Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Trent Williams holding out for new deal

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Should the Redskins pay or trade Trent Williams?
Pay him 34 46.58%
Trade him 39 53.42%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 09:02 AM   #1111
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Re: Trent Williams holding out for new deal

I get sentiment and the context, and probably as a Brit and seeing the way it works differently with our game of football (indeed how it works globally), I have a different slant. I don't know the detail with TW (who does?), so I'm coming from the perspective of labour relations not the NFL. I simply see a guy who has a grievance that he does not feel was addressed by the team. I don't know if either side handled in a thoroughly proper manner and I don't think either did. I just think there has to be a basis to this (smoke=fire) and a better way of handling it than appears to have happened.

I just feel the line 'You signed a contract, honor it' or variations thereof is a little too hard nosed especially in todays world. If he withdraws his labour, he doesn't get paid, just like anyone going on strike. He has to decide if it's worth the financial loss or not, not us. And I sense he's realising it isn't.

Advertisements
Old 09-06-2019, 09:14 AM   #1112
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I see a guy who used a medical issue as a weapon to bash the team and force a trade. The more we found out about the medical issue...the more it came to light the Skins were not negligent in the handling of the issue.

Now TW may "feel" like they did...but "facts" state they weren't. Facts > Feelings

He Gets Us
Old 09-06-2019, 09:22 AM   #1113
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
I get sentiment and the context, and probably as a Brit and seeing the way it works differently with our game of football (indeed how it works globally), I have a different slant. I don't know the detail with TW (who does?), so I'm coming from the perspective of labour relations not the NFL. I simply see a guy who has a grievance that he does not feel was addressed by the team. I don't know if either side handled in a thoroughly proper manner and I don't think either did. I just think there has to be a basis to this (smoke=fire) and a better way of handling it than appears to have happened.

I just feel the line 'You signed a contract, honor it' or variations thereof is a little too hard nosed especially in todays world. If he withdraws his labour, he doesn't get paid, just like anyone going on strike. He has to decide if it's worth the financial loss or not, not us. And I sense he's realising it isn't.
I am coming from outside the NFL world too though. When a union is set up, they are supposed to speak for the members. How can a company deal in good faith with a union, if the members don't abide by the agreed upon terms.

The fact that TW has not filed a lawsuit, an NFLPA grievance, an request to sanction the Redskins, says to me that he doesn't have a factual basis to withhold his services. Antonio Brown may have been an idiot about his helmet, but he did file grievances with the NFL. TW is not in a contract dispute with the Skins, he simply doesn't want to honor his contract. That's not good policy for any Labor Relations situation, in any country that abides in market principles.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:37 AM   #1114
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I see a guy who used a medical issue as a weapon to bash the team and force a trade. The more we found out about the medical issue...the more it came to light the Skins were not negligent in the handling of the issue.

Now TW may "feel" like they did...but "facts" state they weren't. Facts > Feelings

9/6/2019 .............we agree. ...........holy shit!
Old 09-06-2019, 10:52 AM   #1115
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I am coming from outside the NFL world too though. When a union is set up, they are supposed to speak for the members. How can a company deal in good faith with a union, if the members don't abide by the agreed upon terms.

The fact that TW has not filed a lawsuit, an NFLPA grievance, an request to sanction the Redskins, says to me that he doesn't have a factual basis to withhold his services. Antonio Brown may have been an idiot about his helmet, but he did file grievances with the NFL. TW is not in a contract dispute with the Skins, he simply doesn't want to honor his contract. That's not good policy for any Labor Relations situation, in any country that abides in market principles.
Excellent point - and one which has not been brought up by any reporter.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:11 PM   #1116
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:

Agree. The fundamental issue I think, like Kirk Cousins, is he doesn't want to be a Redskin any longer and is doing what he can to wriggle his way free.

It won't work as well as it did for Cousins. Trent is 31 and will be 33 when his contract ends. Skins can easily tag him for that age 33 season.

