Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Media Bias

Debating with the enemy

Old 02-19-2021, 02:17 AM   #1081
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Re: Media Bias

To prove we're better than Rush, we'll shit on him in death. Definitely no irony there. But I'm glad so many of you are out there living that perfect life. Please shoot me some pointers.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-19-2021, 06:22 AM   #1082
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
To prove we're better than Rush, we'll shit on him in death. Definitely no irony there. But I'm glad so many of you are out there living that perfect life. Please shoot me some pointers.
I'm gonna steal this analogy from Reddit because the latter's rebuttal kinda sums up my position better than I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by u/TheAdlerian
I'm a psychotherapist and have been one for 31 years and a lot of my career was spent in the prison system.

I worked with a serial killer in PA and he was one of the last people to be executed in that state. I didn't really do much with him because he was in a Plexiglas cell and in the fetal position on his bed, all of the time. He was in what's called a catatonic state meaning his body is frozen from the bizarre mental and physical things happening.

One day, officers came and took him away to another prison to be injected with drugs and killed.

I thought that was extremely gross as he was obviously a severely mentally ill person who never had much of a chance in life to begin with. He did murder women in a horrible way but it was all strange and stupid with no point to it.

All of that led to me leaving the prison system.

Meanwhile, many people thought him laying in his cell, which smelled like someone took a shit on the worst type of cheese, was funny/interesting and killing him was a good idea. I looked at it like the state murdered him and I was part of it.

The point is that if you hate "evil" people to the point where you enjoy seeing them suffer, are glad they're dead, you have become evil.

In popular culture, this is a HUGE message in Star Wars. If you want to kill evil people and hate them, you will turn to the dark side.

In Lord of the Rings, Frodo says to Gandalf, why not just kill Gollum? Gandalf replies that you never know the value of someone and you can't assume that their dying is a good thing. Of course, Gollum turns out to be the most important person.

We should always look for the good in "evil" people and also try to understand what they think they are doing and why what they did was good in their eyes. If not, you are just supporting the "us vs them" attitude that creates extreme thinking and evil behaviors.
Response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by u/BPC3
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the above post was probably inspired by a certain recent death which a lot of people are celebrating.

And I'd like to spend a moment to highlight some of the ways in which that may differ from this post.

The person in question did not spend his last days in a prison, in a catatonic state, or really in any significant suffering. The person in question was never incarcerated - in fact, he recently was awarded the highest government honor available to US citizens. He was a famous, wealthy, popular individual for his entire life. He legitimately helped shape the direction of the nation, in a way very few people throughout history have ever been able to.

And you know what?

He did that by being as hateful and nasty and dishonest as he possibly could. His words and actions hurt countless people, and he never saw any retribution or consequence for it, unless you want to call it a consequence that he spent a substantial amount of his career denying the link between smoking and lung cancer and eventually died of lung cancer.

So I flat-out reject this statement:

The point is that if you hate "evil" people to the point where you enjoy seeing them suffer, are glad they're dead, you have become evil.

I am not exactly glad that this person is dead. But I am extremely glad that they are no longer in a position where they can hurt anyone. And when it comes to the people he actively hurt, I'm not going to judge. I think it's a shame that what it took to stop him from being an evil piece of shit was death, but if that's what it took, well, good riddance, and frankly it'd be nice if it didn't take so long next time.

In popular culture, this is a HUGE message in Star Wars. If you want to kill evil people and hate them, you will turn to the dark side.

Counterpoint: jewish resistance fighers in World War II. Pretty sure most of them hated Hitler and wanted to kill him. Pretty sure this didn't make them evil people, or "turn to the dark side". It was just the best available option out of a lot of really shitty options.
Now you can call Rush an influential conservative who changed the game, because there's no doubt he was. But he also said a ton of hateful shit and built a career out of it. So yeah, no sympathy from me for him passing.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:48 AM   #1083
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I'm gonna steal this analogy from Reddit because the latter's rebuttal kinda sums up my position better than I can.

