Less Huff In the Booth

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #106
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Less Huff In the Booth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
OMG. I never said he's not fair. If anything I said he was a decent announcer. But, he should be a decent announcer for the Cowboys on Sundays. Not announcing Redskins games.

Basically your all telling me that there is no way our local FOX DC can locate, find, or hire an ex Redskins to announce on Sunday? Not a one? Atleast the home games. No one? OK.
Local FOX DC has nothing to do with the games

Advertisements
Old 08-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #107
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
OMG. I never said he's not fair. If anything I said he was a decent announcer. But, he should be a decent announcer for the Cowboys on Sundays. Not announcing Redskins games.

Basically your all telling me that there is no way our local FOX DC can locate, find, or hire an ex Redskins to announce on Sunday? Not a one? Atleast the home games. No one? OK.
who are they going to be broadcasting to?
Old 08-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #108
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Summerall was on the national broadcast's ,during the 70's with Tom Brookshire(ex-Eagle) and they were very good, and then Madden ,I thought.
Yes both Summeral and Brookshire started out announcing Giants game in 62 I believe. Then both got transfered to the Skins games I think. and to point out neither was from the rival Dallas Cowboys. but in any event CBS ended up doing what FOX is doing now and Summerall announced all over the NFL.

and to be honest I was young when I first started seeing him in the late 70's early 80's and by then I think he was announcing golf, tennis, and with the NBA by then. I saw enough of him every where else that it didn't really matter. On top of that back then I don't think I knew he was a former player. As a kid I just didn't care. Of course when I got older and actually heard it mentioned that he was a former player I had been exposed to him enough to not care if he was announcing a Skins game.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #109
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
who are they going to be broadcasting to?
I'll answer both yours and Smoots together. I know the local FOX DC does not have anything to do with broadcasting the game, but it is on the local network. or atleast it was last year. If this is a trick statement then I'll admit I don't know who is showing the games this year. I presumed FOX.

Who would they broadcast to, if FOX is the network who is won the bid to air the games? they would broad cast to the local area and to the opponants local area.

I'll admit I'm obviously not a genius in regards to the "broadcasting areas."
However when I was refering to broadcasting I was not refering to all the different states or localities, I was refering to which ever Network that has won the bid to air the games each week should have announcers hired from each teams locality to announce the home games. Away games would obviously be announced by the home teams.

So.... if it's not FOX who is airing the local games here in DC then which ever network "is" airing the games then they should have local announcers for all the home games.

I'm sorry is it really this difficult? I flip to a CAPs game and see the same announcers every game. Local announcers and one that used to be a player for the team. I like that. If I'm not mistaken the Nats have the same announcer for their home games. I like that. The Wizards for the most part have the same announcers for their home games (if I'm not mistaken). Yet when it comes to football... we get Aikman. A non local and an ex player of our rival team. IDK, maybe I just give a **** too much.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #110
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Because, unless it's a national broadcast, NHL/NBA/MLB games are only shown locally. NFL games are nationally televised. There aren't separate local deals for each game. That's now how the contract is set up for broadcasting NFL games.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #111
FRPLG
MVP

SB, based on what you've stated in this thread you simply have no idea how any of this works. There are distinct and mutually exclusive differences between how baseball/hockey/basketball broadcast their games and how the NFL does its games. The differences which are too numerous to even mention make it virtually impossible for what you are advocating to ever happen. It would literally change the game of football by turning the entire revenue model straight on its head.

The NFL broadcasts nationally. Teams do not negotiate local contracts like the other sports. Local broadcast affiliates only have contractual relationships with the parent networks...they are NOT "THE" network. The only thing a local Fox affiliate does is turn on the proper feed provided to them by the network. The do nothing in terms of producing the broadcasts.

Why in the world would the NATIONAL networks want to take on the headache of creating disparate broadcasts of every game with varying announce teams? You do realize the production of an NFL football game is probably insanely more complicated than the other sports right?
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #112
FRPLG
MVP

When I said extreme I meant "So far out of the realm of common-sense as to imply you're joking, clueless, or have an odd view of how this all works."
Old 08-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #113
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
SB, based on what you've stated in this thread you simply have no idea how any of this works. There are distinct and mutually exclusive differences between how baseball/hockey/basketball broadcast their games and how the NFL does its games. The differences which are too numerous to even mention make it virtually impossible for what you are advocating to ever happen. It would literally change the game of football by turning the entire revenue model straight on its head.

The NFL broadcasts nationally. Teams do not negotiate local contracts like the other sports. Local broadcast affiliates only have contractual relationships with the parent networks...they are NOT "THE" network. The only thing a local Fox affiliate does is turn on the proper feed provided to them by the network. The do nothing in terms of producing the broadcasts.

Why in the world would the NATIONAL networks want to take on the headache of creating disparate broadcasts of every game with varying announce teams? You do realize the production of an NFL football game is probably insanely more complicated than the other sports right?
Thank you.

/thread
Old 08-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #114
exit0
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Troy Aikman is by far the best game announcer there is in football. The ONLY other person that would give him a run for the money in my book is Jon Gruden.

Who gives a flying **** if Aikman was a cowboy. The 90's called and they want their grudge back.

Hell, I think Troy is much better at being a game analyst than he ever was a NFL QB, and he's in the Hall of Fame. That should tell you something.
wow... I can't believe I just read this. Personally, I think Aikman is one of the worst TV announcers of all time. (and not because he was a Cowboy) He always says the same thing after each type of play and hardly ever gives the viewer any take on the game that we don't already know. Plus, he wants to run his mouth after each play no matter what. Gruden is far better in all ways... especially picking up on things that the real football fan may miss. If Aikman is announcing a game I'm watching, I'll put the volume on mute right away.
exit0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:44 PM   #115
MTK
\m/

There's a reason why Aikman is on the lead crew for Fox, just saying. I believe he's also won some Emmy's for his work.

Gruden is ok but I think he could be so much better. I think he treads a little too lightly when it comes to calling out a coach or player. He's one big love-fest for the most part.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #116
44 goes 50 gut

Huff has been over due to retire for 10 years now. Put Cooley in their with Sunny and get a new play by play man to replace that brown nosing douche bag voiced Michaels.

Aikmen is a good color guy, though last year he seemed to have a few more post concussion moments. Which are sad really but you can hear it occasionally. I hated him as a Cowboy but he's really always gone out of his way to compliment the skins even sometimes when they werent merited. I've always wondered what people are listening to who say he rips on the skins. The skins have been a bad franchise for over a decade, the truth sometimes hurts, but I always got a sense that Aikman was trying to be fair and balanced.

Last edited by 44 goes 50 gut; 08-30-2012 at 09:25 PM.
44 goes 50 gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #117
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
There's a reason why Aikman is on the lead crew for Fox, just saying. I believe he's also won some Emmy's for his work.

Gruden is ok but I think he could be so much better. I think he treads a little too lightly w hen it comes to calling out a coach or player. He's one big love-fest for the most part.
Too young to burn bridges with honest evaluation. He may need a job from someone he evaluated negatively or worse coach someone he let have it.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:51 AM   #118
Giantone
Gamebreaker

I know I'll get flack but I like Simms in the booth.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:58 AM   #119
Swarley
The Starter

Personally I don't mind Simms or Aikmen. I think they are actually capable of being unbiased.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:28 AM   #120
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Too young to burn bridges with honest evaluation. He may need a job from someone he evaluated negatively or worse coach someone he let have it.
yeah I get that, someday we'll hear the real Gruden, for now he's just a little too guarded