Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Updated: Browns Select WR Josh Gordon in 2nd Round

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 07-13-2012, 07:11 AM   #106
MonkFan4Life
The Starter

No, they get him for a second in 2013

http://www.youtube.com/user/DowntimeRB?feature=mhw5

The "punishment" by the league : "It's like getting a ticket for going too fast on a road a week ago and they changed the speed limit today"
MonkFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #107
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: Updated: Browns Select WR Josh Gordon in 2nd Round

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGIII View Post
I always thought a selection made in the supplemental draft translated into a later draft pick. For example, a second round selection would actually garner a third round pick in the following draft.

So CLE gets Gordon for a 2013 3rd round pick. (?)
I believe you are thinking of the draft trade value chart. The supplemental draft is the actual round, so that Cleveland agreed to use next year's 2nd round pick on this guy.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #108
ethat001
Impact Rookie

We really cannot criticize this move.

1) Considering we spent two 2nd round picks on M.Kelly and D.Thomas in our draft a couple of years ago with Vinnnny. Wasting two draft picks on WR's who haven't done anything in 3 years --> was actually a worse move than this.

2) Considering we gave up 3 FIRST round draft picks a couple of months ago.

Anyway, IF Gordon is good-- then this was expensive for the Browns, but could make a lot of sense. They get one free year of experience by taking him in this draft instead of a draft pick next year, AND get a starting RB, QB and WR all in one draft. Could make them dramatically better within 2 years, and they had many extra picks these last two years from the Julio Jones trade last year anyway.

Last edited by ethat001; 07-13-2012 at 11:37 PM.
ethat001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:07 AM   #109
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethat001 View Post

1) Considering we spent two 2nd round picks on M.Kelly and D.Thomas in our draft a couple of years ago with Vinnnny. Wasting two draft picks on WR's who haven't done anything in 3 years --> was actually a worse move than this.

Anyway, IF Gordon is good-- then this was expensive for the Browns, but could make a lot of sense. They get one free year of experience by taking him in this draft instead of a draft pick next year, AND get a starting RB, QB and WR all in one draft. Could make them dramatically better within 2 years, and they had many extra picks these last two years from the Julio Jones trade last year anyway.
While I agree that this could possibly generate the offense that they are looking for in reality it was a very risky move. A "no guts no glory" type of move. If it works out for them then great, but the odds are stacked way against them. Realistically it will take about 1 season for Gordon to get back to the level that he was at. Compound that with having to learn how to play at the next level and you have a recipe for failure. It would be one of the greatest comeback stories ever if he could accelerate his learning curve and become just a productive guy in a couple of seasons. Barring a miracle I do not see it happening.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:37 AM   #110
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
While I agree that this could possibly generate the offense that they are looking for in reality it was a very risky move. A "no guts no glory" type of move. If it works out for them then great, but the odds are stacked way against them. Realistically it will take about 1 season for Gordon to get back to the level that he was at. Compound that with having to learn how to play at the next level and you have a recipe for failure. It would be one of the greatest comeback stories ever if he could accelerate his learning curve and become just a productive guy in a couple of seasons. Barring a miracle I do not see it happening.
Aka a Jack Hoffman type of move...

Old 07-14-2012, 09:20 AM   #111
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:

Of course we can criticize it. First of all, plenty criticized the Kelly and Thomas signings and you can't say that those were worst moves when Gordon hasn't done a thing in the NFL. And we traded multiple first rounders for a franchise level QB with impeccable off the field characteristics, not a raw, toking receiver
Old 07-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #112
InsaneBoost
The Starter

I'd be willing to bet he doesn't take a snap in the NFL. He's not even in football shape. Yeah he looks good and is in decent shape, but there's a fine line between "good shape" and football shape.

With all the WR's on the market, FA's, they would have been better going after one of them IMO.

Then again, I heard another team was about to drop a third for him

InsaneBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #113
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

^ I wonder if/when we'll find out whom that team was who put in a third for him, if that team did.

As for the browns selecting this kid. Supplemental draft picks have just simply not been good the past 10 years. Not to say there won't be another good supplemental pick. This kid is Raw. He has speed. Reminds me of Hakeem Nicks without the hands...so again he's very raw. The browns need help--anything for that matter. They probably hate us as much as their division rivals, being that we took their QB from them, and their WR's (Garcon and Morgan) from them. They are looking for any hope to get their fans excited for another crappy season. They need help everywhere. Especially WR. This is that small amount 'yay!' for their fans (or more rage from the bald headed machete browns fan...this guy.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #114
InsaneBoost
The Starter

I knew what team it is/was, just can't think of their name right now to save my life. Perhaps Smoot can be of assistance? It wasn't the Redskins though.

InsaneBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #115
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
The move smacks of Holmgren mismanagement.
Its kinda shocking to me that Holmgren isn't on the hotseat.
This move was desperate and expensive in terms of draft resources.
But, it makes sense for Holmgren.
He can pin the Browns previous struggles on Colt McCoy instead of his inabilty to build a competitive team.
Gordon makes sense because IF he pans out and upgrades the Browns receiving, Holmgren looks good.
Trent Richardson is gonna help everyone in that entire offense, except for Colt McCoy .
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #116
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneBoost View Post
I knew what team it is/was, just can't think of their name right now to save my life. Perhaps Smoot can be of assistance? It wasn't the Redskins though.
Believe the Dolphins did. Though there was a rumor the Bills did as well.

Though that Bills rumor could have been something leaked out of Browns camp to basically say "See? We had to take him in the 2nd because Buffalo was planning to take him in the 3rd and they pick before us in the 3rd"
Old 07-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #117
los panda
Pro Bowl

is malcolm kelly finished?
Old 07-14-2012, 08:57 PM   #118
That Guy
Living Legend

did malcolm kelly ever start? i mean, he's never even done anything to merit the question.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:11 AM   #119
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
But, then again when you draft the best RB and have a decent OL all you really got to do is hand it off to him 300+ carries and use play-action.
That's really testing Pat Shurmur's offensive gamecalling abilities.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:17 AM   #120
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
is malcolm kelly finished?
Malcolm Kelly was finished the day he was drafted. He didn't amount to anything at all. He was a wasted 2nd round pick. I haven't heard anything about him trying out for another team, another team showing interest in him, or him entering into another pro league. The dude is well done like a steak.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote