do you speed?

Parking Lot

Old 04-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #106
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: do you speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Has anyone here said they regularly travel 95mph and defended as much?

Speeding is not more legal or justifiable than becoming a highway vigilante like yourself. So I guess we're all just hypocrites then.
Yeah, a couple people have said that. Angry in post 22. And redskinsjim told us he took is car up to 128 mph (on an open road). In post 2 JoeRedskin said he goes 75-95 depending on the situation. So I guess in most situations he'd be fine, in some not so much.

But I have no significant problem with going 10-15 mph over the limit. It's not the coolest thing in the world but that's not something that will get my panties in a bunch. I've got no problem with the way you drive, for example, Scud. We wouldn't have a problem on the roads at all.

That's why I keep saying people have gotten caught up in debating me because I'm an asshole, even though for most here there's no fundamental disagreement. Hell, Matty even told us how in residential neighborhoods if someone is tailing him, he'll slow down to piss them off.

I mean isn't that basically the same thing? It's a passive aggressive move.

Advertisements
Old 04-13-2009, 01:52 PM   #107
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsisgod View Post
the last thing on my mind was how much time I would save by going 95. The only thing on mind was I needed to be with my child ASAP. And I was flashing my lights and had my hazards on and all I know is he was acting just like you.

All I'm saying is 2 wrongs don't make a right. And the major point is you don't know why a person might be speeding.

Hypothetical scenario: Lets take the Ryan Moats situation and change it up a bit. Lets say he got a call saying a family member was dying and he needed to come now. He follows the speed limt and gets to the hospital only to find out he was 5 minutes too late. I would bet if you were in this situation you would drive as fast as you could to be beside a loved one who was dying.

In my situation I was 22 years old and my wife was 20. Our daughter was having a serious medical issue and while 911 was called, It was my responsibility to be there. You are right, endangering the lives of others is never a good thing but at the time, I did what was necessary and someone like you was just being an asshole vigilante traffic cop.

Other then support how where you going to help your ailing daughter? Was this worth risking your life and others? Hmmm...no.

I realize there is a huge emotionally factor here but get someone else to drive you.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #108
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I would not be shelfish enough to endanger others so that ?I could spend the last 9 minutes with my mom. Nothing justifys endanger other people's lives or your own by driving reckless and fast.

My cop friend always says the most dangerous weapon you can give someone is an automoblie. I tend to agree with him.
Moats wasn't hauling ass like a jerk, he was probably speeding a bit, but he had his hazards on, and the reason he was stopped was for running a red light. However, he came to a complete stop at that light, and when he saw no other cars were coming, he went through the intersection. Sure, he violated a traffic law, but it was pretty defensible given the circumstances. I certainly wouldn't say he was recklessly endangering other people's lives.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #109
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Other then support how where you going to help your ailing daughter? Was this worth risking your life and others? Hmmm...no.

I realize there is a huge emotionally factor here but get someone else to drive you.
Exactly. How can you help a sick child? You're not an MD, right?

It's an emotional reaction, which believe me, I get. I'd probably feel compelled to get there as quickly as possible too. But that doesn't make it smart, and that doesn't make it right.

What I'd really kick myself over is if I got in an accident where I killed somebody, or left my wife without a husband.

In that situation I think I'd have to draw upon faith. Send up a prayer to whatever God there may be, and hope it all turns out alright.

I feel for you though GIG, and even though I disagree with the actions you took, don't think the weight of the situation is lost on me. I would struggle with it as well, and I imagine I'd get up to 90 at times and then remind myself to cool down and be safe, and then get back up to 90, and cool down and be safe, and so on.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:57 PM   #110
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

I guess it's.......WWHVD?
What would highway vigilante do? Crazy man!
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:58 PM   #111
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Moats wasn't hauling ass like a jerk, he was probably speeding a bit, but he had his hazards on, and the reason he was stopped was for running a red light. However, he came to a complete stop at that light, and when he saw no other cars were coming, he went through the intersection. Sure, he violated a traffic law, but it was pretty defensible given the circumstances. I certainly wouldn't say he was recklessly endangering other people's lives.
This is why I don't like to argue hypotheticals, it's just confusing and pointless.

We're not debating what happened to Moats, we're debating whether it would be OK to speed excessively if you had a relative on their deathbed and you had moments to see them one final time.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:58 PM   #112
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Yeah, a couple people have said that. Angry in post 22. And redskinsjim told us he took is car up to 128 mph (on an open road). In post 2 JoeRedskin said he goes 75-95 depending on the situation. So I guess in most situations he'd be fine, in some not so much.

But I have no significant problem with going 10-15 mph over the limit. It's not the coolest thing in the world but that's not something that will get my panties in a bunch. I've got no problem with the way you drive, for example, Scud. We wouldn't have a problem on the roads at all.

