Maye 11 21.57%
Trade down 10 19.61%
Non QB pick 3 5.88%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2024, 01:07 PM   #1291
MTK
\m/

Re: 2024 Early Bird Draft Thread

I'd bet we'll take a later round QB to develop. After all Peters did strike gold with Mr Irrelevant.

Advertisements
Old 03-18-2024, 01:18 PM   #1292
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I'd bet we'll take a later round QB to develop. After all Peters did strike gold with Mr Irrelevant.
Peters' history with trading up for Lance and then taking Mr Irrelevant and especially how those moves turned out gives me a lot of confidence in his guiding the franchise throug this draft. I believe he is going to make the right decision, whatever that may be. Not many GMs in the league have such a specific experience to draw on.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Last edited by CRedskinsRule; 03-18-2024 at 02:22 PM.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 01:20 PM   #1293
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Yeah, after they all but sold the farm to get Lance. Purdy wasn't drafted to be the next franchise guy, he was drafted to be back up to Lance. Had he not go the starting gig through injury, he may never have seen the field.

That's not a sane draft policy for drafting a starting QB. Maybe they'll take an extra QB if BPA in lower rounds, but with MM and Fromm already in the house, I doubt it. Other holes to fill.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 01:27 PM   #1294
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkSkins View Post
I'm FAR from being a Gamecocks fan. You can put butter, salt, and pepper on the toilet to give it flavor.

My opinion is I'm not sold on those QBs and would prefer to load up on more picks. Picks can also be used as collateral and not actually used for merely drafting.

I think Rattler can turn out to be a steal of a pick and we could pluck him early in the third round.

I'll 100% pass on Spencer Rattler, I don't see how you can be not sold on any of the top 3 prospects, but be sold.on Spencer Rattler in the 3rd round.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 01:29 PM   #1295
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Rattler has some game no doubt. He is the type of guy that you draft in the 3rd or 4th rounds and let him develop.

Really liked how he played vs a much stronger opponent in Georgia. It's not so much that he lit them up, it's how he kept competing, made a lot of tough throws under pressure, always keeps his eyes downfield and he can run.

Reminds me of a Baker Mayfield type.

He was 22/42 with 2 ints in that game

Old 03-18-2024, 01:36 PM   #1296
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
With our last pick of the draft yeah I can see that.

Old 03-18-2024, 02:29 PM   #1297
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
Yeah, after they all but sold the farm to get Lance. Purdy wasn't drafted to be the next franchise guy, he was drafted to be back up to Lance. Had he not go the starting gig through injury, he may never have seen the field.

That's not a sane draft policy for drafting a starting QB. Maybe they'll take an extra QB if BPA in lower rounds, but with MM and Fromm already in the house, I doubt it. Other holes to fill.
Obviously Purdy was an afterthought but the point is it's never a bad thing to keep looking at QBs even when you think you have one.
Old 03-18-2024, 02:55 PM   #1298
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

My take away from that draft is that Peters' learned first hand how easy it is for even extremely competent people to overestimate and underestimate the quarterback position.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 03:18 PM   #1299
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Obviously Purdy was an afterthought but the point is it's never a bad thing to keep looking at QBs even when you think you have one.
I agree with that, I just think 49ers lucked into Purdy. I agree you keep picking QB's IF you like something about them enough (and not just because they're there on the board). And maybe you get lucky. I just feel you don't get reckless with the #2 pick; you take the guy the film, reports and your gut says is the best for your situation. You don't trade the farm to go after the #1 pick unless you and everyone around you are convinced he's the guy. You don't trade out of #2 because he might not be the guy. Going for the guy in round in rounds 4-7 with the belief he might be the one is foolish if you have nothing to back up that belief. Don't trade back unless you are certain Daniels and/or Maye is not your guy. Don't reach for a McCarthy or Penix just because you traded back and now HAVE to pick a QB. It's a fine line.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 04:22 PM   #1300
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
I agree with that, I just think 49ers lucked into Purdy. I agree you keep picking QB's IF you like something about them enough (and not just because they're there on the board). And maybe you get lucky. I just feel you don't get reckless with the #2 pick; you take the guy the film, reports and your gut says is the best for your situation. You don't trade the farm to go after the #1 pick unless you and everyone around you are convinced he's the guy. You don't trade out of #2 because he might not be the guy. Going for the guy in round in rounds 4-7 with the belief he might be the one is foolish if you have nothing to back up that belief. Don't trade back unless you are certain Daniels and/or Maye is not your guy. Don't reach for a McCarthy or Penix just because you traded back and now HAVE to pick a QB. It's a fine line.
You definitely trade out of # 2 (or pick another position), if you're not convinced one of those QBs is your guy. Doing otherwise would be foolish. You can regret the decision later, but you don't just take a QB at #2 to take a QB...same goes for any pick at any point in the draft.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 04:29 PM   #1301
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Rattler has terrible mechanics, field vision, and a low football IQ according to his scouting profile. If He cannot think quick enough in college he is going to get absolutely destroyed in the pros.

If there is some quarterback that is hanging around in the 7th round who has potential than sure take a shot but I would rather find a ST contributor or solid depth elsewhere before I look for a third string quarterback to replace Fromm who I like.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 04:35 PM   #1302
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

2024 Early Bird Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post

You can argue that 1-4 are borderline bust.

TLaw hasn’t lived up to his hype at all.

I’d probably say 7 of these 32 picks are legit really good players

The draft is a crap shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are six guys in the first column alone who are really good. Surtain has had injury issues but when he is there he is good. Pitts will have a breakout year with Cousins. There are probably 15-16 legit players from that round. Couple on shit teams or with injury issues but….

Yes it is a crap shoot to an extent but not completely.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 04:36 PM   #1303
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
He was 22/42 with 2 ints in that game
You had to watch the game and not just look at the stat sheet.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 05:16 PM   #1304
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
You had to watch the game and not just look at the stat sheet.
I did, and Rattler just isn't that good. Could he shock everyone and turn into something? Sure anyone could but Im not betting any money on him that he does

Old 03-18-2024, 05:25 PM   #1305
Darrell Green Fan
Special Teams

Quote:

Not too many team could afford to give up what the Niners did to be able to draft Trey Lance, have him bust, and still remain contenders. They drafted so well they could overcome this miss. That's so impressive and gives me more reason to be excited.
Darrell Green Fan is offline   Reply With Quote