Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Sequestration - good, bad, or indifferent?

Debating with the enemy

Old 03-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #106
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Re: Sequestration - good, bad, or indifferent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
You have no clue. Welfare spending on its own is above 10% then you have programs within other areas that are really welfare.

Under health care falls programs for lower income.
Education has programs for low income.

Also, it dawned on me that you have the wrong chart displayed. This is a chart displaying ALL the spending (fed/state/local) and not just federal. The real chart is here.

US Fed Spending Pie Chart for 2013 - Charts

Military spending 24% compared to Welfare's 11% and 23% in pensions.

Here are the actual numbers.

US Federal Budget FY13 Estimated Spending Breakdown - Pie Chart
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #107
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
And I can agree with this in principle, just like I agree in principle to the NFL paying for the SB security, and the suspension of BA/TB air shows. But, as That Guy pointed out by asking about the F-22, the list of Foreign aid/SB sec/BA-TB shows are piddling around the edges. You can cut all foreign aid 100% (reduce it to 0) and we would still be spending at a deficit. Defense (serious programs) and Welfare both need to be re-vamped and brought in line with what our intake affords, and if we need to increase our intake from the top 1%, then they need to put it in.

Question (i don't know the answer) has anyone ever thought of allowing tax dollars to be earmarked? ie you can designate %'s for major categories, defense, welfare, maybe 3 or 4 others top level line items? I imagine it would be book keeping hell but it would be interesting to see where people want their money to go, and then have a percentage off the top that is designated for SS, and Debt repayment. Even if we can't do it on the real taxes, it would be an interesting study if conducted properly. (I am pretty sure there is an internet equivalent, but I would want a solid firm conducting it if I were to trust the results)
I have always thought if person does not think we pay enough in taxes then they can just write a check and send it to the federal goverment. Just add an addtional line to tax returns to write in what you feel you should pay in addition to what you paid over the year. Also why would anyone put more money into SS because there is no guarantee anyone will ever see a penny of the money you contribute.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #108
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
I have always thought if person does not think we pay enough in taxes then they can just write a check and send it to the federal goverment. Just add an addtional line to tax returns to write in what you feel you should pay in addition to what you paid over the year. Also why would anyone put more money into SS because there is no guarantee anyone will ever see a penny of the money you contribute.
how about this, base percentages are listed and you can add or subtract up to 5%. SS would for now be a set percentage. Ultimately all the percentages would add up to 100%. So:
samples

base tax return(italics not changeable):
Def:24% Hlthcare:22% Welfare:12% Education:4% Pensions:22% Interest:6% Other:10%
allowing +/- 5% for a person's discretion:
NC Skins
Def: 19 Hlth:24 Welfare 14 Ed: 5 Other:10 P&I 28
AW
Def 29 Hlth:20 Welfare 9 ed 4 other 10 P&I 28
FD
Def 29 Hlth:22 Welfare 7 Ed 4 other 10 P&I 28
Mine
Def 22 Hlth 22 Welfare 12 Ed 6 other 10 P&I 28

Obviously this is purely a simplistic example, but it wouldn't be any harder to implement then the rest of the boondoggle that is the US tax code

(enter slinging sammy with fair tax discussion)
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #109
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
allowing +/- 5% for a person's discretion:
NC Skins
Def: 19 Hlth:24 Welfare 14 Ed: 5 Other:10 P&I 28

Mine
Def: 22 Hlth: 22 Welfare: 12 Ed: 6 other 10 P&I" 28

Not sure why you think I want welfare raised. I don't. I'm just sick and tired of hearing how the welfare (aka..food stamps) is killing this country, when in fact, it plays very little in the grand scheme of things. I'm willing to bet you right now, if I were to do a poll with every single conservative friend I have, I bet you that the majority of them would list Welfare is the #1 issue. Also, when it comes down to it, I'd rather feed somebody than bomb them.

If anything, our citizens are too stupid and I'd rather spend that money on education.

Def 15 Hlth 25 Welfare 12 Ed 10 other: 10 P&I 28

Things I would increase:

NASA - increase by 3 billion

Things I would end:

Oil subsidies: (account for 4-5 billion each year)

Farm subsidies: (in most cases) save about 5 billion a year

I know slashing the military that much seems drastic, but I'm in favor of pulling all of our bases and bring back our men/women to defend our own country. We don't need to be world police, and should intervene if people ask us to. We don't need brand new air craft carriers at this point, we don't any new jets at this point. We can use these guys to fortify our borders. Even slashing it to 15% would still have us spending way more than anybody else in the world. Including China, who currently has the largest army in the world.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty

Last edited by NC_Skins; 03-05-2013 at 08:30 PM.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #110
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Not sure why you think I want welfare raised. I don't. I'm just sick and tired of hearing how the welfare (aka..food stamps) is killing this country, when in fact, it plays very little in the grand scheme of things. I'm willing to be you right now, if I were to do a poll with every single conservative friend I have, I bet you that the majority of them would list Welfare is the #1 issue. Also, when it comes down to it, I'd rather feed somebody than bomb them.

If anything, our citizens are too stupid and I'd rather spend that money on educated.

