Non QB pick 3 5.88%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2024, 06:59 PM   #1111
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Re: 2024 Early Bird Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Can I ask a question of the more knowledgeable fans here - What are the causes that make picking a quarterback so much more of a crap shoot then most other positions. I mean I get that in there are some intangibles that you can't tell, but all these quarterbacks that go in the top 10 that are busts or at least not superstars Have been playing this game their whole life from the time they were eight or nine 10 through college there's lots of film there's lots of ways to investigate it . Why is it so hard to find the good one ?

Or what is it about the NFL that makes being a good one so much harder than college etc.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

https://www.abc27.com/sports/sports-...own-draft-qbs/
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-23-2024, 07:05 PM   #1112
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

I'm only drafting J.D. at 2 for the rest of my mock drafts. I want to will that into fruition.

2. Jayden Daniels QB LSU
36. Troy Franklin WR Oregon
40. Darius Robinson EDGE Missouri
67. Max Melton CB Rutgers
101. Payton Wilson LB NC State
103. Brandon Coleman OG TCU
138. Beaux Limmer OC Arkansas
181. Erick All TE Iowa
220. Nathan Thomas OT Louisiana
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 07:07 PM   #1113
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
...the pass concepts are a mess most of the time

Even throwing college O.C.'s under the bus. But he isn't wrong, everyone runs the same offense nowadays. It's boring unless it's your team.
Old 02-23-2024, 07:54 PM   #1114
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
I'm only drafting J.D. at 2 for the rest of my mock drafts. I want to will that into fruition.

2. Jayden Daniels QB LSU
36. Troy Franklin WR Oregon
40. Darius Robinson EDGE Missouri
67. Max Melton CB Rutgers
101. Payton Wilson LB NC State
103. Brandon Coleman OG TCU
138. Beaux Limmer OC Arkansas
181. Erick All TE Iowa
220. Nathan Thomas OT Louisiana
That could be a fine draft class!
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 09:17 AM   #1115
Darrell Green Fan
Special Teams

I will admit to a bias. These super mobile QBs have been around since Randall Cunningham, over the last decade we've seen a ton of them and some on good teams. But only one (Hurts) even made it to the Super Bowl.

As I watched the first quarter of the Ravens/Chiefs I told myself I have to get with the times and accept this type of QB as the future. An 8 yard run on 3rd and 6 is just as good as an 8 yard pass into tight coverage.

But then I see Lamar crap the bed in the playoffs. Again. And I'm right back where I've always been, preferring a pocket QB
Darrell Green Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 09:57 AM   #1116
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Green Fan View Post
I will admit to a bias. These super mobile QBs have been around since Randall Cunningham, over the last decade we've seen a ton of them and some on good teams. But only one (Hurts) even made it to the Super Bowl.

As I watched the first quarter of the Ravens/Chiefs I told myself I have to get with the times and accept this type of QB as the future. An 8 yard run on 3rd and 6 is just as good as an 8 yard pass into tight coverage.

But then I see Lamar crap the bed in the playoffs. Again. And I'm right back where I've always been, preferring a pocket QB
Not sure I agree with your assessment. There have been a few mobile QB's in the Super Bowl era that have taken or even won a Super bowl, not many I agree but a few.

Tarkington

Staubach

Young

Elway , all were at their time considerd running / moble QB's then there was a newer version...........

Kaepernick

Newton
maybe even.

R. Wilson
Old 02-25-2024, 04:13 PM   #1117
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Had a dream last night we drafted JD

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 04:31 PM   #1118
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Fantastic dream. I like your dedication to getting Daniels.
Old 02-25-2024, 04:34 PM   #1119
SCRedskinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Green Fan View Post

So I guess Patrick Mahomes is a "pocket" quarterback?

I think what we're seeing is a new "post Brady" model of an elite quarterback. One that can drop the dime, with touch when necessary, but is able to consistently make plays in AND out of the pocket. I think excellent mobility has come to be a expected trait of today's top tier quarterbacks. That's in addition to all the other qualities, mental and physical, you expect to see, of course.
SCRedskinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 05:33 PM   #1120
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 06:25 PM   #1121
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRedskinsFan View Post

I think what we're seeing is a new "post Brady" model of an elite quarterback. One that can drop the dime, with touch when necessary, but is able to consistently make plays in AND out of the pocket. I think excellent mobility has come to be a expected trait of today's top tier quarterbacks. That's in addition to all the other qualities, mental and physical, you expect to see, of course.
There's a difference between mobile and running QB's. A mobile QB can run adequately or even very well, when the situation demands. But they are still primarily pocket passers. They win primarily with air yards not ground yards. Running QB's are defendable. Just look at what KC did to Jackson as evidence.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 07:41 AM   #1122
Darrell Green Fan
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Not sure I agree with your assessment. There have been a few mobile QB's in the Super Bowl era that have taken or even won a Super bowl, not many I agree but a few.

Tarkington

Staubach

Young

Elway , all were at their time considerd running / moble QB's then there was a newer version...........

Kaepernick

Newton
maybe even.

R. Wilson
Thanks for the correction, I meant to go with win a SB but when I changed it to appearances I omitted Cam and Kap. Wilson should be on the list as well. I am not considering Elway, Young Staubach etc because they were pass first QBs who had the ability to run but didn't do it that often.

So we are still left with Wilson as the only super mobile QB who has won a title.

Last edited by Darrell Green Fan; 02-26-2024 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-26-2024, 07:57 AM   #1123
Darrell Green Fan
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRedskinsFan View Post

Yes. He does most of his damage from the pocket or creating off script. I don't consider him in the same group with Lamar, Kyler etc. who rely on their running more than Mahomes.
Old 02-26-2024, 08:12 AM   #1124
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

The best qb's watch so much film that they're rarely surprised by a coverage they see pre-snap. It's one thing to have the physical attributes that a Drake Maye or a Jayden Daniels has, what is going to determine their success is how bad they want it. If they want it bad enough they'll live religiously in the film room until they can identify 90% of what a defense is going to do. That's what this coaching staff has to figure out - which prospect is going to put in the work to be great. Tons of guys who had the athleticism to be great but never put in the work watching tape.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:09 AM   #1125
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
The best qb's watch so much film that they're rarely surprised by a coverage they see pre-snap. It's one thing to have the physical attributes that a Drake Maye or a Jayden Daniels has, what is going to determine their success is how bad they want it. If they want it bad enough they'll live religiously in the film room until they can identify 90% of what a defense is going to do. That's what this coaching staff has to figure out - which prospect is going to put in the work to be great. Tons of guys who had the athleticism to be great but never put in the work watching tape.
Your comment made me wonder if now that they get paid in college the ones that don't really want it as bad will be easier to identify. In other words how did a player react after his first big check. Maybe the transition to the NFL and really big paydays won't be quite as drastic.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote