Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

The Workplace

Parking Lot

Old 07-24-2010, 02:18 AM   #91
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Re: The Workplace

see I don't even get that whole getting fired and collecting unemployment thing

I know that employers in VA were cautious about doing it that way but at the same time the unemployment office held an interview with the employer and then former employee to see if it was a layoff or if the person quit/was fired for reason.. only a layoff qualified according to them
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-24-2010, 04:18 AM   #92
jamf
Pro Bowl

My boss sent me a text on while I was at my grandmothers funeral that said "I know it's a hard day, Can you call Lisa, She needs help with her telephone".

On Monday, I left early because I wasn't feeling well. About an hour after I left, My coworker was calling asking for help on a quote. He called 3 times in an hour.

Our warehouse guy is a young kid who is clueless. Constantly talking to me when I am obviously busy. He will stand next to me while I am typing up an email and talk talk talk. It drives me crazy. He constantly talks about his broken car and girlfriend like I give a shit. He is so proud he is getting some he broadcasts it everyday. Iam not 15, I don't care if you got some. His car is a mess. He has worked for me for 2 years yet his car has only worked for maybe 4 months. He is constantly fixing it but won't scrap it. it's an old POS Saab. He mods his car despite the fact that it doesn't run! He is constantly buying upgrades for it WHILE trying to save money to buy an engine.

I work for a small networking company. I wear many hats and enjoy my work but my coworkers are really making it difficult for me to enjoy my day.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #93
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

That's messed up about him texting you during your grandmother's funeral, jamf
Old 07-24-2010, 02:01 PM   #94
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Last week I had an employee basically ask me to fire him. He committed an offense that was pretty much the straw that broke the camel's back (he had 3 previous write-ups in his file), and when I pulled him aside to talk with him about it, he literally was like, "I know you've got to do what you've got to do." Long story short, he was practically begging to be fired. He was useless (I didn't hire him), but I was still hesitant because I don't want him to collect a dime of unemployment from us. But I still cut him loose. We well documented all of his missteps, and he even signed a "last warning" write up.

People who just blow off good jobs in this economy blow my mind.
I let a guy go for cause and he tried to collect unemployment, like tryfuhl mentioned, the VA unemployment folks called me to discuss the issue. I sent in some paperwork detailing the reason for firing. Then there was a conference call scheduled with the VEC, me and the person fired. The guy fired never got on the call and didn't get a dime of unemployment. Your situation sounds very similar, I don't think the guy you fired has a leg to stand on, but that's the process you'll probably have to go through.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:15 AM   #95
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
Why am I just now seeing this?!?!

At my old job on the day my boss, who I hated, retired she walked around the office from cubicle to cubicle having these awkward little good-bye moments with everyone. When she got about two or three desks away from me I made a bee line for the bathroom and hid in there for at least 20 minutes (I pre-planned this so I had an egg mcmuffin and plenty of coffee for breakfast). I successfully avoided any unwanted awkward conversation.
We have 3rd party vendors that we work with and they're in and out of our office all the time. Most of the time they're just walking around small talking everyone. I effin' hate it. I'll usually pick up the phone and try to seem busy whenever they come around my area.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:21 AM   #96
mredskins
Gamebreaker

The annoying lady that sits next to me came back today after her two week vacation. Monday morning is now official Monday mornings again. =(
Old 07-27-2010, 09:25 AM   #97
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
The annoying lady that sits next to me came back today after her two week vacation. Monday morning is now official Monday mornings again. =(
It's amazing how one person can just ruin your day isn't it? We have this woman who is totally disruptive, talks all day, sings and whistles to herself, doesn't do much work, and is always visiting with people at their desks. When she's not in it's a totally different work environment... quiet, peaceful, you can actually get some work done. Thankfully she's part-time and has Fridays off.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:42 AM   #98
KLHJ2
Inactive

I am the loud and obnoxious bastard at work. I am politically incorrect and love to stir up controversy. Luckily most of the people that I work with find me funny. I like to believe that I give them a break from their monotonous routine when I get going.

There is one person that doesn't like me and it's quite obvious. I chased her off today when I posed the question "How in the hell did I lose power after the storm when my cables are underground?". A couple of guys and I started going back and forth on the subject. She Sshhd me and I complied. 5 min later she left the room and went to work elsewhere. We picked up where we left off.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:25 AM   #99
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
It's amazing how one person can just ruin your day isn't it? We have this woman who is totally disruptive, talks all day, sings and whistles to herself, doesn't do much work, and is always visiting with people at their desks. When she's not in it's a totally different work environment... quiet, peaceful, you can actually get some work done. Thankfully she's part-time and has Fridays off.

Have you seen the McDonald's "me time" commercials? I love to be in one with her in the background flapping her lips and me saying"when this bitch is flapping her lips it is my me time", as I sip on one of their coffee coolers.

They could do one for this board as well. Picture Saden1 sipping a coffee cooler and in the background is a computer with a political thread open and you just see post after post from Buster, 1st down, SS33, etc.. spouting off their GOP dribble or Obama bashing.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:29 AM   #100
MTK
\m/

lol nice, haven't seen that commercial yet
Old 07-27-2010, 11:34 AM   #101
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
lol nice, haven't seen that commercial yet

Old 07-27-2010, 12:01 PM   #102
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Ohhh man. We've got a new guy working for us. He DOES NOT EVER SHUT UP! He's one of those guys, if you say a short phrase about anything, he's got a 10 minute story about how he can relate. My god. He's excruciating. Go figure his effing name is Kent.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:10 PM   #103
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Have one male and one female that constantly come in with sob stories blah blah to garner sympathy. If someone has a situation going on I'm sympathetic but when they turn every little thing into a pity party I'll have nothing of it. There are people out there with real problems that aren't constantly whining about it. Then there are the ones that say "Oh yeah I'm getting ready to leave and find a new job/have one lined up." Then do it! Don't complain about less hours because once I hear that I know that you're not committed and have to prepare for you to leave at any given moment. I mean are people really dumb enough to announce that before they do it? Your notice should be the first that I hear of it.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #104
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Yeah it seems that the people that have nothing to do are the yappers. Dont get me wrong I love talking, but not in the workplace. I've been on the road most of the time, so I have no other choice but to be quiet.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #105
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

I hate that tryfuhl, there are a ton of people who just bitch as if their story is the worst in the world.

I want to tell them shutup, I've been working on the road for 5 weeks! And better yet the developers in my company work 70+ hour weeks! People are dying every day of cancer! SHUT UP lol.