Solid Snake Hates: Walmart

Parking Lot

Old 04-17-2010, 01:45 AM   #91
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Re: Solid Snake Hates: Walmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
Yeah guys you never hear about target like you do WalMart. Does anybody know what they pay their associates?? I'm curious to if it's as much as Walmart workers make? or More?
People freaked out about Wal-Mart paying low wages, not offering benefits to workers (typically by keeping their hours low enough that they're not full-time associates), etc... like it was some outrageous thing.

Every major retailer that I know about/have worked for does the same thing. I've worked plenty of retail and know many others, what Wal-Mart does is exactly what everyone in retail does, at least in major chains. Does anyone think that Target pays well? Offers benefits to part-timers? Pretty much wherever you shop it's the same as far as that goes. Many, even if you're working full-time hours, keep you listed as a part-time associate. I don't know how long this would have to go on for the labor board to become interested in your case, but it happens plenty.

Hell even when I did management with VA's Liquor stores part-timers didn't have benefits options.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-17-2010, 01:53 AM   #92
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Yeah guys you never hear about target like you do WalMart. Does anybody know what they pay their associates?? I'm curious to if it's as much as Walmart workers make? or More?
In most areas the cashiers get minimum wage, which federally is 7.25/hr as of last July. Floor associates get paid around 7.50/hr. They can start you a bit higher depending on location and other factors (experience, mostly if you're starting as an associate in order to be there when a team leader position opens up.. state min wage above federal, etc). They may have done a slight bump after the min wage increase last year, prob around the 4pct mark if so.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #93
mlmpetert
Playmaker

This is so awesome

Walmart TV Commercial, 'Tapia Brothers Produce' - YouTube
Old 07-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #94
firstdown
Living Legend

I had to watch a comercial to watch a comercial.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #95
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Old 07-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #96
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I'm not a fan of Wal-Mart but I'm really starting to hate theses types of threads more lol

Seems that every small town always resists when WM is coming to town, but once they come everyone shops there and love the prices. All of a sudden the anti-WM sentiment goes out the window pretty quick.
Agreed, it's become trendy to publicly and loudly "hate" Walmart.

I admit, because of it's low prices it does attract some questionable, sometimes scary customer base but I have no issues with saving money. A good example, I was buying rubber mulch this spring and both Lowe's and Home Depot did not carry it in red. Guess where I found it? Yep, Walmart and it was $6 a bag compared to the $10-11 a bag at Lowe's if they still carried it in my color.

You people go take your stands against "Big Corporate", or maybe you're just uncomfortable shopping in a "diverse" crowd...I'll go to Walmart and save my family some major money for the EXACT SAME items you're paying double for elsewhere.

Yeah, they can have cashiers who don't care about their job but you get that at high-end stores too, it's a societal laziness, not a Walmart-specific issue.

Truth is, Walmart is one of the largest employers in the nation and they do a ton of good in the lives of people who need jobs, who need to watch their money carefully and overall in communities. It's always sad to see the locally-owned small hometown stores close after serving the community for 5 years, but when 200 people can get a job over 15 people who are likely related to the owner, you can't argue with the economic benefits.

I'll shop anywhere that gives me what I need for the best price. I'm not an elitist who turns his nose up at Walmart because of the people who shop or work there. Life is too short to walk around with that kind of judgmental hatred for people and places because you don't want to see or be seen at a certain place with certain people. If it was unsafe and I'd be risking my life to save a buck, I wouldn't go.

Just go early in the morning before work...no crowds at all and you're in and out with everything you need in one stop.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #97
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
People freaked out about Wal-Mart paying low wages, not offering benefits to workers (typically by keeping their hours low enough that they're not full-time associates), etc... like it was some outrageous thing.

Every major retailer that I know about/have worked for does the same thing. I've worked plenty of retail and know many others, what Wal-Mart does is exactly what everyone in retail does, at least in major chains. Does anyone think that Target pays well? Offers benefits to part-timers? Pretty much wherever you shop it's the same as far as that goes. Many, even if you're working full-time hours, keep you listed as a part-time associate. I don't know how long this would have to go on for the labor board to become interested in your case, but it happens plenty.

Hell even when I did management with VA's Liquor stores part-timers didn't have benefits options.
Exactly.

