Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Baltimore riots

Debating with the enemy

Old 06-25-2015, 07:21 PM   #106
over the mountain
Playmaker

Re: Baltimore riots

Maryland governor Larry Hogan approved plans to build the Purple Line, a $168 million train line that spans 16 miles from Bethesda to New Carrollton.

He also announced the killing of a project for the Red Line, which would connect east and west Baltimore and cost over $2 billion.

Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake wasn’t very happy when she heard about Hogan’s plans to discontinue the Red Line project.

Larry Hogan approves Purple Line, Baltimore is pissed | Baltimore Sun Times

So it begins.

New Republican governor is cutting and diverting funds for Baltimore City any chance he gets. First education, now transportation.

Not sure how I feel about this. Balt City disproportionately received State and Federal aid to stay afloat and I think they have taken all those life lines for granted and squandered it with corruption and incompetence.

But is Gov Hogan just going to let all of Baltimore City go down the drain? Seems like it.

His tense relationship with mayor SRB is not good. It is only going to gt worse bc SRB keeps making negative public comments about him.

News flash Stephanie - like everyone else with a boss - shit rolls down hill. Learn to work with the guy's staff, find one or two sympathetic ears and learn to polish up your open criticisms or dont make them public in the first place.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-26-2015, 08:32 AM   #107
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Former Baltimore cop blows the whistle.

Former Baltimore Police Officer Michael A Wood Jr publicly blows the whistle on police corruption - Americas - World - The Independent

"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:04 PM   #108
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Baltimore City Police Commissioner Batts "replaced."

Mayor replaces Police Commissioner Batts - Baltimore Sun

Also:

FOP releases findings from 'after action review' of Baltimore police riot response - Baltimore Sun

and the FOP's report:
Document: Baltimore FOP's After-Action Review - Baltimore Sun
Old 07-21-2015, 01:58 PM   #109
over the mountain
Playmaker

Riot-hit Baltimore plans to spend $136 million on recreation centers

in 2011 mayor SRB commission suggested consolidating the city rec centers to save some money.

now they are going to sell 4 parking garages to open more rec centers ... bc they think the disgruntled middle and high schoolers who did "the purge" dont have enough positive outlets.

the city rec centers are good ideas imo. the patterson park pool is awesome at $3 per. there is also a small pool a block away near perkins holmes which seems to be closed a lot more than open. i understand this is not meant as a end-all solution but i dont think it will have any effect at all. the kids will just leave the pool area and throw rocks at my 3 yr old daughter anyway. i dont think the lack of positive options was what made them throw rocks at a 3 yr old. i think their sense of entitlement, acting out bc they have depressiona nd anger all around them and the mentality of "fuck white people" was the main cause.

idk .. the idea of a one time sale of parking garages that I assume generates revenue to fund more rec centers after a commission found they should be closing some rec centers seems ...... reactionary and short sighted. rob 2016 and beyond to pay for 2015.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:10 AM   #110
over the mountain
Playmaker

I heard from a very informed person that the Freddie gray trial is going to be moved to Montgomery County. This is not reported yet.

Not sure why Howard or AA were looked over .... Balt County was probably too close/tainted pool.

I know Mont Co ASA John McCarthy pretty well. He is a legit ASA unlike Gansler who he replaced and Mosby who has zero experience. He worked his way up putting in the work.

If this does go to MoCo i feel bad for McCarthy bc (1) i dont think he can refuse to prosecute even though i imagine he would refuse if he could; (2) he will be blamed when the officers are found guilty of lesser included charges or not guilty on all charges.

if true, rookie know-nothing Mosby pretty much handed one of the best ASA in MD a steaming pile of shit to deal with.

Mosby should be forced to be first chair. if she is allowed to escape responsibility for this, i am going to be livid.
--------------------------------

Freddie Gray Case: Change of Venue Motion by Officers

^^ copy of the actual motion to change venue. i read half of it. looks to be strongly written.

Joe you might want to read and save in one of your sample pleadings/motions folders.

