Where's your boy Doughty?

Advertisements
Old 12-28-2009, 08:56 AM   #122
dmek25
MVP

Re: 10 Cuts-Your Call

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Ya know whats funny I was thinking something like this the other day. I wondered how many O-lineman we had when someone said cut them all....I figured 4 starters across the board, 4 backups, plus 2. for a total of 10.

But I like Heyer as a Guard. Dockery is not bad.
are you watching the same thing as me? neither of these guys are NFL quality starters
Old 12-28-2009, 12:26 PM   #123
perez24
Camp Scrub

ARE
Landry. I know he's "out of position" and all that junk but he seems to get burned regardless of the position
Sellers (don't know the cap hit)
Heyer
Collins
Wynn
Betts
Cartwright
I'm sure there are more.
perez24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:50 PM   #124
drew54
The Starter

QB - Vet min offer for Campbell, if someone signs him for more, hooray draft pick.(Free Agent/Draft future starter.)
RB - Cut Portis, Cartwright(plays hard, but is not a viable back up RB) (Free Agent/Draft future starter.)
FB - Sellers is a tough guy, but part of the problem I fear. - YODER to start at Fullback next year.
WR - Moss, ARE, Time for the youth to step up.
LT - Samuels, time to retire.
RG - Thomas, time to retire.
C - Rabach is kept as depth only but should hopefully not be the starter thanks to a rookie or FA.
OL - All others are kept to compete for their jobs. Hopefully there are two rookie tackles that can come in and start. These should be taken with our first two draft picks.
---
Defense has me worried. Can it improve in a different 4-3 scheme, or could it be morphed to 3-4?

It seems that most of the pieces to the puzzle are there except at CB/S. On our DL, depending on if Orakpo or Jarmon become a full time DE, then our DTs seem set with Big Al, and Golston/Montgomery/Griffin(When healthy).

Linebacker seems set with maybe an upgrade to replace Rocky(Wilson?)

CB/S is where the most turnover should occur. Rogers should be tendered the vet min offer, and if he is signed else where, again hooray draft pick. Smoot is always trying to make a big play and allowing the 7 yard pass. Our youngsters Westbrook/Tryon/Barnes are left to compete for their job with any new comers we can draft or sign in free agency.
Landry cannot and should not have to cover ever again. Doughty/Horton/Moore kept to battle out the depth spots, and a true Free Saftey drafted/signed.

K/P I think we should be fine. Maybe bring in a competitor for both to keep them sharp.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:15 PM   #125
MTK
\m/

It's going to take more than the vet min in order to get a draft pick in return for JC.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:35 PM   #126
skinsfan69
Living Legend

The bottom line is the current group of core guys are not good enough to contend for a Super Bowl. It's questionable whether or not they're good enough to even be a play off contender. It's time to gut this team and start over. And if Allen decides to do that then a lot more than 10 guys are going to get the ax.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:02 AM   #127
drew54
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
It's going to take more than the vet min in order to get a draft pick in return for JC.
I am not sure of the qualifying offer that is required, but most of the time if the team offers a RFA a contract and another team signs them to a larger deal, there is draft pick compensation.

Isn't this how we landed all of those Jets back in the day?
Old 12-29-2009, 12:12 AM   #128
rbanerjee23
The Starter

what is the best we can expect for JC 5th, 4th if we're lucky...might as well keep him around, draft a qb to learn, let JC build some more value if possible and let him go next year

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:37 AM   #129
GTripp0012
Living Legend

If you're lucky, you'll get a pair of seconds for him, which was the price the Texans paid for Schaub. You probably will not be that lucky.

A second and a sixth, or a third and a fourth seems more reasonable.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:42 AM   #130
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

I do hope we keep JC, and just foucus on the line... if a QB falls to the second, then we start to think about it there. I really do not want to take a QB with the 6th pick. This could change depending on how free agency goes....

