Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

How Many Games Should We Test Haskins?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-29-2020, 09:59 AM   #106
Defensewins
Playmaker

Re: How Many Games Should We Test Haskins?

You can also ask what is the rush to start Haskins when he is clearly not ready. Haskins issues are not a simple adjustment. In the heat of the game he forgets how to drop back and set up to throw. The most basic thing for a QB. He cannot walk and chew gum at the same time.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-29-2020, 10:04 AM   #107
OnceWeWereKings
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
You can also ask what is the rush to start Haskins when he is clearly not ready. Haskins issues are not a simple adjustment. In the heat of the game he forgets how to drop back and set up to throw. The most basic thing for a QB. He cannot walk and chew gum at the same time.
I know im preaching to the choir, but it was really frustrating watching him throw while running and hopping this week. Not setting up and planting at all. Hes relying on his arm strength, probably because that was his game in college. Too many times it looked like he had time, but did a little roll out and threw off balance.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:04 AM   #108
MTK
\m/

He's not going to get better on the sidelines. He's never lacked confidence or shown the game is too big for him, let him play through his struggles just like plenty of other QBs have done.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:11 AM   #109
Defensewins
Playmaker

We can disagree. I think the practice field is exactly where they need to deconstruct his fundamentals and rebuild them correctly. Not getting pummeled on the field.
He has to commit the footwork/dropbacks to muscle memory so he doesn't have think about it. Then work on game strategy. Learn to walk before running.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:15 AM   #110
MTK
\m/

Quote:
We can disagree. I think the practice field is exactly where they need to deconstruct his fundamentals and rebuild them correctly. Not getting pummeled on the field.
He has to commit the footwork/dropbacks to muscle memory so he doesn't have think about it. Then work on game strategy. Learn to walk before running.
That's offseason work. He would get little to no snaps in practice right now if he wasn't the starter.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:22 AM   #111
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
That's offseason work. He would get little to no snaps in practice right now if he wasn't the starter.
Being the scout team QB. Staying after or before practice with QB coach. Doing it until it is burned in his brain. Bad habits like this take time get fid of. Repetition. Then doing it in games.
When he proves he do it in a panic game situation and not get happy feet, he is ready to start again. IMO
Old 09-29-2020, 10:24 AM   #112
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Here's 's what Ron Rivera had to say about a possible QB change in an interview with JP Finlay:

JP asked if the Week 8 bye might be the natural time to make a change at QB, if it becomes necessary.

RR replied: "To be honest with you, as you look at what’s happening in our division, I don’t want that to be too late. We're in first place at 1-2, tied with Dallas. We have one team that’s 0-2-1 and another team that’s 0-3. We have to look where we are right now and say, ‘Gosh, we might be in position. That's something you have to think about as well. It will play into [the quarterback decision], trust me. I went through this in 2014."

JP also asked RR about weighing Haskins' development against the possibility of winning a weak division.

RR replied: "I have to look at that and be honest. I like a lot of the things I have seen, but there are some things that truly concern me, growth being the biggest one."

Last edited by KI Skins Fan; 09-29-2020 at 10:44 AM.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:30 AM   #113
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Here's 's what Ron Rivera had to say about a possible QB change in an interview with J.P. Findlay:

JP asked if the Week 8 bye might be the time to make a change at QB, if it becomes necessary.

RR replied: "To be honest with you, as you look at what’s happening in our division, I don’t want that to be too late. We're in first place at 1-2, tied with Dallas. We have one team that’s 0-2-1 and another team that’s 0-3. We have to look where we are right now and say, ‘Gosh, we might be in position. That's something you have to think about as well. It will play into [the quarterback decision], trust me. I went through this in 2014."

JP also asked RR about weighing Haskins' development against the possibility of winning the division.

RR replied: "I have to look at that and be honest. I like a lot of the things I have seen, but there are some things that truly concern me, growth being the biggest one."

Basically the writing is on the wall
Old 09-29-2020, 10:31 AM   #114
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Being the scout team QB. Staying after or before practice with QB coach. Doing it until it is burned in his brain. Bad habits like this take time get fid of. Repetition. Then doing it in games.
This never happens with most NFL teams and rookie/young QBs are thrown to the fire.

Rebuilding is ugly and people need to get used to it. People think that Ron is keeping Haskins in because Snyder is making him do it. But the reason he's keeping DH in is because Snyder has given him space and time to rebuild, and he's not under pressure to win right away.

It is very likely that the team will have a new QB next season. But whoever that new QB will be, will likely have a better team around them, thanks to this rebuilding year.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:43 AM   #115
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
This never happens with most NFL teams and rookie/young QBs are thrown to the fire.

Rebuilding is ugly and people need to get used to it. People think that Ron is keeping Haskins in because Snyder is making him do it. But the reason he's keeping DH in is because Snyder has given him space and time to rebuild, and he's not under pressure to win right away.

It is very likely that the team will have a new QB next season. But whoever that new QB will be, will likely have a better team around them, thanks to this rebuilding year.
I don't know about the QB part but I agree with the bold part.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:16 AM   #116
MTK
\m/

Ron needs to know what we have in Dwayne by the end of the season. This idea of sticking him on the shelf and coddling him is ridiculous, we need to know if we can move forward with him next year as the starter or will we be in the QB market again.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:21 AM   #117
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Here's 's what Ron Rivera had to say about a possible QB change in an interview with JP Finlay:

JP asked if the Week 8 bye might be the natural time to make a change at QB, if it becomes necessary.

JP also asked RR about weighing Haskins' development against the possibility of winning a weak division.

Did JP ask him about not using his timeouts? Because he sure isn't coaching like he's interested in trying to win a weak division.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:58 AM   #118
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Ron needs to know what we have in Dwayne by the end of the season. This idea of sticking him on the shelf and coddling him is ridiculous, we need to know if we can move forward with him next year as the starter or will we be in the QB market again.
Again, RR did not draft Haskins so there is no loyalty. His leach will be a short one. There is a slim to almost no chance Haskins is the QB of the future.

Whenever a new coach comes in, unless the starter is well established, they want their own guy. Hell Rodgers has several years of good football left and they used their 1st rounder on a QB.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:01 PM   #119
Schneed10
A Dude

I trust Ron on this. A couple of ancillary things go into this calculus:

- Dwayne's poor play is impacting Ron's ability to evaluate the WRs. If they're not on the field enough it gets harder to evaluate the rest of the offense.

- Last year we saw Dwayne suck nuts until later in the season when he finally learned the offense. This year, new offense, and he's sucking nuts early. It's possible he's just a slow learner, in addition to having issues with mechanics and footwork. But if Ron looks at this and says I can't have a slow learner, there's no time for that in the NFL, because what if next year I decide to change coordinators? What if next year Scott and I need to adjust the scheme to fit the skills of new receivers? If being a slow learner holds us back, I'm good if Ron decides that's not good enough.

Some of these young QBs come in and get it quickly, it's not unreasonable to look for the next one who might be capable of that.

That all has to be balanced against the long term interests of seeing what you have in Dwayne, and at the same time weighing the chance of losing the locker room if you continue to start a shitty player.

I trust Ron will get it right. He's not there yet but he's sending signals, as he should.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:02 PM   #120
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:

Ron up here reading my post. Thanks for the shout out...let me know if you need anything

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote