Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Board Management > Thread Hell

A Signing Already?!

Thread Hell

Old 01-05-2007, 09:43 AM   #91
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Re: A Signing Already?!

I just can't get over how this is getting people so up in arms. I also can't believe this thread has went 6 pages. Teams sign practice squad people all the time. It doesn't mean the guy even will make the team by the end of training camp next season. I guess it is the sad reality that during the Redskins' off season, we have to find something to complain about, otherwise, we might be....gulp....willing to be patient and see what happens next season. Lord knows we can't have none of that!

Advertisements
Old 01-05-2007, 10:08 AM   #92
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Page 7 (but I am betting the madness stops here).
Old 01-05-2007, 10:19 AM   #93
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Page 7 (but I am betting the madness stops here).
I'm all for keeping it going. This is a critical move that will determine the future of not only the Redskins but all of mankind, we must continue to discuss.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:20 AM   #94
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

The Skins went international to find out the answer to #3 and his favorite pie.

I'm betting it's maple syrup or moose.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:37 AM   #95
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulskinsfan View Post
Nahh Joey, you're not hypocritical....stating that CFL players are all CLEARLY inferior, then defending a move to sign a CFL player, who didn't even make the freakin Canadian all pro team, to a 3 year contract while wasting scouting resources and time, nope, nothin hypocritical about that, you are so CLEARLY RIGHT!!!
Paulie, where did JoeRedskin say that CFL players are all clearly inferior? I haven't seen it (you can just PM it to me)?
Old 01-05-2007, 11:03 AM   #96
JoeRedskin

Here is the quote he is talking about - it's from a thread about a year ago in which someone came on board to use us as a science project by claiming that a CFL all-star team could beat an NFL team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin
I used to watch the CFL back when they had a team in Baltimore. Maybe times have changed, but I could tell the talent difference easily. The CFL'ers were a clearly a beat or two slower. The window's of opportunity were larger in the CFL: QB's had more margin for error, the holes were slightly bigger for RB's, etc. The speed and power of the NFL players was just so clearly a cut above the CFL guys.
As I said earlier, I stand by this statement - as a general comment about the level of competition between NFL players and CFL players. It was a general statement, made a year ago and taken out of context. I haven't scoured that particular thread, but I bet somewhere in it I acknowledged that some CFL players can make the leap and be solid NFL'ers.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:05 AM   #97
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Here is the quote he is talking about - it's from a thread about a year ago in which someone came on board to use us as a science project by claiming that a CFL all-star team could beat an NFL team.

As I said earlier, I stand by this statement - as a general comment about the level of competition between NFL players and CFL players. It was a general statement, made a year ago and taken out of context. I haven't scoured that particular thread, but I bet somewhere in it I acknowledged that some CFL players can make the leap and be solid NFL'ers.
Yeah that's the same statement I saw. I'm looking for the one where you unilaterally declared every single CFL player inferior with none ever having any shot whatsoever of making it in the NFL.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:14 AM   #98
paulskinsfan

"I used to watch the CFL back when they had a team in Baltimore. Maybe times have changed, but I could tell the talent difference easily. The CFL'ers were a clearly a beat or two slower. The window's of opportunity were larger in the CFL: QB's had more margin for error, the holes were slightly bigger for RB's, etc. The speed and power of the NFL players was just so clearly a cut above the CFL guys."
Old 01-05-2007, 11:18 AM   #99
JoeRedskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS View Post
Yeah that's the same statement I saw. I'm looking for the one where you unilaterally declared every single CFL player inferior with none ever having any shot whatsoever of making it in the NFL.
Well, aren't they?? What NFL team would spend any time whatsoever even watching the CFL when it is so ab-so-f'ing-clear that everyone of their players is just a little-girly man that pees in his pants when confronted by the big bad boys of an NFL practice squad. If some agent put together a highlight film of a starting DE playing for a championship CFL team and sent it to an NFL team he knew was in need of DE/LB help - I bet that team would just trash it without even opening it up.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:24 AM   #100
JoeRedskin

Quote:
(Quoting me)
"I used to watch the CFL back when they had a team in Baltimore. Maybe times have changed, but I could tell the talent difference easily. The CFL'ers were a clearly a beat or two slower. The window's of opportunity were larger in the CFL: QB's had more margin for error, the holes were slightly bigger for RB's, etc. The speed and power of the NFL players was just so clearly a cut above the CFL guys."
Did you read my post later in the same thread where I agreed with Canuck that, under certain specific conditions, that a top CFL team could beat a team of NFL all-stars? Wouldn't this seem to indicate that, perhaps:
1) I recognized that, in general, the CFL may have some talent that can be competitive with good NFL players; and

2) following from this, some CFL talent may, in fact, be of an NFL quality.

Wow - logical thought and contextual analysis, you should try it sometime.

P.S.: Page 8, here we come.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:27 AM   #101
paulskinsfan

Quote:
Well, aren't they?? What NFL team would spend any time whatsoever even watching the CFL when it is so ab-so-f'ing-clear that everyone of their players is just a little-girly man that pees in his pants when confronted by the big bad boys of an NFL practice squad. If some agent put together a highlight film of a starting DE playing for a championship CFL team and sent it to an NFL team he knew was in need of DE/LB help - I bet that team would just trash it without even opening it up.

Man, its truly pathetic when you won't concede your inconsistencies. You stated that it was clear, IN YOUR OWN OPINION, that CFLers were a step or two slower and the talent level was inferior. Then you bash me for bashing on the FO for siging a CFLer to a 3 year deal, a CFLer who wasn't even a pro bowler in freakin Canada. Again, why is the FO wasting time scouting players in Canada, where, according to your own opinion the players are not as talented, when the draft and free agency in the NFL is coming? Im done with the thread, you can't argue with someone who won't concede points or admit when he is wrong.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:43 AM   #102
JoeRedskin

Quote:
Man, its truly pathetic when you won't concede your inconsistencies. You stated that it was clear, IN YOUR OWN OPINION, that CFLers were a step or two slower and the talent level was inferior. Then you bash me for bashing on the FO for siging a CFLer to a 3 year deal, a CFLer who wasn't even a pro bowler in freakin Canada. Again, why is the FO wasting time scouting players in Canada, where, according to your own opinion the players are not as talented, when the draft and free agency in the NFL is coming? Im done with the thread, you can't argue with someone who won't concede points or admit when he is wrong.
I will continue to bash you for quoting me out of context and asserting that a general statement made on a separate topic is relevant to a specific player in a completely separate thread.

IF you are asserting that it is a waste of time to be scouting the CFL - perhaps. Again, it depends on what amount of resources are being devoted to this. The draft is four months away and free agency three. As I facetiously stated earlier, maybe the guys agent put together something and sent it to the Skins, they liked it enough to do a little background and to sign him.

I am not sure what point I am supposed to be conceding. I have acknowledged, quoted and affirmed my earlier statement. Can you concede that? Can you concede that it was a general statement? Can you concede that maybe it was not made with the intent to be applicable in a specific player by player analysis?

Can you admit that you criticized the FO for expending too many resources on scouting CFL players without any knowledge as to the actual amount of resources spent on this move? or even what the norm would be for any other NFL team?

Sorry - it is you whose argument (this is a waste of resources at this time) is baseless and inconsistent.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:50 AM   #103
MTK
\m/

All I can say is wow.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:54 AM   #104
paulskinsfan

Quote:
I will continue to bash you for quoting me out of context and asserting that a general statement made on a separate topic is relevant to a specific player in a completely separate thread.

IF you are asserting that it is a waste of time to be scouting the CFL - perhaps. Again, it depends on what amount of resources are being devoted to this. The draft is four months away and free agency three. As I facetiously stated earlier, maybe the guys agent put together something and sent it to the Skins, they liked it enough to do a little background and to sign him.

I am not sure what point I am supposed to be conceding. I have acknowledged, quoted and affirmed my earlier statement. Can you concede that? Can you concede that it was a general statement? Can you concede that maybe it was not made with the intent to be applicable in a specific player by player analysis?

Can you admit that you criticized the FO for expending too many resources on scouting CFL players without any knowledge as to the actual amount of resources spent on this move? or even what the norm would be for any other NFL team?

Sorry - it is you whose argument (this is a waste of resources at this time) is baseless and inconsistent.

Sure Joey, I'll concede that I don't know how much time and resources the FO used before siging this loser to a 3 year deal. Hell, with our FO they probably just liked how his name sounded. Like I said, Im done with the thread. You claim CFLers have less talent, then you defend the signing of a CFLer who isn't even by that league's standards a pro bowler. Our FO needs to go scout players in Mexico now, cause hey, you never know, there probably is a player in a million there too. Hell, under your argument we should scout the world for that diamond in the rough despite the fact that there are hundreds of potential pro players coming out of college and available in a few months and our FO has a history of not finding a decent one after round 3. You're sad and pathetic, so whatever you want to argue or jump up and down about is fine, Im not devoting anymore time to this.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:57 AM   #105
JoeRedskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
All I can say is wow.
LOL - as I said earlier, right now I am just poking him with a stick. Quite fun actually. (BTW Pauly - you're argument is still premised on a uninformed assumption and you refuse to concede this point).