That's why I keep saying people have gotten caught up in debating me because I'm an asshole, even though for most here there's no fundamental disagreement. Hell, Matty even told us how in residential neighborhoods if someone is tailing him, he'll slow down to piss them off.

I gotcha. Like I said before, even though I'm not a fan of your behavior on the roads, we're basically in agreement. The only thing I'm not sure about is your assumption that calmly traveling around 90 in a straight line is more likely to cause and accident than road-raging at 75.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:00 PM   #113
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Man I hate that, if someone is riding my ass in residential area where the limit is 30 or 35 most times I'll ease off the gas by a good 5 mph just to piss them off even more.
Had to dig this up. How is this better or different from what I do?
Old 04-13-2009, 02:05 PM   #114
gibbsisgod
Playmaker

Quote:
Exactly. How can you help a sick child? You're not an MD, right?

It's an emotional reaction, which believe me, I get. I'd probably feel compelled to get there as quickly as possible too. But that doesn't make it smart, and that doesn't make it right.

What I'd really kick myself over is if I got in an accident where I killed somebody, or left my wife without a husband.

In that situation I think I'd have to draw upon faith. Send up a prayer to whatever God there may be, and hope it all turns out alright.

I feel for you though GIG, and even though I disagree with the actions you took, don't think the weight of the situation is lost on me. I would struggle with it as well, and I imagine I'd get up to 90 at times and then remind myself to cool down and be safe, and then get back up to 90, and cool down and be safe, and so on.
No I'm not an MD. I was a very young and new father who was scared. You are right though, it wasn't smart.

My whole point was to not take the law into your own hands because it may be a life or death situation one time. The person who held me up didn't know my child was having an emergency, and you don't know what the situation is of the person who is speeding.
gibbsisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:08 PM   #115
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
I never said Moat did this, I was saying I would not do this.

GM not to be a jerk but you should try re-reading post before commenting a few times here and in the "advice needed" thread you have made remarks then had to back peddle cause you said the wrong thing. I have done it too, just saying.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:15 PM   #116
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Man, that is some funny stuff. You know that guy is ripping his car apart trying to find his Sawed-off

MK.......you should be ashamed
Man I hate that, if someone is riding my ass in residential area where the limit is 30 or 35 most times I'll ease off the gas by a good 5 mph just to piss them off even more.
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:17 PM   #117
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsisgod View Post
No I'm not an MD. I was a very young and new father who was scared. You are right though, it wasn't smart.

My whole point was to not take the law into your own hands because it may be a life or death situation one time. The person who held me up didn't know my child was having an emergency, and you don't know what the situation is of the person who is speeding.
That's a fair point. But again I have to go by the odds.

Chances are I'm not going to run into a maniac with a gun on the road, and chances are the speeder behind me is not in a life or death situation.

And even if he is, I'm probably doing him a favor by slowing him down, even though he definitely wouldn't see it that way at the time.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:28 PM   #118
MTK
\m/

Quote:

No it's not the same. On the highway I'll move over to allow them to pass in the appropriate passing lane. On a normal 2 lane road I don't have to concede. I may slow down but I'll still go a reasonable speed, I'm not slowing down to a ridiculous crawl.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:57 PM   #119
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
I never said Moat did this, I was saying I would not do this.

GM not to be a jerk but you should try re-reading post before commenting a few times here and in the "advice needed" thread you have made remarks then had to back peddle cause you said the wrong thing. I have done it too, just saying.
Actually, the way I read it, you did:

"I would not be selfish enough to endanger others so that I could spend the last 9 minutes with my mom." (Not to be a jerk, but I fixed your typos/spelling )

That sounds to me like you said you wouldn't be selfish enough to act the way Moats did.

I appreciate your input, but I don't think I need much help with my reading comprehension.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:04 PM   #120
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
To be fair, if I saw blinking hazards I'd move over. Like TMC said it would probably signal me that something's up.
Yeah, hazard lights would, but high beams would signify a road-raged jerk 99% of the time.

I have actually called the police on some punk kid in a Japanese farting car (Civic I believe) that was weaving in and out of traffic near on-ramps and actually cut me off TWICE after he got caught in a "slower" lane and I ended up going past him again.

The police looked up the number and paid a visit to the address. Turned out the car was registered to a woman but she said the car was for sale and let someone test drive it. Don't know what happened beyond that update from the police, but he was endangering not only my life, but several others that morning.

I have a baby in the car many times I am driving and I don't care if you are in a hurry, I'm not going to join idiots in driving like them. If I'm in their way, too bad, I'm the one abiding by the law and trying to protect my family.

I'm with you in having a very low tolerance for impatient jerks on the road.