Things I would increase:

Things I would end:

I know slashing the military that much seems drastic, but I'm in favor of pulling all of our bases and bring back our men/women to defend our own country. We don't need to be world police, and should intervene if people ask us to. We don't need brand new air craft carriers at this point, we don't any new jets at this point. We can use these guys to fortify our borders. Even slashing it to 15% would still have us spending way more than anybody else in the world. Including China, who currently has the largest army in the world.
I just put off the cuff numbers had I thought more I would have upped ed for you.

its weird that I can agree with slashing defense yet disagree about how. I do agree about bringing nearly all troops back, and putting leading tech projects on hold, but I would absolutely maintain airforce and navy forces and train for defense of vital airways and sealanes.

I also find your increasing NASA interesting.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #111
HailGreen28
Playmaker

There's plenty of money that could be shifted from military to NASA (military and non-military uses).

HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #112
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Not sure why you think I want welfare raised. I don't. I'm just sick and tired of hearing how the welfare (aka..food stamps) is killing this country, when in fact, it plays very little in the grand scheme of things. I'm willing to bet you right now, if I were to do a poll with every single conservative friend I have, I bet you that the majority of them would list Welfare is the #1 issue. Also, when it comes down to it, I'd rather feed somebody than bomb them.

If anything, our citizens are too stupid and I'd rather spend that money on education.

Things I would increase:

Things I would end:

I've heard of farm subsidies but never heard oil subsidies. Your saying we are paying companies to not drill oil? Also you keep seperating welfare into food stamps when its much more then that. Its extends into education, health care, housing, etc...
Old 03-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #113
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Right before the sequester happend i heard a guy on a the radio say something really funny. He said, if your family needs to cut a few percent from their budget you would cut out dinning, or a cable package, or even a cell phone plan. Obama on the other hand is selling this as you should stop feeding the baby and putting gas in your car.

Meanwhile, since things arnt going nearly as bad as Obama had scared us into believing they would:

Email tells feds to make sequester as painful as promised - Washington Times

GOP Congressman Makes CDC Director Squirm After Confronting Him on Children’s Vaccine Cuts: ‘Let Me Get This Straight…’ | Video | TheBlaze.com

Quote:
Under the president's cut of $58 million...you think you could get around that to avoid cutting vaccines to children. But under a sequester [of $30 million], you don't know if you can do that?"
Old 03-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #114
HailGreen28
Playmaker

One youtube comment: "It's just funny how many times the answer to simple questions was "I'll have to get back to you on that." A euphemism that means "I won't answer that question."
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #115
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Right before the sequester happend i heard a guy on a the radio say something really funny. He said, if your family needs to cut a few percent from their budget you would cut out dinning, or a cable package, or even a cell phone plan. Obama on the other hand is selling this as you should stop feeding the baby and putting gas in your car.

Meanwhile, since things arnt going nearly as bad as Obama had scared us into believing they would:

Email tells feds to make sequester as painful as promised - Washington Times

GOP Congressman Makes CDC Director Squirm After Confronting Him on Children’s Vaccine Cuts: ‘Let Me Get This Straight…’ | Video | TheBlaze.com

This President will do anything to get his way even if it means running this country into the ground. The Dems are also playing the race card.
Democrats pull out race card in sequester game - Washington Times

Last edited by firstdown; 03-08-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #116
firstdown
Living Legend

I probably just made a big mistake telling the lady at the IRS that I hope her job is done away with because of Sequestraqtion. I could tell from the minute she answered the phone after I held fo 15 min she had that attitude thing going. I got hit with a $329.60 penalty for paying my taxes one day late (talk about excessive). They were actually paid on the due date but was processed the following day. She shrugged it off as no big deal, would not answer my question about it being excessive, and then when I ask she said "what do you want me to do about it". Thats when I got pissed but I probably should have waited until I protested the fine.

Last edited by firstdown; 03-11-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #117
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
This President will do anything to get his way even if it means running this country into the ground. The Dems are also playing the race card.
Democrats pull out race card in sequester game - Washington Times

The Washington Times,really?
Old 03-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #118
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Whats really sad is that the economic policies of Democrat seem to have the largest impact of negitively affecting the majority of minorities.

Here is a great documentry about the Democratic Plantation:

Runaway Slave - DVD Available Now

Runaway Slave Movie - Own it on DVD! - YouTube
Old 03-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #119
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Park ranger: Supervisors pushed sequester cuts that visitors would see | Fox News
Old 03-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #120
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
The reason Obama is having them cut the BA and TB is beacuase its something that affects people and something we can actually see happening. He then has something to point to and blame the rep.. There are so many other things we waste our money on but cutting those would not affect people and not help him. The first thing they should do is change how they budget spending. The way they do it now when a department does not spend their annual budget it gets reduced to what they spent in the prior year. So come Nov & Dec they BUY, BUY, BUY so their budget does not get cut. We should award employees who save money not punish them. I'd also come up with a bonuse system for any employee who comes up with money cutting ideas. While I know Obama is not totally to blame his leadership right now sucks and he is acting like a little child when they don't get their way. There have been other Presidents I didn't agree with but I could respeck them for their leadership which I cannot say about Obamaq.
Seems I knew what Obama was doing before these stories started coming out. Its not that hard to figure Obama is only for Obama.