Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

What REALLY grinds your gears?

Parking Lot

Old 07-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #1126
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: What REALLY grinds your gears?

My new boss calls me "big dog." Gears --> Grinded. He also told me he expects me to be his muscle. Sigh. Between this and completely changing my normal work routine, this hasn't been a smooth transition so far.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #1127
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Shop with the Big Dogs
Old 07-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #1128
mlmpetert
Playmaker

People who stop to let other people in.

Honestly if youre doing this dont think youre being a nice guy, you arnt. All your doing to helping one person out at the expense of everyone behind you. That person trying to turn on to OUR lane will be able to do so in just time, dont worry about him. Its not your job to help him out while screwing over everyone behind you that missed a light they wold have otherwise made.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #1129
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Bosses who micromanage. And are also determined to "fix" what isn't broken. Is this related to previous posts of mine in this thread? Yes. I'm officially going insane.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #1130
Monksdown
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Bosses who micromanage. And are also determined to "fix" what isn't broken. Is this related to previous posts of mine in this thread? Yes. I'm officially going insane.
Yup. They dont really understand how your job is done, so they create 'busy' work for you by making requests for things that really arent worth the time you invest in them. Sure, i'll work for 2 weeks on this report, which you may or may not use to impress someone that decided 10 years ago they dont like you and will never promote you. Absolutely, would love to, great idea, when is my review? douchebag
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #1131
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
One of the best skills you can achieve in life is the ability to manage your boss. Some folks are really good at it and others not so much.

My one buddy is awesome at it and his career has shinned due to it. He has delt with some really tough bosses but in the end they liked him and promoted him along.

If folks know you work an a$$hole and you prove you can thrive under a a$$hole; mean you just laid a golden path for yourself.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #1132
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

People who take their dog out in public (park, beach, walk through city) and dont clean up after it. I gotta Lab and proudly rock the poop bag.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #1133
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
One of the best skills you can achieve in life is the ability to manage your boss. Some folks are really good at it and others not so much.

My one buddy is awesome at it and his career has shinned due to it. He has delt with some really tough bosses but in the end they liked him and promoted him along.

If folks know you work an a$$hole and you prove you can thrive under a a$$hole; mean you just laid a golden path for yourself.
Yeah I can agree with that. My strategy at work has always been to stay under the radar, don't complain, and just get my shit done.

I know some people who constantly butt heads with their supervisors, I never understood that. As a result they're constantly on the shit list and the funny thing is, they never seem to understand why.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #1134
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
People who take their dog out in public (park, beach, walk through city) and dont clean up after it. I gotta Lab and proudly rock the poop bag.
F'ing slobs. I mean they're literally leaving shit on the ground and they're ok with that. Mother F'ers.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #1135
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
F'ing slobs. I mean they're literally leaving shit on the ground and they're ok with that. Mother F'ers.
Oh the best ones are the ones who pick it up with the little plastic bag then proceed to just throw the little poop filled bag on the ground. So you just took poop that probably would have decomposed in a week or so and now it will last 1000 years, awesome! Good job.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #1136
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
The person who lets their dog poop right in front of my house and doesn't clean it up.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #1137
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
The person who lets their dog poop right in front of my house and doesn't clean it up.
This. A thousand times this. Especially whoever let Fido crap on the asphalt right in front of my mailbox rather than in the grass.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #1138
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
I found some in front of my house just yesterday. I don't get why people can't understand picking up their dogs' poop is a necessary evil. Sure it's nasty and nobody likes doing it, but it has to be done.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #1139
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Yeah I can agree with that. My strategy at work has always been to stay under the radar, don't complain, and just get my shit done.

I know some people who constantly butt heads with their supervisors, I never understood that. As a result they're constantly on the shit list and the funny thing is, they never seem to understand why.
That's always been the way I operated, but my old boss knew within the first month the way I operated and gave me all the leeway necessary to get the job done. I never had to deal with him breathing over my shoulder at every turn and telling me the way I needed to be doing things, my old boss was an "as long as you get your work done correct and in a timely fashion, I will leave you alone" kind of guy, whereas my new boss is a "I am going to get involved in every aspect of how you do things, and I'm going to make you conform to my outdated (seriously who goes from using a computer system back to the old "print paperwork for everything you do, and maintain file cabinets full of paperwork) methods" kind of guy. Run-on sentences aside, I've been following all his instructions for how I need to do my job, so we'll see. I'm not trying to burn any bridges here just because I had it good with my old boss.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #1140
cpayne5
Playmaker

Employees who act like children into their 30s.

I've got this one guy who works for me who internalizes everything. He does not know how to take constructive criticism. To him, everything is a personal attack. We have handled him with kid gloves for the 3 years he has worked with us, because we know he's "sensitive." I'm finding out that we should have been more blunt with him all along. If we ask him to make a change to the way he's doing something, he sulks off to his desk and doesn't talk to anyone for a week (no joke).

Grow up, Drew.

BTW, if anyone is looking for a cleared .NET developer, I will gladly pass along his resume.