They could consider tagging him again for the age 34 season, and depending on if he's still playing at a pro bowl level, the 20% raise on the previous year's salary would probably still be worth it.

He's a lot more stuck than Cousins was. He either grins and bears it, or he pitches a complete fit. We'll see.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:51 PM   #1117
rocnrik
Playmaker

I still think he will fail drug test...and it was always about that.. we’ve been burned twice before!
Old 09-06-2019, 10:43 PM   #1118
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocnrik View Post
I still think he will fail drug test...and it was always about that.. we’ve been burned twice before!
If it was a drug test issue, then none of this would have been an issue. The league would have announced the suspension and no one would be offering anything.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2019, 08:18 AM   #1119
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Excellent point - and one which has not been brought up by any reporter.
That's probably my problem; I don't get the same kind of news you guys do so I'm going by what's been published. :|
I would agree that if he hasn't followed any process at all then this does sound like he's trying to get out of his contract/Washington.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:04 AM   #1120
5superbowls3wins
Impact Rookie

Let’s take bets that Washington’s number 1 pick next year will be a stud LT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2019, 10:05 AM   #1121
rocnrik
Playmaker

Quote:
If it was a drug test issue, then none of this would have been an issue. The league would have announced the suspension and no one would be offering anything.

Got it.. I thought that when he returns to team this year he would have to take physical and possible test... I don’t believe he has attended any official team event since last season .. not sure how it all works . I hope he returns and it all ends well.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:08 AM   #1122
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
That's probably my problem; I don't get the same kind of news you guys do so I'm going by what's been published. :|

I would agree that if he hasn't followed any process at all then this does sound like he's trying to get out of his contract/Washington.
The problem with this whole story is and always has been the why? By all accounts he and Bruce Allen were on good terms, he and Bruce Allen had worked together through other problems and he was the team leader of the team so what in this off season changed?

I have come to wonder if it is related to the CBA that is coming up. if he wants to make sure that his financial accounts are in order before the lockout or if he's trying to set a precedent for other players when they are encouraged to honor a strike or not cross a picket line.
Otherwise the whole medical staff issue just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Old 09-07-2019, 10:15 AM   #1123
5superbowls3wins
Impact Rookie

Trent Williams holding out for new deal

Quote:
The problem with this whole story is and always has been the why? By all accounts he and Bruce Allen were on good terms, he and Bruce Allen had worked together through other problems and he was the team leader of the team so what in this off season changed?

I have come to wonder if it is related to the CBA that is coming up. if he wants to make sure that his financial accounts are in order before the lockout or if he's trying to set a precedent for other players when they are encouraged to honor a strike or not cross a picket line.
Otherwise the whole medical staff issue just doesn't make a lot of sense.

And the timing of this. I’m guessing Trent’s issue was present long before draft day. He could have come out with it, and given the team time to adjust draft plans, and possibly make LT a priority earlier in FA.

Instead he waited until FA had dried up, the draft was over, and we were hours before training camp and team activities. The optics on this look like he purposely put the team in a bad spot.

If these statements are correct, it shows that he’s selfish and clearly doesn’t give a shit about his TEAM. All signs point to him not handling this with class.

If Washington has done ANYTHING wrong or questionable, you can bet the Players Association or NFL would have filed a case.

The draft will be full of LTs next year...

Old 09-07-2019, 10:42 AM   #1124
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocnrik View Post
Got it.. I thought that when he returns to team this year he would have to take physical and possible test... I don’t believe he has attended any official team event since last season .. not sure how it all works . I hope he returns and it all ends well.
I don't know the ins and outs of the league policy but I am fairly sure all the teams abide by the same standards so forcing a trade would not solve any issue that might be drug policy related. Also if it was to avoid a possible positive test result and he hasn't been able to clean himself up ny now he has more serious issues then anyone has reported.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:27 AM   #1125
Warthog
The Starter

Ppl in this thread are making good points. My question is this: is this really just about TW wanting to be on another team?

From the Redskins perspective is this just: if he won’t play for us he won’t play anywhere?

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Closed Thread