Plus, with the new Healthcare laws, MOST business of any level are being forced to cut people down to part-time so they're not penalized by the IRS. You can't blame Walmart or any business for trying to survive in the face of tyrannical regulations being forced upon them like this. It's either fire half the work force and let service suffer or do what you can to afford as many employees as possible. Healthcare is not a right. You can't expect it from a retail employer. If you want a job with benefits, get some more experience and education. Anyone can make it happen if they're motivated to. That's the problem though, why work hard when the Government will hand you what you need with no questions asked or sacrifice on your part?
Old 07-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #98
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Exactly.

Plus, with the new Healthcare laws, MOST business of any level are being forced to cut people down to part-time so they're not penalized by the IRS. You can't blame Walmart or any business for trying to survive in the face of tyrannical regulations being forced upon them like this. It's either fire half the work force and let service suffer or do what you can to afford as many employees as possible. Healthcare is not a right. You can't expect it from a retail employer. If you want a job with benefits, get some more experience and education. Anyone can make it happen if they're motivated to. That's the problem though, why work hard when the Government will hand you what you need with no questions asked or sacrifice on your part?

Costco destroys your logic. I suggest you research the company, their CEO and his stances on pay and doing what's right.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #99
MTK
\m/

Tyranny

Old 07-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #100
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Costco destroys your logic. I suggest you research the company, their CEO and his stances on pay and doing what's right.
Im not a fan of Costco, but their CEO treats his employees great. You gotta admire him for that.

Reading through this thread is funny. Trample and Tryful, where are these dudes?

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #101
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Im not a fan of Costco, but their CEO treats his employees great. You gotta admire him for that.

Reading through this thread is funny. Trample and Tryful, where are these dudes?
probably posting on tinfoilhats.com
Old 07-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #102
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
This ^^^^ Go watch the documentary "Wal-Mart: The high cost of low price". Excellent made film and it was so good that Wal-Mart tried like hell to keep it from getting released to the general public. I also had to read Sam Wal-Mart's book when i was in college, and from the get go the guy's whole operation was about coming in and knocking off the mom and pop stores, maximum profit while spending as little as possible. The book even goes into detail at one point about their stance on why they pay so low. The morale of the story is that they feel a low paying Wal-Mart job is better than no job at all, which i think most people don't agree with.

I'm happy to see my old thread alive again. By the way, Stephens City did end up getting their Wal-Mart, kinda sad because they tried hard to not have it go in....
Old 07-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #103
Gary84Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
In most areas the cashiers get minimum wage, which federally is 7.25/hr as of last July. Floor associates get paid around 7.50/hr. They can start you a bit higher depending on location and other factors (experience, mostly if you're starting as an associate in order to be there when a team leader position opens up.. state min wage above federal, etc). They may have done a slight bump after the min wage increase last year, prob around the 4pct mark if so.
where forth art thou
Gary84Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #104
SirLK26
The Starter

Quote:
This ^^^^ Go watch the documentary "Wal-Mart: The high cost of low price". Excellent made film and it was so good that Wal-Mart tried like hell to keep it from getting released to the general public. I also had to read Sam Wal-Mart's book when i was in college, and from the get go the guy's whole operation was about coming in and knocking off the mom and pop stores, maximum profit while spending as little as possible. The book even goes into detail at one point about their stance on why they pay so low. The morale of the story is that they feel a low paying Wal-Mart job is better than no job at all, which i think most people don't agree with.

I'm happy to see my old thread alive again. By the way, Stephens City did end up getting their Wal-Mart, kinda sad because they tried hard to not have it go in....
And I'm sure you don't shop there. By the way, did it close all the mom and pop stores like you were so worried about?
SirLK26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #105
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLK26 View Post
And I'm sure you don't shop there. By the way, did it close all the mom and pop stores like you were so worried about?
Actually the truth is i've never set foot in that one. There is another one closer to my work that i sometimes frequent.

To be honest about Stephens City, the closest store to the Wal-Mart was the 7-11 at double tollgate, and there were a few Spanish grocery stores, so i don't know how much business was affected.

I was worried about where my family is from : Atmore Alabama, which is a VERY rural town that was dependent on local farming and mom and pop businesses. To date, they have not gotten one, but that's largely to do with a deep depression the area is in now, and not even Wal-Mart and their happy faced crap could cure it.