Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Official Cuts from Around the NFL Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #121
RGIII

Re: Official Cuts from Around the NFL Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Killa View Post
I would give him a shot. He was really raw but can run.
You might as well require Banks to make the final 53 as a CB.
RGIII is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #122
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin Warrior View Post
Sorry if it was already posted but I didn't see that Kevin Barnes got cut by the Lions....so what did we receive for him make the 53 man roster?

An undisclosed draft pick. More than likely a 6th or 7th round selection.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #123
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

I don't get why we can only keep 53 and suit up like 45 players on gameday.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #124
VegasSkinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
So what consequences do the owners have when they cut the player before the contract is up?
The remainder of the signing bonus counting against the cap. On the surface it doesn't sound fair, but a lot of these guys are getting big money up front with small annual salaries an then crying about being underpaid based only on the annual. Not all, but some.
VegasSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #125
44 goes 50 gut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Don't know how smart MJD's holdout was, he gained nothing, hurt his public image, is behind in conditioning and learning the playbook.

Never said anything about "hating" MJD. Just saying if a player(likely under agent advice) is going to pull a hold-out make sure he's got leverage to make it work. And the "evil" owners "throwing away" players line is tired. The coaches are the ones who make the cut decisions. In a violent game like football, no way there will ever be guaranteed contracts.

Never heard of a team negotiating a contract downward? Example?
Never heard of renegotiating for less money/cap hit?

I think the throw away line is shiny and evocative, so there we are... The fact of the matter is RB's in the NFL suffer rather severe punishment, and are usually discarded before they are 30 or much older. For that reason alone I can't blame a player for looking after his bottom line, even if like MJD he's unsuccessful.

Carson Palmer the same deal but for different reasons, he was apparently sick of playing for a losing franchise and an idiot owner, he took it further than MJD and he got his way onto a different franchise that he was obviously willing to play for to get the trade done (even if you want to say he jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire LOL).. You could say Palmer got out of Cincy, and that much at least was a "win" for him.

Point is the collusive NFL ownership group does not deserve player loyalty... Because they exhibit next to no loyalty themselves. Besides some token number retirement or a ring of fame, even the very greatest players for the team rarely get any loyalty. See Peyton Manning...
44 goes 50 gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #126
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 goes 50 gut View Post
Never heard of renegotiating for less money/cap hit?
I'm not talking about a new contract negotiation, I'm talking about an existing contract. Once the contract is signed the team can't renegotiate it down. They can turn a salary into a signing bonus and lower a cap hit in the short term, but that winds up in the player getting more guaranteed money.

Quote:
I think the throw away line is shiny and evocative, so there we are... The fact of the matter is RB's in the NFL suffer rather severe punishment, and are usually discarded before they are 30 or much older. For that reason alone I can't blame a player for looking after his bottom line, even if like MJD he's unsuccessful.
No question any player should look out for his best interest...cause no one else will. But when you sign a long term deal you need to live with the fact that others will sign deals after yours for more annual money. If you don't like that, have your agent negotiate a short term deal, or some sort of guaranteed performance bonus. Once a player signs, unless he's got some extra-ordinary leverage (which even MJD didn't have here), no team is going to renegotiate with two years left in a deal....especially with a RB.

Quote:
Point is the collusive NFL ownership group does not deserve player loyalty... Because they exhibit next to no loyalty themselves. Besides some token number retirement or a ring of fame, even the very greatest players for the team rarely get any loyalty. See Peyton Manning...
Just like the real business world, there is no loyalty by/to companies anymore. I can't feel much pity for guys who are making 7 figures and know full well what they're getting into when they sign a contract.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #127
Skinzman
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
I'm not talking about a new contract negotiation, I'm talking about an existing contract. Once the contract is signed the team can't renegotiate it down. They can turn a salary into a signing bonus and lower a cap hit in the short term, but that winds up in the player getting more guaranteed money.
Why do you say they cant renegotiate a contract down? Telling a player to drop their 5 mil base salary down to 2.5 or 3 mil or else they will be cut has made many players do exactly that, renegotiate a lower priced deal. Not just one that saves cap money this year but works out to be more guaranteed money for the player.

If the owners can outright cut a player under contract, they can absolutely ask him to take less money. In the NFL, any player contract can be negotiated up or down at any given time. The team just has to be able to account for guaranteed money in previous and current contracts under the salary cap. They also have to be prepared to cut the player if he wont renegotiate down like they want. Teams are allowed to cut the salary or cut the player if they dont agree to a salary cut. Now, the salary cut has to be negotiated and agreed upon by the player, the team just cant announce that the salary is being halved without an agreement by the player. However cutting the player holds no obligations other than fitting his accelerated guaranteed money under the cap.

As a point of reference, Chris Cooley offered to cut his salary to stay with the Redskins. Why would he do that if he knew it was illegal in the NFL to do so? Because its a perfectly legal thing to do in the NFL. It wouldnt have affected any guaranteed money, only his base salary, but it would have been a cut in pay on an already negotiated contract none-the-less. And they would not of added extra years or any extra guaranteed money on the deal had it happened.
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #128
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

So...Bryant McKinnie no longer a Raven
Old 09-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #129
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
So they finally got tired of that song and dance? that guy is a fool, wouldnt want to see with around here

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #130
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Any chance we sign him? I know hes a LT from a different offensive system and the regular season is abou to start, but he's got to be better than Polumbus. Polumbus is a backup and I dont like any of our OT depth behind him. if he or Trent go down, we'll have a guy who should be a third stringer starting for us.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #131
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
So they finally got tired of that song and dance? that guy is a fool, wouldnt want to see with around here
Nope, they just couldn't come to an agreement on a contract restructure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Any chance we sign him? I know hes a LT from a different offensive system and the regular season is abou to start, but he's got to be better than Polumbus. Polumbus is a backup and I dont like any of our OT depth behind him. if he or Trent go down, we'll have a guy who should be a third stringer starting for us.
McKinnie is like 350+ pounds and is more of a power-blocking scheme o-lineman. Unless we are desperate, I just don't see him fitting our o-line scheme.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #132
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

I wouldn't sign him unless the current guys go down. According to Pro Football Focus, he was the 52nd rated tackle (out of 76 rated) and has a host of issues.

Could the Baltimore Ravens Part Ways with LT Bryant McKinnie? | Bleacher Report

The Ravens apparently have O-Line issues at tackle and for them to cut him is pretty bad. Later in the year, if need be, we can pick him up. Me? I prefer we go straight out of Compton for depth at tackle.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #133
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
I wouldn't sign him unless the current guys go down. According to Pro Football Focus, he was the 52nd rated tackle (out of 76 rated) and has a host of issues.

Could the Baltimore Ravens Part Ways with LT Bryant McKinnie? | Bleacher Report

The Ravens apparently have O-Line issues at tackle and for them to cut him is pretty bad. Later in the year, if need be, we can pick him up. Me? I prefer we go straight out of Compton for depth at tackle.
Other than showing up to camp overweight (which he fixed quickly) I don't think there were any issues other than money. That being said, I don't think he's a good fit for our line.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #134
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Imagine if we could trade a draft pick to the Ravens for right tackle Michael Oher. There would be zero concerns at right tackle. But the Ravens would never make that trade.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #135
CrustyRedskin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
Imagine if we could trade a draft pick to the Ravens for right tackle Michael Oher. There would be zero concerns at right tackle. But the Ravens would never make that trade.
Im sure Raven fans would feel blind sided if we pulled that off. But im for it.

HTTR. You wern't a bunch of losers on 10-27-14.
CrustyRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote