officials in Seoul have revealed – just hours after foreigners living in South Korea were warned to quit the country.

Eventually, if you keep talking shit, you are going to get smacked in the mouth. Telling people to leave SK, and then firing a "test" missile. It's asking to be attacked.

I still don't think this is Jong Un's doing, but more the people behind him. I think he still has to show his people and generals that he's a top dog just like his dad and grand pops.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty

Last edited by NC_Skins; 04-09-2013 at 11:59 AM.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #135
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...acuate-South??

Eventually, if you keep talking shit, you are going to get smacked in the mouth. Telling people to leave SK, and then firing a "test" missile. It's asking to be attacked.

I still don't think this is Jong Un's doing, but more the people behind him. I think he still has to show his people and generals that he's a top dog just like his dad and grand pops.
I just don't understand why people(media) assume this is a test. I hope that the military isn't assuming that. I think he believes his country to be on equal par with the US now that he has useful nukes, and his military believes in the strength of numbers in terms of soldiers.