Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

P90x

Parking Lot

Old 04-01-2010, 08:31 PM   #121
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Re: P90x

MLM has always been precursor for bad news......

Just completed my first day of the X. I did Chest and Back, followed up with a surprise Ab Ripper X that i had no idea was part of Chest and Back until i double checked to see what was going on. I actually held my own with the Chest and Back, but got absolutely murdered in the Ab Ripper X. I honestly dont think ive done more then 10 sit ups at a time since my Presidential Fitness Award days in elementary school (my mom still has all mine framed in my room).

I feel like im gonna be a slightly sore but not in a real bad way. Im pretty worried about lower body work out stuff, particularly Polymetrics which i hear is a bitch. I am probably the most inactive out of all my friends and coworkers, and even back in high school i never really worked out my legs and stuff.

Also thanks everyone for your words of concern, i cant wait to get this whole thing behind me.

Advertisements
Old 04-02-2010, 07:55 AM   #122
MTK
\m/

Abs are tough to start, but you'll be surprised at how quickly you'll get up to speed.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:50 AM   #123
MTK
\m/

46 days down! Past the halfway mark on this bitch.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:50 PM   #124
mlmdub130
Playmaker

getting back into it on monday i have actually really missed it, i did weigh in at 199.8 on friday, i haven't been under 200 in atleast 3 years

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:01 PM   #125
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

congrats guys, keep it up
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #126
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
46 days down! Past the halfway mark on this bitch.
Post pictures or it didn't happen.

Yeah...ummmm...no homo.
(good job)
Old 04-07-2010, 11:01 AM   #127
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Alight today is the 7th day and ive done the P90X every day so far. I will do the X Stretch tonight and be done with my first week. Im pretty sore right now. Ive been going about 70-85 percent depending on the exercise. Im going to step that up a notch for the second week. Matty I am already getting better at Ab Ripper X. The first time I was completely blown away.

Polymetrics was the worst by far. I probably laid in bed that night for 12 + hours but could only sleep for a max of 5 because of the pain I was in, and im not exaggerating at all. The soreness I felt in my hips was insane. I forced myself to do the Shoulders and Arms the next day and even managed to mow my grass. I had to take several breaks from mowing and nearly threw up 2 times. Yoga X was pretty bad too. Its 90 minutes long and I remember thinking during the first 30 minutes there is no way in hell im gonna be able to finish this. It was pretty intense, but only for about the first half, then you do more of what you think of when you think of yoga.

Ive also changed my diet a little bit. Before I never ate breakfast. Had a small lunch and ate candy all day long while at work. Then ate from the time I got home to the time I went to bed. I never kept track but im guessing I was probably putting down 3k+ calories a day and the only exercise I would do would be taking the stairs up to work and occasional pushups. I think the only thing that has saved me from becoming fat is the fact that don’t drink soda.

For the last week ive been trying to eat breakfast and small meals during the day (protein bars or something while at work). Ive also done protein shakes every day for lunch. Unfortunately there is a lot of left over Easter candy around the office that I cant stay away from, but ive cut back. The biggest change is when I get home I usually eat a small snack and then do the X. Afterwards I drink this high protein chocolate drink I got from Costco. Then I eat a small meal right before bed. I would guess that I cut my calorie intake in half. I wasn’t really trying to do something that dramatic, but its not like you are really hungry after a workout. I think the main reason I ate so much before was due to boredom and delicious taste, not actual hunger. I am also taking creatine during lunch (mixed with my shakes) and right after the work outs. I also havent really drank any alcohol since I started. I picked up some Bud Select 55, which I think would probably be a good alternative but ive only had about 4.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:11 PM   #128
Monkeydad
Living Legend

How is your P90X going, Matty and mlm?

Old 04-28-2010, 05:05 PM   #129
MTK
\m/

69 days in the books after tonight.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:39 AM   #130
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
69 days in the books after tonight.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:32 PM   #131
mlmpetert
Playmaker

p90x is going good for me too. Honestly i have skipped about 7 days over my first month. I really dont like doing cardio, and im not trying to lose weight so I skipped a few cardio ones (but not polymetrix), and just continued the program with those days off. I also read that cardio takes away from your ability to build muscle, which is one of my goals. This is definitely the most exercise I have gotten over a sustained period since high school, and I feel really good. I have also dramatically changed me diet which probably plays into feeling better.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:05 PM   #132
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
p90x is going good for me too. Honestly i have skipped about 7 days over my first month. I really dont like doing cardio, and im not trying to lose weight so I skipped a few cardio ones (but not polymetrix), and just continued the program with those days off. I also read that cardio takes away from your ability to build muscle, which is one of my goals. This is definitely the most exercise I have gotten over a sustained period since high school, and I feel really good. I have also dramatically changed me diet which probably plays into feeling better.
I think that's more of a myth than reality. You would have to be doing a ton of cardio for it to have a negative effect on your ability to build muscle.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:13 PM   #133
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Not necessarily true. If you're doing lots of weights and have cardio incorporated, you just have to make sure you're eating accordingly. Lots and lots of lean protein, and it won't hinder your ability to build muscle at all. In fact, not only will you continue to build, you'll look more ripped a lot faster than with just weights alone.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:15 PM   #134
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
I think that's more of a myth than reality. You would have to be doing a ton of cardio for it to have a negative effect on your ability to build muscle.
Definitely not true. If you focus on cardio instead of strength training with more weight, of course your muscles will be more toned than bulky. Cardio's main goal is fat burning and toning, not to gain strength and size.

It does no harm to mix cardio in with strength training and won't impede muscle gains. If anything, it will help burn off fat to make the muscle look better and help with stamina that can be useful when lifting.

Sure if you go all-cardio or all-lifting, the results WILL be different and I guess that's where the myth originates. Mixing the two together won't take anything away from your strength training results other than maybe the time you spent on cardio.

Heck, the Skins are doing Pilates this offseason! My wife had a laugh about that, but it will only benefit them in the long run.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:26 PM   #135
MTK
\m/

Yeah it's interesting to hear the team is doing pilates, seems that a lot of players are big fans too. It only makes sense that a stronger core would help with a sport like football.