At this point though, no one should be safe. I'm gonna let Bruce Allen do his thing, and there are some players on this team that I really like, but if they turn this ship upside down and start trading guys like Cooley or something, I wont be happy...but I cant be mad at those types of moves either...we've been that bad. Honest to god, outside of Orakpo, Haynesworth and Fletcher... theres not a single person on this team I can say with 100% certainty will be here next season. (I dont think we're gonna cut 50 guys...but I just dont know who you pick)...
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:57 PM   #131
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Ok so you're Bruce Allen and you've been tasked with cutting 10 guys right away, regardless of salary cap ramifications.

Who do you cut? Here's the catch. Each player must have started at least one game this year.
Chris Samuels- we need to rebuild the OL and Samuels was a great player for us in the past but he's on the decline, plus he got stenosis on his neck

Randy Thomas-same as Samuels

Randle El-okay receiver but his catches need to go to one of our young guys and he's not giving us much on PR

Betts-I think Rock can give us the same thing and he's always hurt

Sellers-i get the feeling he's on the decline, he's not a fluid pass catcher, despite his size he's not a good short yardage runner, and his blocking is starting to slip

Collins-Time to get some youth in the back-up that can develop and challenge the starter

Ganther-was good in a pinch, but imo we can get the same thing from Rock

Will Montgomery-Has already been challenge for the back-up RG spot by Edwin Williams and EW can also play Center

Carlos Rogers-His contract is up and imo he's underperformed, i would re-sign for reasonable money 2nd/3rd tier CB money

Levi Jones-i'm gonna draft good young OTs and Jones is old and on the decline, i would re-sign him for back-up money

Smoot-time to turn the CB over to the young guns
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:58 AM   #132
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
The bottom line is the current group of core guys are not good enough to contend for a Super Bowl. It's questionable whether or not they're good enough to even be a play off contender. It's time to gut this team and start over. And if Allen decides to do that then a lot more than 10 guys are going to get the ax.
from what we have seen the past two years they aren't contenders they are a team that would be lucky to finish better than 8-8, i hope allen drops a moab on redskins park and blows this sucker to peices, i'm ready to finish 6-10 next year as long as wee are a playoff team in three years

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:13 AM   #133
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
If you're lucky, you'll get a pair of seconds for him, which was the price the Texans paid for Schaub. You probably will not be that lucky.

A second and a sixth, or a third and a fourth seems more reasonable.
really? i think even that's dreaming. I think a 4th is the most we could hope to realistically get. I'd say a 5th if vinny were still here but hopefully Shanahan and Allen are better at negotiating.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:53 PM   #134
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
from what we have seen the past two years they aren't contenders they are a team that would be lucky to finish better than 8-8, i hope allen drops a moab on redskins park and blows this sucker to peices, i'm ready to finish 6-10 next year as long as wee are a playoff team in three years
Three years is a long rebuild, hopefully that marks the point to where we're in the playoffs at least every 3 years out of 4 and a consistent 9-10+ win team, but I'd like to see the playoffs at least once sooner. As long as we get it all figured out though I'll be happy in the end.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:54 PM   #135
mmil12
Special Teams

10 starters is too many, so just went with the team at this point:

Cut:
Portis
ARE
Randy Thomas
Rock
Smoot
Daniels
Wynn
Mason
W. Montgomery
Mike Williams
Betts
Sellers
Griffin
Tryon
Blache
Zorn

Seek Trades for:
S. Moss
C. Rogers
Landry (would have loved to see what he could do if we still had S. Taylor)
Campbell
Cooley or Davis (hate this)

I know this is a ton of people to cut of the roster, but if it is an uncapped year, get rid of the trash when you can without taking a hit, especially the older players who have big cap numbers and will be less productive, like portis for example. I realize this basically empties our running back position and cornerback position, but that is completely ok with me.

We have to begin the rebuilding process at some point and this is a start.
mmil12 is offline   Reply With Quote