Last edited by over the mountain; 08-03-2015 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:25 AM   #111
Giantone
Gamebreaker

OTM , are you still in Baltimore ,I know you were talking about getting out.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:13 AM   #112
over the mountain
Playmaker

I moved out July 31st. I loaded up the moving truck over a few days and was surprised that no one cut my pad lock at night. I only had one incident where a couple of street guys tried to kinda half ass strong arm me. A little guy came up to me asking me if I knew where he could cash a check. theres a zillion cash checking and liquor stores around so i knew it was just a way for him to get close and start a fake conversation. I tried to close and lock the truck up but he leaned his body inside and I thought it was going to get physical as we were almost bodying each other up. i kept a screw driver in my right pocket for this very reason. he then called over a big guy who looked at me and looked at the inside of the truck full of clothes and crap and didnt want to bother with it.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:04 PM   #113
over the mountain
Playmaker

Judge orders officers charged in Freddie Gray case to be tried separately - Baltimore Sun

Judge Williams (former Balt City DA):

1. Denied - Def motion to dismiss for prosecutorial misconduct from Mosby's press conf stating charges (no way that was going to fly, perhaps done to buttress the next Def motion - recuse Mosbys office)

2. Denied - Def motion to recuse Mosby (Mosby is not the actual DA doing the trial or motions work. You would want her to do the actual court room work, she sucks. Im guessing this was to recuse the entire Balt City prosecutors office)

3. Granted - Def motion bifurcate and try the 6 defs separately. This is a huge win for the defense. No way they were going to win the motion to dismiss on statements mosby made. why they didnt attack the charging document/indictment, I dont know.

September 10 is the oral argument on motion to transfer venue. Im actually scheduled for depos downtown so im going to either postpone and avoid the crowds/rioters blocking traffic or see if i can get in the courtroom to listen if my depo times allow.

----------------------------------

Wilson said he knew Gray personally. He clutched a white cardboard sign that read, "I am here for Justice for Mr. Gray."

He said he's less concerned about whether the officers will be tried separately, but said he is worried about a later motions hearing to decide whether the case should be moved to another jurisdiction. Wilson feels that because Gray's arrest occurred in Baltimore, it should be tried here.

"It didn't happen anywhere else. It's going to cause an uproar," if it's moved outside the city, he said.
-------------------------------------

maybe i should postpone. ill be right next to the federal courthouse and have a straight shot out of the city and onto 395 to 95 but ... idk.

why would anyone want to do business in Balt City if you have to worry about rioters randomly blocking traffic?
Old 09-08-2015, 03:23 PM   #114
over the mountain
Playmaker

Freddie Gray settlement - Baltimore Sun

Why would the mayor release this info 2 days before the motion hearing on change of venue?

it clearly strengthens the defense argument that they cannot get a fair trial in the city.

answer - she knows the trial is going to be transferred so she is trying to prevent a riot on the 10th. im guessing the judge wont announce his decision on the 10th from the bench like he did on the earlier motions.

he will "take it under advisement" then release a written order a few days or weeks later granting the transfer. riots still ensue but not to the volatile degree that it would have been if it was announced on the 10th when protesters were standing by to turn into opportunistic rioters. this will all play out downtown now as well since the courthouse is the epi center and not sandtown/mondawin neighborhood.

ive been told Mo Co.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:05 AM   #115
over the mountain
Playmaker

Freddie Gray settlement hurts the prosecution - CNN.com

we will see how today goes .. rioting at 4
----------------------------

Hearing on Freddie Gray trial location to play out amid tensions - Baltimore Sun

mosby's political friend atty just got himself 1/3 of that 6.4 million ...

dangit, if only i was in this inner circle of corruption and ineptness!

Last edited by over the mountain; 09-10-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:16 AM   #116
over the mountain
Playmaker

trial staying in baltimore. my "source' was wrong.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:45 AM   #117
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Baltimore Mayor Rawlings-Blake won't seek re-election - CNN.com

of course not, her ass would get kicked.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:35 PM   #118
over the mountain
Playmaker

that just opens the door for criminally indicted ex-mayor Sheila Dixon.

people are shocked it wasnt transferred.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:54 PM   #119
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Uh-Oh
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:38 PM   #120
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

The mis-trial announced an hour ago.

The courthouse is literally across the street from where I work. Traffic looks normal, no crowds, no sirens. Right now, everything looks perfectly normal except for the three local news helicopters hovering over the courthouse.

I believe (and hope) that the scenes from Spring will not be replayed. The riots hurt Baltimore in so many ways. Really, nothing good came of them for anyone. Also, because the defendants are being tried separately, I think it diffuses the impact of any one of the trials.

Right now, just crossing my fingers and hoping everyone remains calm.