Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Ravens v Commanders game thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-22-2023, 03:48 PM   #1
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Re: Ravens v Commanders game thread

Quan Martin looked atrocious last night. I know he is a rookie but im pretty sure he wasn’t taught to tackle by flailing a single arm in the direction of the ball carrier at Illinois. Looked like he was deathly afraid to get physical. The int was great but sort of a weird play that just broke his way. He was beaten badly on it initially also.
Forbes on the other hand looked awesome.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 03:57 PM   #2
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Quan Martin looked atrocious last night. I know he is a rookie but im pretty sure he wasn’t taught to tackle by flailing a single arm in the direction of the ball carrier at Illinois. Looked like he was deathly afraid to get physical. The int was great but sort of a weird play that just broke his way. He was beaten badly on it initially also.
Forbes is a tough SOB. He throws his body around with wreckless abandonment. That 3rd and 1 stop was super-impressive.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 08:36 AM   #3
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Forbes is a tough SOB. He throws his body around with wreckless abandonment. That 3rd and 1 stop was super-impressive.
For a guy that skinny that is willing to put his body in there tells me one thing. He's got heart.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 05:13 PM   #4
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:
I think they are asking Martin to do a lot more, the same stupid way they did with Jamin Davis, dumping 3 positions worth of information at once and seeing how much he can absorb. Forbes is only being asked to be an outside corner. And for some guys it takes a little longer to get used to NFL speed. His film doesn't show him being afraid to tackle. He is the #7 or #8 DB right now so it is not like they desperately need him to be a day 1 starter.
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 11:19 PM   #5
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
I think they are asking Martin to do a lot more, the same stupid way they did with Jamin Davis, dumping 3 positions worth of information at once and seeing how much he can absorb. Forbes is only being asked to be an outside corner. And for some guys it takes a little longer to get used to NFL speed. His film doesn't show him being afraid to tackle. He is the #7 or #8 DB right now so it is not like they desperately need him to be a day 1 starter.

No they definitely do not need him to start day one. Thank God. It just irks me because we need an interior lineman desperately to be a day one starter and they were on the board, but we drafted a depth guy at d back.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 01:21 AM   #6
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:
No they definitely do not need him to start day one. Thank God. It just irks me because we need an interior lineman desperately to be a day one starter and they were on the board, but we drafted a depth guy at d back.
Yes I totally agree with you on that. Arguably 2 years in a row Ron has done that. Heard somewhere that they tried to trade up to get Avila but didn't want to pay the price being asked to move into the top 5 of the second round. If true, given that they spent the 3rd and 4th picks on linemen who likely wont see the field this year or next, feels like they weren't agressive enough. I have heard Mayhew regretting not being aggressive enough in the draft, but that is always in hindsight. Wonder if Ron held him back from that. I also think Ron is way too dedicated to position flex which makes me wonder if he passes up on much better players who don't have flex in favour of projects.
Old 08-23-2023, 09:58 AM   #7
Hoglips
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
I also think Ron is way too dedicated to position flex which makes me wonder if he passes up on much better players who don't have flex in favour of projects.
This. It seems to be his primary draft metric. Good to have, but I'd prefer to have mostly guys who are good at a specific position. Maybe that's naive...
Hoglips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 01:30 AM   #8
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

I'm definitely struggling with this myself, but we can't hold it against Martin for us picking him over a lineman. Not like he broke into the war-room and demanded we draft him.

We chose to pick him so he deserves to get a reasonable timeframe to be judged by. 2 pre-season games isn't reasonable.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 02:12 AM   #9
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
I'm definitely struggling with this myself, but we can't hold it against Martin for us picking him over a lineman. Not like he broke into the war-room and demanded we draft him.

We chose to pick him so he deserves to get a reasonable timeframe to be judged by. 2 pre-season games isn't reasonable.
100% great post
Old 08-23-2023, 02:20 AM   #10
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

To be clear overall I'm very encouraged by what I'm seeing, obviously Sam Howell is the big positive in term of what we're learning from these pre-season games, I think you also can credit EB for 2 successful 2min drives, our receiving corps is looking good, and you can hope our defense will be good.
Still think concerns about the Oline are fair.
Old 08-23-2023, 08:33 AM   #11
skinsfan69
Living Legend

What got me about Martin was he looked like he just didn't belong out there. He whiffed on a couple of routine tackles. If you're a safety and a high pick you at least gotta blow shit up.

That is what I like about Forrest and Curl. They're going to smack the shit out of you. Martin didn't look like he was bout that action. Then he got beat for a td but Johnson threw it late. Not sure what they saw in that guy for a 2nd rounder when you needed a o-linemen in the worst way.

And you gotta move on from Wildgoose.

We may have found our TE in Turner.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 08:47 AM   #12
MTK
\m/

I think everyone can chill with the weight thing now with Forbes. He can play.
Old 08-23-2023, 09:26 AM   #13
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I think everyone can chill with the weight thing now with Forbes. He can play.
Loved that hit. Energizing play for the defense. I gotta think the starting DL guys standing on the sidelines loved seeing the smallest guy on the field come up and deliver a hit.

Everything that makes Forbes good showed up on that play. He's small, but because he reads and recognizes so quickly he broke on that play before the RT could get to him and kick him out. So he arrived at the spot ahead of schedule, reducing his chance of getting smashed and injured, and he gave it everything he had on the hit and it turned out to be enough. 4th down. He makes up for his size by studying, reading, reacting, and getting to the spot first.
Old 08-23-2023, 10:33 AM   #14
calia
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Loved that hit. Energizing play for the defense. I gotta think the starting DL guys standing on the sidelines loved seeing the smallest guy on the field come up and deliver a hit.

Everything that makes Forbes good showed up on that play. He's small, but because he reads and recognizes so quickly he broke on that play before the RT could get to him and kick him out. So he arrived at the spot ahead of schedule, reducing his chance of getting smashed and injured, and he gave it everything he had on the hit and it turned out to be enough. 4th down. He makes up for his size by studying, reading, reacting, and getting to the spot first.

The little dude likes contact, period. Love the attitude and the heart. Watching him cover Devonta Smith is going to be like two stick figures fight. Will be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2023, 01:37 AM   #15
That Guy
Living Legend

ravens (mainly NOT their starters) got 5 qb hits and 3 sacks vs washington which got... 1 qb hit in return.

Definitely not domination on the OL. I think we are going to have problems there and it's just going to be what it's going to be. howell isn't a statue, so they can work around it a bit.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote