Redskins Sign K Billy Cundiff, Release Gano

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #106
Mechanix544
The Starter

Re: Redskins Sign K Billy Cundiff, Release Gano

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
gano sucks guys. if cundiff also sucks, guess what? we're no worse off. at worst we dropped one craptastic kicker for another. at best, we'll stop missing "easy" FGs.

either way, why do we have over 100 posts for a kicker signing? especially when the guy we had is awful by NFL standards.
because some here think that Gano was STILL going to become Sebastian Janikowski
Mechanix544 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #107
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
FG% numbers are not enough to judge a kicker. The mix of kicking distances plays a role in driving the kicker's overall percentage. Let's analyze Gano vs Cundiff from various distances over the last two seasons combined:

0-19 Yards, both 100% (one attempt each)
20-29 Yards, Cundiff 100% on 20 attempts, Gano 88% on 25 attempts
30-39 Yards, Cudiff 86% on 21 attempts, Gano 56% on 16 attempts
40-49 Yards, Cundiff 82% on 17 attempts, Gano 76% on 25 attempts
50+ Yards, Cundiff 14% on 7 attempts, Gano 44% on 9 attempts

Look at the atrocious performance from Gano from 30-39 yards. Those are FGs you have to make, especially if you're still developing as a Red Zone offense. If you're kicking from 30-39 it means the ball sits at the 13 - 23 yard line. It means your red zone offense stalled, and you desperately need to put those points on the board to atone for the lost TD opportunity in the red zone.

With Cundiff, you know you can't count on a 50 yarder to win the game, but at least you can plan for that. You know your 2 minute offense needs to target the 25 yard line to put the game away safely. With Gano, it almost doesn't matter whether you're trying a 55 yarder or a 35 yarder, he's shaky from both distances. You can't count on him to make it, every time he comes out it's a dice roll.

Stronger leg does not equal better kicker. Give me Cundiff.
Fine post, Schneed.

It is a fortunate team that has a kicker who can win a game with a 50+ yard FG. That is, if that kicker is also accurate at shorter distances. Unfortunately, there weren't any of those kickers available to the Redskins.

Given the choice between a kicker who is accurate inside of 50 yards but who can't hit the long FG's or a kicker who is not accurate inside of 50 yards but who has the ability to hit 50+ yard FG's, the smart coach takes the former every time. That is the choice that was presented to the Redskins coaches and they made the smart choice.

A few small points:

No kicker can be counted on to make the long FG's in the same way that a kicker can be counted on to make the shorter FG's.

Cundiff did choke on a short FG attempt in the AFC Championship game but that doesn't make him a choke artist for life, except in Baltimore.

It was almost certainly Cundiff's missed FG in the AFC Championship game alone that made him unwelcome in Baltimore and available to the Redskins. I think that miss turned out to be a good thing for the Skins.

Last edited by KI Skins Fan; 08-28-2012 at 01:11 PM.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #108
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
NC_Skins apparently has an irrational dislike for Danny Smith who is generally considered one of the top guys in the league. If only we had a better ST coach I am sure Gano would be HOF bound.

Our ST have not been nearly as bad as you think NC. At all.
Nothing irrational about it. The penalties. The blocked FGs. The kick out of bounds. Keeping Randle El on returns.....and this list goes on and on, year after year.

There is only so much you can blame the players until you have to start looking elsewhere. If things aren't corrected, you have to start looking at the coach. Nothing irrational about my beef with Danny Smith. The players have changed, but the one thing that is constant in this crappy ST play is the coach. Time for a fresh start and a new change.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #109
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
The last I recall, only one of those block the past 2 years was due to trajectory (as noted by Mike), and the other ones were simply blocked due to poor OL play. Hell, even the one that mike said had a low trajectory would have still been blocked even if it wasn't low. (from poor OL play)
those Gano jerseys probably half price now, pick yourself up a couple

:FIREdevil

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #110
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Nothing irrational about it. The penalties. The blocked FGs. The kick out of bounds. Keeping Randle El on returns.....and this list goes on and on, year after year.

There is only so much you can blame the players until you have to start looking elsewhere. If things aren't corrected, you have to start looking at the coach. Nothing irrational about my beef with Danny Smith. The players have changed, but the one thing that is constant in this crappy ST play is the coach. Time for a fresh start and a new change.
I agree with NC Skins about Danny Smith. Smith did a good job as a ST coach for many years but in recent years he's been slipping. Time for Danny to step it up.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #111
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
The last I recall, only one of those block the past 2 years was due to trajectory (as noted by Mike), and the other ones were simply blocked due to poor OL play. Hell, even the one that mike said had a low trajectory would have still been blocked even if it wasn't low. (from poor OL play)
Fair point, but irrelevant in my mind. I don't care about judging Gano fairly, I only care about creating a situation that results in no blocked FGs. You can accomplish that best by fixing the protection AND getting a K who kicks with a loftier trajectory. That is of course, ideal.

But fixing the protection is easier said than done when your sturdier linemen are hurt. So I ask you, what's easier, fix the protection or get a K that lofts the ball?

In this case a K that lofts the ball was available, and in the process you gain accuracy from within 50 yards. I'm sure Shanahan is working to fix the special teams protection as well, but it seems to me having our better blockers healthy is the biggest key to that.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #112
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I heard, but didn't look up, the stats that said our return teams allowed the fewest, or 2nd fewest, return yards. If true, that's definitely worth keeping DSmith. I will say sometimes on special teams Things happen that make you wanna pull out your hair. (Except for JR of course, cuz he doesn't have any to begin with)
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #113
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Danny Smith was a wanted man after Zorn left. lucky we kept him

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #114
CrustyRedskin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
huh? sight unseen? Did Gano get caught with an underage hooker last night? Forget what this says about Gano...what does it say about Rackers?

HTTR. You wern't a bunch of losers on 10-27-14.
CrustyRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #115
Schneed10
A Dude

Given Gano's erratic kicking on attempts that did not get blocked, we can't assume he would have made all 5 of the blocked attempts. Based on his history, 3 out of 5 is probably the most reasonable expectation.

Unacceptable no matter how you cut it.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #116
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbedner3420 View Post
I'm almost positive you just wanted an excuse not to work today.
Typical Canadian. Pfft...

Old 08-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #117
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Much to the delight of htownskinsfan

I almost didnt even notice this thread.Im shocked,hell smoot you even agreed with my points.Im not upset about losing Gano,just shocked how it all turned out.My first reaction was I'd rather have had Rackers,but after reading thru all the post and seeing Cundiffs fg pct inside 50,Im not so upset.I havent seen a comparison with Rackers and Cundiff,from memory I think he{Rackers} had a problem from 40-49 yrds last yr,but was money over 50
Be nice to have a kicker that can hit the long ones,but if Cundiff is money inside 50 thats good too
Old 08-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #118
exit0
Camp Scrub

Gano was just too erratic... missing FGs too often that most kickers make in their sleep. He's a hot and cold kicker... need someone who is consistent.

As for Cundiff missing that easy FG in the playoffs last year. I don't blame him nearly as much as the Ravens coaches. They took way too much time deciding what to do and then rushed the FG team onto the field and he had to rush the kick. Certainly he should have made it but the coaches made it so much more difficult.
exit0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #119
los panda
Pro Bowl

i wonder if cundiff still gets his hair cut at the place i used to work? i met him once, he was so small, nice guy.

just like peyton manning, hope to see him return to 2010 form.

i preferred gano but oh well...
Old 08-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #120
firstdown
Living Legend

I was just reading todays paper and it said that Gano was safe. WTF
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote