Non QB pick 3 5.88%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2023, 10:36 AM   #91
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Re: 2024 Early Bird Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I'd be fine with that if there's not a bona fide supa star sitting there.
I am kind of done with the whole trade down acquire more picks thing, it rarely ends with you getting a superstar player and honestly our team needs a superstar talent.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-15-2023, 10:53 AM   #92
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
I am kind of done with the whole trade down acquire more picks thing, it rarely ends with you getting a superstar player and honestly our team needs a superstar talent.
Especially if you are a team looking for a QB or an Offensive Tackle.

That's why the best scenario for this team would be to have a high top 10 pick, and be able to use any of the extra picks acquire through the Sweat/Young trade to move up and get the top OT or QB (if that's what the new GM wants).
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 11:06 AM   #93
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Especially if you are a team looking for a QB or an Offensive Tackle.

That's why the best scenario for this team would be to have a high top 10 pick, and be able to use any of the extra picks acquire through the Sweat/Young trade to move up and get the top OT or QB (if that's what the new GM wants).
Yeah, I'd rather trade up for Alt or Fashanu than trade down for more picks. We have tons of cap space and 5 picks in the 1st 3 round. Let's go hunt some studs.
sdskinsfan2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 12:42 PM   #94
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Trading down five spots in 2022 netted us Jahan Dotson, Brian Robinson, Sam Howell, and Cole Turner.

Chase Young was supposed to be a superstar. He's not even on the team anymore. Nothing is guaranteed.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 01:01 PM   #95
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Trading down five spots in 2022 netted us Jahan Dotson, Brian Robinson, Sam Howell, and Cole Turner.

Chase Young was supposed to be a superstar. He's not even on the team anymore. Nothing is guaranteed.
Nothing is guaranteed, but we are likely going to need to draft a franchise tackle or maybe a franchise QB, depending on what the new GM of this team wants to do. And you don't get either of those positions by trading down.

With the extra 2nd and 3rd round pick, you can potentially move up to get what you need, and still be able to draft in those rounds though.
R.I.P. #21
Old 11-15-2023, 01:15 PM   #96
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Nothing is guaranteed, but we are likely going to need to draft a franchise tackle or maybe a franchise QB, depending on what the new GM of this team wants to do. And you don't get either of those positions by trading down.

With the extra 2nd and 3rd round pick, you can potentially move up to get what you need, and still be able to draft in those rounds though.
If I was the owner I would nix a GM that wants another QB when you got Howell who is the real deal.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 01:32 PM   #97
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
If I was the owner I would nix a GM that wants another QB when you got Howell who is the real deal.
That would be a total Snyder move
Old 11-15-2023, 01:34 PM   #98
calia
Playmaker

Can I just register my frustration that we're already talking the draft before Thanksgiving? There, I said it.

Go draft BPsA (best player available) -- we have a lot of holes -- OL, LB, CB, S, DE, and TE (why is Cole Turner in the witness protection program?). And sign some decent FAs.
Old 11-15-2023, 01:38 PM   #99
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
It's dumb to go after another QB when you got one, I'm sorry but I don't know what more people want to see from Howell. I remember the Chargers got rid of Brees, how did that turn out. Rivers was good, Brees was great!!

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 11-15-2023, 01:46 PM   #100
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Definitely. If this team finishes 5-12, there's no way in hell a new GM is going to hitch their wagon to the QB that was hand picked by the outgoing coaching staff.
R.I.P. #21
Old 11-15-2023, 01:51 PM   #101
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
It's dumb to go after another QB when you got one, I'm sorry but I don't know what more people want to see from Howell. I remember the Chargers got rid of Brees, how did that turn out. Rivers was good, Brees was great!!
Brees had been in the league for 5 years before he was let go by the Chargers.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Howell and I am rooting for him. But unless the team goes into a crazy winning streak, with Howell at the helm, I find it hard to believe a new GM and coaching staff are going to go all in on him.

Also, we just got rid of an owner that meddle in football matters/personnel with disastrous consequences, why TF would you want Harris to do that?
R.I.P. #21
Old 11-15-2023, 01:54 PM   #102
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:

I just don’t agree with that course of action. I think the odds are much more in your favor if you draft multiple players, rather than trade up to draft 1 player that some analysts and talent evaluators may think is a game changing superstar like Chase Young or Trey Lance.

I mean, would you rather have Chris olave right now instead of Brian Robinson, Sam Howell, Jahan Dotson, and Cole Turner?

BPA... or trade down, then BPA...
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 02:29 PM   #103
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

There definitely should be no talk of drafting a quarterback. Sam is already really good and seemingly getting better each week. Get oline. Get LB. Get secondary. Percy Butler and BSJ stink to the high heavens and im not sure what Forbes is. Im not saying that we should go need only and ignore a stud anything that is available, but there will be a stud available at one of those areas of need. I wouldn’t shy away from a wr either. Or a tight end. We got plenty of picks and cap money to follow that recipe. Sam is getting paid like a fifth round pick and playing like a first round pick. That is something that doesn’t always happen and we are extremely fortunate for the situation. We need to take advantage of it and build around him.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 02:29 PM   #104
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Brees had been in the league for 5 years before he was let go by the Chargers.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Howell and I am rooting for him. But unless the team goes into a crazy winning streak, with Howell at the helm, I find it hard to believe a new GM and coaching staff are going to go all in on him.

Also, we just got rid of an owner that meddle in football matters/personnel with disastrous consequences, why TF would you want Harris to do that?
Ok say CJ Stroud was our QB and not Howell, would you still draft a QB? What’s the difference between CJ and Sam besides being a second overall pick and the other a 5th rounder. I view both as the same, people need to get over the, he was a 5th rounder and see what he’s doing.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 11-15-2023, 02:34 PM   #105
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Definitely. If this team finishes 5-12, there's no way in hell a new GM is going to hitch their wagon to the QB that was hand picked by the outgoing coaching staff.
I really like Sam and I think with the way he’s playing he’s going to make it very hard for a new GM to not stick with him. We still have him for 2 more seasons on a dirt cheap contract. That’s a very enticing 2 year window to build this team up around him and see where it goes.

But if a new GM decides to go a different route I’m ok with that. Ownership should have no say in who our QB is. We lived through countless piss poor QB decisions by Dan, I’m so done with that shit.

Thankfully Harris doesn’t seem to be that type of owner.