Stanley Caps

Other Sports

Old 06-05-2018, 09:00 AM   #1
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Stanley Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Son -inlaw a Marine down at Camp Lejeune in NC is a big Caps fan his B day is on 6/12 and I just sent him a Caps Jersey(RED home)
that's awesome.

Mooby, whats been the difference the last 2 series? Their play has kicked up a notch noticeably.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:41 PM   #2
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Caps absolutely crushed it last night. The scoring floodgates were open. Boys got a bit testy at the end. Thought we were going to see some straight up fisticuffs going on.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:02 PM   #3
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Let’s go caps!
Old 06-07-2018, 09:01 PM   #4
kct1975
The Starter

And I Absolutely Agree!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2018, 12:17 AM   #5
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Finally. A championship back in DC. Great job Caps. An incredible job coming back from that 3-2 deficit starting the 3rd.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:00 AM   #6
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Congratulations to all you dirty caps fans. Lol. I wish it was the Skins but enjoy.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:20 AM   #7
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Congratulations to the Caps and ALL their Fans!!!!!
Old 06-08-2018, 06:23 AM   #8
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Title town...finally the curse is broken
Old 06-08-2018, 03:58 PM   #9
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Title town...finally the curse is broken
Sign of the Apocalypse.......Caps win the cup, Eagles win the super bowl and..................trump is president! Tell me this isn't one fucked up time in history?
Old 06-10-2018, 07:39 AM   #10
Bishop Hammer
Special Teams

The Caps run this year was short of magical. If they win another Stanley Cup DC/MD may very well become a hockey town.
he's already in me
I wanna be adored
I wanna be adored

Stone Roses
"I wanna be adored"
Bishop Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:53 AM   #11
kct1975
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Gahhhhhhhd what a fucking crazy time to live in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I keep pinching myself, can't believe it actually happened.

So fucking happy for this team, I know it's a cliche but they they fought hard and never gave up. Old teams would've lost after being down 3-2 going into the third.

It's just been a whirlwind since Thursday, where to start. I watched the game with some friends out at the National Harbor, they had a watch party out there with a couple thousand people but it was nowhere near as big as the one at the Cap Center.

But I screwed up bigly (thanks Trump) by asking a close personal friend of mine for advice when I should've considered he's my actual boss first. Basically, I am temp acting manager (title only not respect lol) of the parts dpt. at one of our shops. The guy who is the manager is actually a close friend of mine of the last 16 years, and he's on medical leave with a back injury for the next two weeks. If I call out there's nobody to fill in for me as we have several people on vacation so staffing is tight.

Anyways, I was talking to my boss/friend Tuesday morning and I asked what he thought if his boss (manager of all the managers) would be ok with me calling out Friday morning so I could celebrate proper. He implied I am a complete idiot and total dumbfuck to even consider doing that over a game (I thought he'd understand as a diehard Nats fan who would buy an autographed turd from Harper if it was available). So I knew if I called out I'd get an asschewing at a minimum and they'd blackball me for OT/etc. at a maximum).

So we went out to the watch party at the National Harbor, had a few drinks but nothing noteworthy, celebrated with all the other fans and I got home at 1:30 because I have to be up every day at 3:30 for work. We celebrated last night proper but it wasn't exactly the same because the moment had already passed.

Also I want desperately to go to the parade but since my shift is from 5:30 to 2 pm on Tuesday it's looking like a real no-go since nobody can cover for me.

Anyways enough woe-is-me, they still fucking won the fucking Stanley Cup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the main differences this year I felt was the weight of expectations being lifted. Nobody expected them to advance past the Pens, or do anything of note (even I had my expectations lowered as the playoffs started because they weren't anything great in the regular season).

Biggest difference besides nonexistant weight of expectations? Everybody bought in. Ovi has always been a scorer, even in the playoffs. But when players see your team captain hustling back on defense, blocking shots, backchecking, making every shift count, even while still being the offensive scoring stud you are, well it trickles down.

I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention 2nd-through 4th line scoring. In order to win your bottom 3 lines have to put up points, which they didn't do in previous years but they did in spades this year. I believe we had 4 players with 20+ points, (Ovi, Kuzy, Backy, and Oshie? I think) but other notables include Eller, g.d. clutch-AF Devonte Smith-Pelly (a gritty 4th liner who matched his 7 regular season goals with 7 goals this postseason, majority of which were game-tying or game-winning). Carlson had a magnificent postseason too, leading all defensemen in points, plus between him, Nisky, Orly, and underrated trade-deadline pickup Michal Kempny we had two really good d-pairings. Even Brooks Orpik (who has been very underwhelming for the last two seasons) had a good postseason on the 3rd d-pairing.

Combine that with Holtby's great-to-occasionally spectacular postseason (go watch The Save if you haven't, it's the highlight of the postseason) and you have the recipe for success. There was never a moment where the pressure got to them, as Zorn liked to say they stayed medium. Every series had a point where they were down, whether it was 0-2 to the Blue Jackets, 0-1 to the Pens, 3-2 to the Lightning, or 0-1 to the Golden Knights. They never panicked or lost focus, or let the hype/pressure get to them. They knew if everybody bought in, which they did, that they were going to be tough to beat. They played an excellent two way game with a focus on defense, blocking shots, backchecking, and taking advantage of timely opportunities to get odd-man advantages, and more often than not they scored on those 2-on-1's or 3-on-2's.

Of course I gotta mention the checking too, whether it was backchecking or forechecking when you consistently hit them every game over the course of a series it wears down the other team. And other than a couple questionable hits from Wilson (1 of which he was suspended for) they did a good job keeping them legal. And there was a lot of questionable calls too by the Refs but they did a great job of not letting them take the focus off the gameplan.

Idk if I missed anything but fuck it, DC is a championship city again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

World champs! Stanley Cup champions!!!!!!!!!!! I legit believe the Stanley Cup is the hardest trophy to achieve because it's such a physical game, at the end of a long regular season with 82 games, and you still gotta win 16 more games. There's no bye week for the top couple teams, even the 1 seed has to play the equivalent of the wild card round, and it's not like baseball with the best of 5, every series is the best of 7.

So proud of DC and our boys for bringing the Cup home. So happy for Ovi, and Backy, and Beagle (who I didn't mention but is our best face off guy and a great role player who doesn't get a ton of recognition but is a key role player on the squad) and Holtby, who have been with this team for so long, and seen so many downs, that it's made the wait totally worth it. Stanley Cup champions! Let's Go Caps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
ThTs awesome mooby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop Hammer View Post
The Caps run this year was short of magical. If they win another Stanley Cup DC/MD may very well become a hockey town.
We Got The Cup!

Statanley Caps!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2018, 08:31 AM   #12
skinsfan69
Living Legend

If you're DC then how could you not get into this Caps run? Simply amazing. They were on a mission and it's what happens in sports. They got that chemistry thing going (like the fucking Eagles) and were destined. And to see Oshie start breaking down talking about his dad after the game, and seeing the emotion on Ovie's face, just great stuff...
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:25 AM   #13
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Happy for DC and #8. Wish the skins were next
Old 06-08-2018, 09:53 AM   #14
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Mooby bac level probably hovering around.15 the morning after
Old 06-08-2018, 10:19 AM   #15
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

My b-hole was so puckered the last two minutes, I could have made diamonds.

Mooby, did you get to get out in the festivities?