WR McCardell considering signing with Redskins, Texans

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-21-2007, 01:10 PM   #106
freddyg12
Playmaker

Re: WR McCardell considering return to NFL with Redskins, Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Adding another WR would not be a bad idea. But he has got to be a young guy that we can develop. KM is not going to beat out BL or ARE for the 2nd and 3rd wr spots. Sorry guys but it's just not going to happen. So that leaves JT. Why in the hell would you bring in an old 4th wr that does not play teams?????? IT MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL.
I think JLC's point is a good one - KM being there would have an influence. I don't always buy that vet leadership line (see bruce smith), but JLC's point is that it would send a message to BL et al, that they will have to compete for a roster spot & playing time. That didn't happen last year, as the job was basically handed to Loyd. Both ARE & JT outplayed him.

IF KM is signed I would expect him to not be on the active roster until someone gets hurt. Since we'd have 4 wr's who don't play teams, that could present some roster shuffling challenges I'll admit, but I really think this could work & the guy that is being challenged is Loyd. Whether they sign KM as a threat to his pt, or as insurance against him turning TO on us, it seems a good strategy.

On the other hand, if it comes down to KM & Espy all thing being equal in terms of production, I would prefer to see Espy get a spot. I just don't believe that Espy has demonstrated that he's ready for sundays. Hopefully he'll get some time w/the first unit in preseason & shine.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-21-2007, 01:10 PM   #107
dmek25
MVP

right now the skins have a somewhat young receiving corps. why bring in Mccardell? to me this move makes absolutely no sense
Old 06-21-2007, 02:15 PM   #108
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
I think JLC's point is a good one - KM being there would have an influence. I don't always buy that vet leadership line (see bruce smith), but JLC's point is that it would send a message to BL et al, that they will have to compete for a roster spot & playing time. That didn't happen last year, as the job was basically handed to Loyd. Both ARE & JT outplayed him.

IF KM is signed I would expect him to not be on the active roster until someone gets hurt. Since we'd have 4 wr's who don't play teams, that could present some roster shuffling challenges I'll admit, but I really think this could work & the guy that is being challenged is Loyd. Whether they sign KM as a threat to his pt, or as insurance against him turning TO on us, it seems a good strategy.

On the other hand, if it comes down to KM & Espy all thing being equal in terms of production, I would prefer to see Espy get a spot. I just don't believe that Espy has demonstrated that he's ready for sundays. Hopefully he'll get some time w/the first unit in preseason & shine.
I see what you are saying but the guy is 37, he can't run anymore and has no future here. It reminds me of signings like Andre Reed and Troy Vincent. I would rather them try and see if Espy can take a step up since it's his 2nd year in the system. Why is it that we are always going after older guys that are not going to be here in 2-3 years?
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:27 PM   #109
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Yeah, I'd rather see us live or die by our younger players than AGAIN overpay for a vet (mercenary) who won't be here...

I could think of worse scenarios than to sign McCardell, but I'd love to see what we have in Espy first.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:31 PM   #110
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

I think what we have in Espy is a guy that wont play

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:32 PM   #111
MTK
\m/

Why does a player have to have a future to be worth signing? You can't have an entire team full of young guys, veterans have to be part of the mix as well. We have our share of youth at WR with guys like Moss, ARE and Lloyd all under the age of 30.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:34 PM   #112
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I don't have a problem with vets. What I have a problem with is that since he's rejected our veteran minimum offer, that we'll overpay for a position that we need to explore what we have in, or else we're going to stunt their growths.

For me, I feel like signings like that are for when you're on the cusp and just need one more guy to put you over the top.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:35 PM   #113
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Why does a player have to have a future to be worth signing? You can't have an entire team full of young guys, veterans have to be part of the mix as well. We have our share of youth at WR with guys like Moss, ARE and Lloyd all under the age of 30.

That is what I have been saying

Old 06-21-2007, 03:07 PM   #114
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Anyone else think this thread title is sort of misleading? Saying he's considering "return to NFL" makes it sound like he's Cris Carter, and has sat out for a few years. He played 11 games just last year
Old 06-21-2007, 03:08 PM   #115
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
That is what I have been saying
Someone needs to train you on sig etiquette. How many lines and spaces do you really need?
Old 06-21-2007, 03:10 PM   #116
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

when you put it that way it does seem a little misleading.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:18 PM   #117
freddyg12
Playmaker

I see both sides of this, and as I mentioned earlier I'd love to see Espy break out & make the roster from day 1, but let's not get carried away thinking that he is based on some good preseason games last year. I think we have a tendency to over value some guys w/the hope that they become good players, but truth is they're a dime a dozen till they prove otherwise.

KM is old, but I bet he can beat out espy as a wr. If we add spec. teams in, that's a different story, but first Espy has to show the coaches enough as a wr to make the case.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:51 PM   #118
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
OR, we could give Espy a shot, and if he doesn't set the world on fire, cut him and move on with 4 recievers on the 53 man.

I don't get this. Are we happy letting Lloyd and ARE prove themselves or not? We say we are, and now we want McCardell?
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:56 PM   #119
MTK
\m/

Re: WR McCardell considering signing with Redskins, Texans

Just 4 WRs?

That's leaving things a little thin there.

I don't think McCardell is a threat to Lloyd or ARE's playing time. He'll be a quality guy for depth and situational type stuff.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:57 PM   #120
70Chip
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
OR, we could give Espy a shot, and if he doesn't set the world on fire, cut him and move on with 4 recievers on the 53 man.

I don't get this. Are we happy letting Lloyd and ARE prove themselves or not? We say we are, and now we want McCardell?
Remember that the people who are considering this have been watching OTA's. I've heard Campbell, Mcintosh, and Cooley singled out for praise, but not Lloyd. If they see a problem I would like them address it now. Let's not limp along hoping things improve on their own.