The Sam Howell Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-17-2023, 08:47 PM   #1051
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: The Sam Howell Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTTR View Post
That int pushed me off the Sam bandwagon. He had AG as his outlet alone on the sideline for positive yards and instead directed 17 into coverage. Really boneheaded decision.

This doesn’t mean we’ll necessarily have a better option available to us by draft or FA, but it does put the position in play (for me).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah and JB came in and had 2 TDS right away. Maybe Howell was only as good as EB could get him to be…

Advertisements
Old 12-17-2023, 08:47 PM   #1052
skinsfan0201
Special Teams

Does everyone remember how the Eagles played in Dallas last week? What about how Dallas played in Buffalo this week? Things change in a split second and consider the fact that Brissett has not had his brains beaten out by the defenses. Additionally, Sam is essentially a rookie. exhibit 1: Peyton Manning’s 1st few seasons.
skinsfan0201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 08:50 PM   #1053
skinsfan0201
Special Teams

Honestly, this discussion would not be happening if Sam was a 1st round draft pick in my opinion.
skinsfan0201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 09:09 PM   #1054
HTTR
Impact Rookie

I’m not bashing Sam, and I do believe that talented players can be developed over a few seasons. I’m just no longer sure we’ve found our long term solution at QB

Old 12-17-2023, 09:18 PM   #1055
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
I’m not bashing Sam, and I do believe that talented players can be developed over a few seasons. I’m just no longer sure we’ve found our long term solution at QB

That’s where I’m at. Before this game I was even saying let’s build around Sam still but today he was Bad… other than one or 2 throws he really struggled

Old 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM   #1056
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Benching was deserved. Sam wasn't really doing much and threw a terrible pick that sealed his fate today.

I really don't care to who starts the rest of the year. This team is just so bad but I would lean towards giving Jacoby a shot. Sam just hasn't looked all that good the last several weeks. It looks like a combination of him, EB and the line. All of them just not good enough.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 09:33 PM   #1057
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Also- something I noticed, the ball seemed to be coming out a bit faster once Jacoby got in there.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 09:46 PM   #1058
rocnrik
Playmaker

Sam will be on a short lease .. if he struggles I could see him being replaced by half
Time .. As far as I'm concerned everything is on the table come draft time .. I just hope the new GM doesn't screw this up .. we got one shot at this QB thing ..
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 04:39 AM   #1059
AnonEmouse
The Starter

For me too many people are ready to write Howell off already. He's demonstrated a lot this season behind a horrible OL and some beyond questionable play calling. And the D has meant more often than not we're chasing the game and he's trying to create something out of nothing. I'm not saying he is the future, but given the circumstances its too soon to give up.

Quite frankly looking at the other rookie starters out there, he's played much better than some and on a par with most. I don't think any of those teams are going to be cutting their year 1 QB's any time soon.

Right now I think there's a perfect storm of circumstances; lousy coaching staff, poor player morale (they look like they've given up) and he's been beaten up all year. He's running out of steam. You can see the exasperation in his face when it goes wrong.

If a new staff comes in and drafts a 'top talent' so be it, but I think it would be a mistake to give up on him so soon especially given all the holes in this roster.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 07:15 AM   #1060
HTTR
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
If a new staff comes in and drafts a 'top talent' so be it, but I think it would be a mistake to give up on him so soon especially given all the holes in this roster.
Does drafting a QB in April mean that the new regime would be giving up on Howell?

Old 12-18-2023, 07:20 AM   #1061
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Does drafting a QB in April mean that the new regime would be giving up on Howell?

why give him up on him he was a 5th round pic still on a rookie contract

let him challenge the draft pic at worst he is a backup at best for Sam he beats out the draft pic or even maybe trade him

we don't have to do anything with Sam he is ours for the foreseeable future

i don't know why a select few of you are so enamored with Sam; if say C. Williams comes here and lights the place on fire, are you still going be sad Sam isn't starting

I said it before but i swear some of you are Sam's dad
Old 12-18-2023, 07:47 AM   #1062
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:

Agree, there isn’t a reason not draft a QB nor is there reason not to develop Sam.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 08:15 AM   #1063
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Agree, there isn’t a reason not draft a QB nor is there reason not to develop Sam.

So do both until you hit the QB lottery

The SH first season is in the books for the most part, I say we got enough there to work with but not enough to say we are set at QB1
Old 12-18-2023, 08:19 AM   #1064
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Once again, I'm going to pin a big part of the QB problem on the coaches, especially RR who couldn't even purchase a clue on how to handle an NFL team. I ask you this: Why even bring in a solid backup QB (Brissett) if you're not going to use him to help you win? I'm talking about the old-time role of an experienced backup as a mentor AND a "relief pitcher" for a developing young QB.

You start the young QB each game and if he falters, then you bring in the old pro with enough time left to salvage the win. Then next week, you start the developing young QB again. Two things at once. Just make sure that both QB's understand that's the way it's going to be from the beginning.

As for drafting a QB, I say just follow your draft board and any time you see a promising young QB whether it is in a mid or late round, draft him. Drafting RGIII and Kirk in the same year worked out fine.

I wouldn't mind if the team drafted two QB's every year if they are not yet sure they have already found their franchise QB. I'd say that's where we are right now. So, when it's time for the Commanders to pick in the first round of the 2024 draft if their draft board says the best available player is a QB, then they should pick him. QB is by far the most important position in football.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 08:24 AM   #1065
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post

I said it before but i swear some of you are Sam's dad
jamf is Sam's estranged father.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote