Parking Lot

Old 09-14-2007, 11:16 AM   #121
12thMan
MVP

Re: Does prayer work?

[quote=Schneed10;351784]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post

First, answers to questions one and two aren't much of an answer. I'm supposed to "take a chance" on the religion that is correct, and if I'm right I go to heaven , and if I'm wrong I go to hell? Seems ridiculous.

As for answers 3 and 4, so I'm going to be rejected from Heaven if I'm a good person but don't believe in God? What about the guy who grows up in Iraq who is a good person, but is raised Muslim. He never gets exposed to God, because where he lives humans teach of Islam and Allah. He's going to go to hell? God would thereby reject any human from heaven based mainly on their geographical location. Asians and Indians tend not to believe in God, they mostly follow Buddhism and Hinduism. People in the middle east tend to be Islamic. That doesn't seem like a gracious and just God to me - in fact it sounds almost racist.

You're telling me that God would send anyone to hell who doesn't believe in him, without even considering the fact that people China and India, which comprise 40% of the Earth's population, never even have the opportunity to accept God because it's not taught in their homes?

Makes no sense to me.
Of course it doesn't make sense. But faith doesn't make sense, does it?
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-14-2007, 11:31 AM   #122
Lady Brave
The Starter

[quote=Schneed10;351784]
Quote:

First, answers to questions one and two aren't much of an answer. I'm supposed to "take a chance" on the religion that is correct, and if I'm right I go to heaven , and if I'm wrong I go to hell? Seems ridiculous.

As for answers 3 and 4, so I'm going to be rejected from Heaven if I'm a good person but don't believe in God? What about the guy who grows up in Iraq who is a good person, but is raised Muslim. He never gets exposed to God, because where he lives humans teach of Islam and Allah. He's going to go to hell? God would thereby reject any human from heaven based mainly on their geographical location. Asians and Indians tend not to believe in God, they mostly follow Buddhism and Hinduism. People in the middle east tend to be Islamic. That doesn't seem like a gracious and just God to me - in fact it sounds almost racist.

You're telling me that God would send anyone to hell who doesn't believe in him, without even considering the fact that people China and India, which comprise 40% of the Earth's population, never even have the opportunity to accept God because it's not taught in their homes?

Makes no sense to me.
There are christians and missionaries everywhere in the world. Also, Christian satellite television has exploded in the past 20 years. I would find it very hard to believe that in this day and age a person could go through their entire life and have not heard the gospel at least once.
Lady Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:39 AM   #123
Schneed10
A Dude

[quote=Lady Brave;351788]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
There are christians and missionaries everywhere in the world. Also, Christian satellite television has exploded in the past 20 years. I would find it very hard to believe that in this day and age a person could go through their entire life and have not heard the gospel at least once.
So then it's reasonable for Hindus in India or Buddhists in China to eschew the beliefs that were taught to them in school, by their parents at home, and practiced by everyone in their villages in favor of the beliefs taught by the ONE local Christian missionary in the village and the Christian sattellite TV? God's still going to send them to hell?

Harsh.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:41 AM   #124
Schneed10
A Dude

[quote=12thMan;351786]
Quote:

Of course it doesn't make sense. But faith doesn't make sense, does it?
Which is exactly why I can't believe in it. There's not even consistency and evenhandedness, even if you ASSUME God exists.

You can be a decent human being living in a culture with little to no exposure to Christianity, but according to the Bible, you're going to Hell. The Bible also claims God to be just, loving, and forgiving.

Can you reconcile this for me? I certainly can't.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:43 AM   #125
Schneed10
A Dude

By the way, what's going on with the quote language? It's assigning the wrong poster to the wrong comments.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:49 AM   #126
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
By the way, what's going on with the quote language? It's assigning the wrong poster to the wrong comments.

I noticed that too. I know you're full of yourself and all, but I was thinking you had reached an all time by quoting yourself
Old 09-14-2007, 11:51 AM   #127
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
I noticed that too. I know you're full of yourself and all, but I was thinking you had reached an all time by quoting yourself
LOL!