Response:

Now you can call Rush an influential conservative who changed the game, because there's no doubt he was. But he also said a ton of hateful shit and built a career out of it. So yeah, no sympathy from me for him passing.
No sympathy is a big difference between the vitriol so far. I think in death, the golden rule is a good rule. If you don't have anything nice to say, not saying anything at all is OK. Not talking about you or anyone specifically, just in general.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:51 AM   #1084
MTK
\m/

Interesting that some people think death absolves you from all criticism. Rush built an empire on being a shitty person and shitting on others at every turn. He dies and all of a sudden it's hands off, don't say anything bad about him? Yeah fuck that.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:05 AM   #1085
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Interesting that some people think death absolves you from all criticism. Rush built an empire on being a shitty person and shitting on others at every turn. He dies and all of a sudden it's hands off, don't say anything bad about him? Yeah fuck that.
Not like Rush is a major talking point here. Seems like people are using his death as a reason to shit on him.

Interesting, that shitting on someone who just died, isn't ironic. But I guess as long as you self-assign yourself as better than the person you're criticizing, it's OK.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:08 AM   #1086
MTK
\m/

The bar isn't that high to be a better person than Rush let's be honest
Old 02-19-2021, 09:10 AM   #1087
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
The bar isn't that high to be a better person than Rush let's be honest
We should all shoot for a higher standard way above the bar. And we all have our own sins. Judging people that just died isn't the way to go imo.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:26 AM   #1088
MTK
\m/

Seems like he's being judged in death the same as he was in life.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:35 AM   #1089
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Seems like he's being judged in death the same as he was in life.
I don't listen to talk radio for anything, so maybe I just haven't noticed. But I don't recall much if any conversations about Rush. Then he dies and out come the comments. It's a free country, so say whatever you guys want, I just think that shitting on someone right after they die is not a good look, if not outright hypocritical.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:57 AM   #1090
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
, I just think that shitting on someone right after they die is not a good look, if not outright hypocritical.
No , people are talking about him the same as when he was alive . You find this to be hypocritical of what exactly?
Old 02-19-2021, 11:02 AM   #1091
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
I don't listen to talk radio for anything, so maybe I just haven't noticed. But I don't recall much if any conversations about Rush. Then he dies and out come the comments. It's a free country, so say whatever you guys want, I just think that shitting on someone right after they die is not a good look, if not outright hypocritical.
Maybe you should find out what type of person it is you're defending.

https://people.com/politics/rush-lim...rsial-moments/

He began airing “Barack, the Magic Negro,” a racist parody song about then-Sen. Barack Obama’s popularity with many white voters, in 2007.
In John K. Wilson's book, The Most Dangerous Man in America: Rush Limbaugh's Assault on Reason, the host was quoted as saying this homophobic statement: "When a gay person turns his back on you, it is anything but an insult; it's an invitation."
In his "Undeniable Truths," written as part of an article for the Sacramento Union in 1988, Limbaugh wrote, "Feminism was established so as to allow unattractive women access to the mainstream of society."
In a later updated version, he wrote:
"The Earth's eco-system is not fragile."
"Women should not be allowed on juries where the accused is a stud."
"The Los Angeles riots were not caused by the Rodney King verdict. The Los Angeles riots were caused by rioters."
On The Rush Limbaugh Show in 2004, he said, "I think it's time to get rid of this whole National Basketball Association. Call it the TBA, the Thug Basketball Association, and stop calling them teams. Call 'em gangs."
As a young broadcaster in the 1970s, Limbaugh once told a Black caller: “Take that bone out of your nose and call me back,” according to Fair.
During The Rush Limbaugh Show in 2013, he said, "If any race of people should not have guilt about slavery, it's Caucasians. The white race has probably had fewer slaves and for a briefer period of time than any other in the history of the world."
During The Rush Limbaugh Show in 2017, regarding LGBTQ+ politicians being elected to office, he said, "I guarantee there'd be some people in the Republican establishment who will now think, yeah, we need to do this. We need to provide a home, we need to provide a comforting atmosphere for the tranny community and the gay community. But those people are voting Democrat anyway."
" 'Ching cha. Ching chang cho chow. Cha Chow. Ching Cho. Chi ba ba ba. Kwo kwa kwa kee. Cha ga ga. Ching chee chay. Ching zha bo ba. Chang cha. Chang cho chi che. Cha dee. Ooooh chee bada ba. Jee jee cho ba.' Nobody was translating, but that's the closest I can get," he said on his radio show while "translating" Chinese President Hu Jintao in 2011.
Limbaugh called Georgetown law student Sandra Fluke a “slut” and a “prostitute” after she publicly advocated for universal contraception coverage, NPR reported in 2012
Old 02-19-2021, 11:27 AM   #1092
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Maybe you should find out what type of person it is you're defending.

