The Sam Howell Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-19-2023, 06:36 PM   #1126
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Re: The Sam Howell Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Funny how everyone kept saying he wasn't getting open. Then Jacoby gets in there and all of a sudden Terry's open.
This comment from Steven Ruiz is interesting:
https://twitter.com/theStevenRuiz/st...12144463851724

The tweets below it (posts? Not sure what to call them now thanks to Musk) about Howell’s metrics this year are also interesting. My guess is the boss wants future GM and HC to have enough data to make an informed decision but it doesn’t sound good for Sam.

Also worth reading from Terry:
https://twitter.com/NickiJhabvala/st...eron-cheeseman

Advertisements
Old 12-20-2023, 02:54 AM   #1127
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Funny how everyone kept saying he wasn't getting open. Then Jacoby gets in there and all of a sudden Terry's open.
Yeah against a Rams D up 2 scores late in the 4th and playing effectively prevent. Not to diss JB but it's not representative.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 07:28 AM   #1128
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I think Terry needs a true On Time passer as his QB , Sam is more of an off schedule QB.
Old 12-20-2023, 08:35 AM   #1129
davy
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
Yeah against a Rams D up 2 scores late in the 4th and playing effectively prevent. Not to diss JB but it's not representative.
I'm glad somebody else noticed.

There were no extra rushers and the 4 down linemen made no attempt to get to the QB so Brissett had all day to throw the ball unlike Howell.

Old 12-20-2023, 08:41 AM   #1130
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy View Post
I'm glad somebody else noticed.

There were no extra rushers and the 4 down linemen made no attempt to get to the QB so Brissett had all day to throw the ball unlike Howell.

Rams barely blitz anyway, but that doesnt explain why we hadnt had a 40 yard completion to a WR all season

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 08:46 AM   #1131
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Howell has been down by 30 against the Bills, Cowboys and Dolphins and still wasn't getting the ball to Terry. Maybe it has to do with Sam being more off schedule maybe it is because he is more comfortable with other receivers but regardless he has had more garbage time against back ups than JB
Old 12-20-2023, 08:56 AM   #1132
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

At the end of the day SH has 3 more games to show what he can do.. If he continues this down trend then he will most likely be replaced next yr
Old 12-20-2023, 08:56 AM   #1133
davy
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
Howell has been down by 30 against the Bills, Cowboys and Dolphins and still wasn't getting the ball to Terry. Maybe it has to do with Sam being more off schedule maybe it is because he is more comfortable with other receivers but regardless he has had more garbage time against back ups than JB
Not defending Howell, I don't think he is the answer at QB, just saying it's unfair comparing the 2 QBs based on the Rams game.
Old 12-20-2023, 09:05 AM   #1134
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

The numbers back up the eye test, Sam has regressed the last month or so. We'll see what happens after the season but if he finishes these last 3 games the same way it's almost guaranteed a new staff will go with a new qb.
Old 12-20-2023, 09:14 AM   #1135
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy View Post
Not defending Howell, I don't think he is the answer at QB, just saying it's unfair comparing the 2 QBs based on the Rams game.
I can agree with that
Old 12-20-2023, 09:43 AM   #1136
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post

The numbers back up the eye test, Sam has regressed the last month or so. We'll see what happens after the season but if he finishes these last 3 games the same way it's almost guaranteed a new staff will go with a new qb.
Bear in mind that he has faced better teams in weeks 9-12, this has been his true rookie year, he has been beat up all season, some of his teammates have quit on the team, etc. The jury is still out on Sam, IMO.

Don't confuse the above as my saying we shouldn't draft or acquire another QB. I think the new football executives should be alert for opportunities to improve any position. I just think it's way too soon to close the book on Sam's career as an NFL starter, here or elsewhere.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 09:51 AM   #1137
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Bear in mind that he has faced better teams in weeks 9-12, this has been his true rookie year, he has been beat up all season, some of his teammates have quit on the team, etc. The jury is still out on Sam, IMO.

Don't confuse the above as my saying we shouldn't draft or acquire another QB. I think the new football executives should be alert for opportunities to improve any position. I just think it's way too soon to close the book on Sam's career as an NFL starter, here or elsewhere.

Agree with this 110 percent. I will add his coaching staff has quit also - not that they were adding to his development before. He has zero home field advantage and zero run game.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 10:04 AM   #1138
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Agreed. It shouldn't be nailed on we draft a QB or don't, it'll be the new regimes decision in any case. But giving up on SH based on just the last 6 games with this team is short-sighted.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 10:05 AM   #1139
MTK
\m/

While the season has been a disaster I don't think it's fair to say the coaches have quit. EB especially wants to put good tape out there with the offense for whatever his next opportunity is.
Old 12-20-2023, 10:07 AM   #1140
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post

Oh I'm not closing the book on his career as a starter, he flashed potential earlier in the year. Just saying he appears to have regressed. His accuracy and vision is off and he appears to be playing timid.