To be honest, I've quoted myself before to be like "I told you so" on a few Redskin-related predictions. But not here.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:20 PM   #128
Monksdown
The Starter

[quote=Lady Brave;351788]
Quote:
They've heard it, but like most QVC commercials, they recognize the sales pitch, and quickly change the channel to the NFL Network.

It must be difficult to legitimize your faith when you are compared to evangelists. Smack on the forehead, "You're healed!"
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:14 PM   #129
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

I cannot and would not proclaim that there is but one path the lord. I really do not know if Hinduism, Buddism, and all the other ism's get you in the good seats in the afterlife. I wish I did. I believe the true path of christianity takes you there. If you do not, it's cool. It apparently does not fit in your finite world.
Just like another has already posted........faith. Thats the test, and the Catch-22. I choose to believe. I have experienced things that have reinforced those beliefs many times.
After all, there is plenty of room in life for believers and non believers. The afterlife may.................be a problem
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 02:20 PM   #130
saden1
MVP

[quote=Schneed10;351784]
Quote:

Some clarifications are in order. How does one say God in Chinese (神) or French (Dieu) or Italian (Dio)? Allah is the Arabic word for God. Even Christian and Jewish Arabs refer to God as Allah.

Allah -> God
God -> Allah

I would also like to add that Muslims believe in Jesus, just not as the Son of God.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 02:25 PM   #131
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monksdown View Post

They've heard it, but like most QVC commercials, they recognize the sales pitch, and quickly change the channel to the NFL Network.

It must be difficult to legitimize your faith when you are compared to evangelists. Smack on the forehead, "You're healed!"

Bravo! Standing Ovation!

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 02:38 PM   #132
12thMan
MVP

[quote=Monksdown;351809]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Brave View Post

Let's just say for a minute, that there are phony Evaneglists...wouldn't it be right to also assume, at least by that logic, that there are those who are truly authentic; perhaps true messengers sent from the Lord?
Old 09-14-2007, 02:51 PM   #133
Monksdown
The Starter

If we label them "phony." Logic would imply that their would need to be some authentic messengers. True.

I don't think so, myself. Because I don't believe that there is any substance to the message.

Two reasons for my post;
1. to make you laugh.
2. to argue that the proliferation of TV worship has had negative side effects as well as positive(from your view).

The Sunday morning TV shows are in my opinion, negative for two big reasons. They are catering to the ignorant, and now lazy American populous. And i don't know about you Private Pile, but fat and stupid are not the way I want to go through life.

I apologize if my opinions upset you. Prayer does work, but not because you're talking to god. But because you're talking to yourself. And introspection is a very good medicine.
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:24 PM   #134
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monksdown View Post
If we label them "phony." Logic would imply that their would need to be some authentic messengers. True.

I don't think so, myself. Because I don't believe that there is any substance to the message.

Two reasons for my post;
1. to make you laugh.
2. to argue that the proliferation of TV worship has had negative side effects as well as positive(from your view).

The Sunday morning TV shows are in my opinion, negative for two big reasons. They are catering to the ignorant, and now lazy American populous. And i don't know about you Private Pile, but fat and stupid are not the way I want to go through life.

I apologize if my opinions upset you. Prayer does work, but not because you're talking to god. But because you're talking to yourself. And introspection is a very good medicine.
Hmm..without nitpicking here, I think there is a nugget of truth in what you said about Sunday morning TV church services. But I don't think that's just a religious phenomenon, I think it's partially cultural and partially religious driven.

Regarding prayer, the biblical definition of prayer most definitely involves God. Without fail, if you search the scriptures, you'll find that men and women, during the act of prayer are seeking God in some way. It's not a matter of meditation as most Eastern religions or schools of thought might categorize it. Just to be clear, I'm not saying Christianity owns exclusive rights to the word or term "prayer", but to the Christian and to the Budist, prayer may carry two different connotations.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:27 PM   #135
DEVIL'S OWN
No new threads for you

i prayed for a superbowl......