https://people.com/politics/rush-lim...rsial-moments/

He began airing “Barack, the Magic Negro,” a racist parody song about then-Sen. Barack Obama’s popularity with many white voters, in 2007.
In John K. Wilson's book, The Most Dangerous Man in America: Rush Limbaugh's Assault on Reason, the host was quoted as saying this homophobic statement: "When a gay person turns his back on you, it is anything but an insult; it's an invitation."
In his "Undeniable Truths," written as part of an article for the Sacramento Union in 1988, Limbaugh wrote, "Feminism was established so as to allow unattractive women access to the mainstream of society."
In a later updated version, he wrote:
"The Earth's eco-system is not fragile."
"Women should not be allowed on juries where the accused is a stud."
"The Los Angeles riots were not caused by the Rodney King verdict. The Los Angeles riots were caused by rioters."
On The Rush Limbaugh Show in 2004, he said, "I think it's time to get rid of this whole National Basketball Association. Call it the TBA, the Thug Basketball Association, and stop calling them teams. Call 'em gangs."
As a young broadcaster in the 1970s, Limbaugh once told a Black caller: “Take that bone out of your nose and call me back,” according to Fair.
During The Rush Limbaugh Show in 2013, he said, "If any race of people should not have guilt about slavery, it's Caucasians. The white race has probably had fewer slaves and for a briefer period of time than any other in the history of the world."
During The Rush Limbaugh Show in 2017, regarding LGBTQ+ politicians being elected to office, he said, "I guarantee there'd be some people in the Republican establishment who will now think, yeah, we need to do this. We need to provide a home, we need to provide a comforting atmosphere for the tranny community and the gay community. But those people are voting Democrat anyway."
" 'Ching cha. Ching chang cho chow. Cha Chow. Ching Cho. Chi ba ba ba. Kwo kwa kwa kee. Cha ga ga. Ching chee chay. Ching zha bo ba. Chang cha. Chang cho chi che. Cha dee. Ooooh chee bada ba. Jee jee cho ba.' Nobody was translating, but that's the closest I can get," he said on his radio show while "translating" Chinese President Hu Jintao in 2011.
Limbaugh called Georgetown law student Sandra Fluke a “slut” and a “prostitute” after she publicly advocated for universal contraception coverage, NPR reported in 2012
I'm not defending anyone. I have never listened to Rush. I didn't have any extra feeling one way or another when he died, any moreso than when any other person I didn't know personally or have any sort of connection to does. I just think that when someone dies, all the negative comments aren't needed. When we all die, we will have plenty of our own questions to answer, but I hope people don't immediately talk about all the bad things I did.
Old 02-19-2021, 11:38 AM   #1093
MTK
\m/

If it's a life worth celebrating, I'm all for it. Dying doesn't absolve him though. You reap what you sow. His legacy is what it is.
Old 02-19-2021, 11:39 AM   #1094
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
If it's a life worth celebrating, I'm all for it. Dying doesn't absolve him though. You reap what you sow. His legacy is what it is.
I won't lose any sleep over anyone's comments about him. Those were just my two cents.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:45 PM   #1095
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
I'm not defending anyone. I have never listened to Rush. I didn't have any extra feeling one way or another when he died, any moreso than when any other person I didn't know personally or have any sort of connection to does. I just think that when someone dies, all the negative comments aren't needed. When we all die, we will have plenty of our own questions to answer, but I hope people don't immediately talk about all the bad things I did.
Can only speak for myself but everytime he stepped up with one of his stupid takes, I saw plenty of coverage on it. Plenty of dems talking shit about him too.

Who could imagine a guy who got rich and famous off hot political takes would be so polarizing in death?