Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-14-2023, 10:04 PM   #1
nonniey
The Starter

Re: The Sam Howell Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
Howell QB1? FU Rivera.
Heinicke had to tell you to start him in a garbage time game now he is your QB1? Dumb ass mother fucker.

New owner is cleaning house. New OC has no shot of staying on.
Aren't you the one that wants to draft a QB every single year until they get it right? What's the point if they are not willing to find out if the guy they drafted is the right guy?
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 12:51 AM   #2
rocnrik
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniey View Post
Aren't you the one that wants to draft a QB every single year until they get it right? What's the point if they are not willing to find out if the guy they drafted is the right guy?
Great point !!
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 01:38 AM   #3
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Yes!
I want to have the best options available at QB and hopefully someone steps up in camp.

Step one is winning the job. Let the young QB actually earn the start then you see what they can do during the season.

Howell hasn’t earned the starting job. He backed into it via a wasted season and the two guys ahead of him shitting the bed. Every qb in the league should have a similar skill set to Howell. You aren’t seeing anything extraordinary from him. Unfortunately we had to watch noodle arm throw for half the season so Howell loooks like John Elway.

How about draft a guy or two and let the 3 of them battle it out?
I don’t give a fuck about their egos or feelings. The one the plays the best in camp starts.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 08:29 AM   #4
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
I have always believed that you draft QB's every year or just about every year. It's the most important position on your team and it is a main reason why this organization never goes anywhere.

Even if you have an established stater you still should draft a QB in the mid or later rounds.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 07:11 PM   #5
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Ok now we are daydreaming that the new OC will eventually be the HC and SH is going be Super Bowl MVP

Good grief
Old 01-14-2023, 07:15 PM   #6
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Ok now we are daydreaming that the new OC will eventually be the HC and SH is going be Super Bowl MVP

Good grief
Nobody is talking about SB MVP, just saying the possibility of the offense being successful enough for the OC to be considered as a HC candidates exists, this notion that it'll be an automatic house cleaning no matter the situation is a stretch IMO.

I'm not even talking about probability, but the possibility existing may make this position more attractive than we think. Both "automatic house cleaning" and "nobody will want this OC job" are overstatements.
Old 01-15-2023, 08:33 AM   #7
skinsfan69
Living Legend

As far as Howell goes he is really in a tough spot. He doesn't even know who his OC is going to be. And that guy may be here for only a year. The head coach is probably going to run option plays and get the QB killed like he did Cam Newton. Who on this staff has a history of developing QB's?

Washington is the graveyard for QB's.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 01:21 PM   #8
HTTR
Impact Rookie

There are too many moving parts — owner, HC, OC, QB, 2023 draft — to map out the single best way forward, other than to say that the ideal would be to start at the top and work your way down. But that’s not going to happen by April.

So RR, for better or worse, has to field a team, hire on OC, and make up a draft board. Parts of that will be undone by subsequent ownership moves. And we will stay in purgatory during that time with 7-9 wins.

So in the meantime why not try to answer one of few questions that we can answer — Is Sam Howell someone who can develop into QB1 or QB2?

SH was a smart pick for those of us who feel you should always draft a QB in a value-appropriate round. But don’t forget the next part of that axiom: “. . . . because he might turn out to be a keeper.” This is the right time to try to answer that question.

It’s not about “crowning” anyone. It’s about the context of where we are as an organization in 2023.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2023, 03:46 PM   #9
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTTR View Post
There are too many moving parts — owner, HC, OC, QB, 2023 draft — to map out the single best way forward, other than to say that the ideal would be to start at the top and work your way down. But that’s not going to happen by April.

So RR, for better or worse, has to field a team, hire on OC, and make up a draft board. Parts of that will be undone by subsequent ownership moves. And we will stay in purgatory during that time with 7-9 wins.

So in the meantime why not try to answer one of few questions that we can answer — Is Sam Howell someone who can develop into QB1 or QB2?

SH was a smart pick for those of us who feel you should always draft a QB in a value-appropriate round. But don’t forget the next part of that axiom: “. . . . because he might turn out to be a keeper.” This is the right time to try to answer that question.

It’s not about “crowning” anyone. It’s about the context of where we are as an organization in 2023.

Good post.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 08:03 PM   #10
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTTR View Post

Solid way to put it.
We gotta accept 2023 is a weird transition year, I don't want any big splash this off-season. We're probably not going anywhere next year, why would you want to spend big on a pretty much meaningless season.
Keep building a solid roster, and let the next guys take over with as many assets as possible.

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2023, 08:41 PM   #11
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Solid way to put it.
We gotta accept 2023 is a weird transition year, I don't want any big splash this off-season. We're probably not going anywhere next year, why would you want to spend big on a pretty much meaningless season.
Keep building a solid roster, and let the next guys take over with as many assets as possible.

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk
Well, you need to sign Payne, Curl, Holcomb and others, they better or they are going nowhere. In my opinion the only FA's that need to be signed are these teams FA's. Draft 3 OL, a CB, LB, QB, DL, K and we are set.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 09:16 PM   #12
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Well, you need to sign Payne, Curl, Holcomb and others, they better or they are going nowhere. In my opinion the only FA's that need to be signed are these teams FA's. Draft 3 OL, a CB, LB, QB, DL, K and we are set.
That’s be great if they could do this. I might switch the DL to another CB
Old 01-16-2023, 06:01 PM   #13
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
No for sure, like it's been said by others, Ron has a job and he's going to do it, and like I said I want them to keep them building the roster the right way. Just don't want them to spend huge $ or trade big assets, ie for a big name QB.
I also hope they find at least one OL in FA, not sure you can hope to find all your needs in the draft, don't want to put yourself in a position where you'd be tempted to reach.
Old 01-15-2023, 07:53 PM   #14
rocnrik
Playmaker

Yep .. makes sense to me ! Ron is only staying as coach because of sale .. he is lame duck coach and it would be a big mistake to bring in some aging vet with a huge contract with all the uncertainties.. go with Howell for now!
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 02:27 PM   #15
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocnrik View Post
Yep .. makes sense to me ! Ron is only staying as coach because of sale .. he is lame duck coach and it would be a big mistake to bring in some aging vet with a huge contract with all the uncertainties.. go with Howell for now!
If he is a lame duck I am not sure he cares what the next coaching staff has to deal with in regards to FA contracts.