Cooley put on IR

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #91
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Re: Cooley put on IR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
Playmakers are usually the most technically sound players of their position. Ed Reed probably studies a ton of film to diagnose the play and then make his interceptions. Darelle Revis isn't a shutdown corner without his positioning and other coverage skills. Peyton Manning can diagnose defenses better than most other QBs.
What about T.O. is his heyday? It is hard to argue that he wasn't a playmaker. It is also hard to argue that he was "technically sound." And he is just one example.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #92
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
What about T.O. is his heyday? It is hard to argue that he wasn't a playmaker. It is also hard to argue that he was "technically sound." And he is just one example.
I said "usually", hence I can escape anyone bringing up exceptions to the rule like T.O.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:16 PM   #93
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
The bolded point is THE point. Playmakers are great but only if an offense, or defense, can - in all other facets- at least keep an opposing teams on an even keel. Much like we hoped RK would allow Orakpo more freedom to blitz. Playmakers still, generally, need a solid team in order for their abilities to shine through, otherwise opponents zero in, and can prevent them from making plays.
See, we always hear that our team has a lot of solid, but not spectacular players. At this point, I'd say our offensive line is getting to be solid, but not star-studded by any means.

I would also submit that we have *solid* running backs. Nothing particularly special to be sure. QBs and wide receivers, -- that's where we have problems.

Defensively, Landry, Hall, Otogwe, Carriker, Bowen, Kerrigan, Rak, are all "solid" players -- not necessarily perennial Pro Bowlers, and not guys that will show up on a box of Wheaties. But guys who are competent, know their positions, and can basically be counted on to perform consistently.

My point is, we don't have a set of players that take everybody else to the next level. The thing that separates the winners from the losers in this league are the teams that are able to collect the most playmakers. We don't have those guys and it shows.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #94
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
See, we always hear that our team has a lot of solid, but not spectacular players. At this point, I'd say our offensive line is getting to be solid, but not star-studded by any means.

I would also submit that we have *solid* running backs. Nothing particularly special to be sure. QBs and wide receivers, -- that's where we have problems.

Defensively, Landry, Hall, Otogwe, Carriker, Bowen, Kerrigan, Rak, are all "solid" players -- not necessarily perennial Pro Bowlers, and not guys that will show up on a box of Wheaties. But guys who are competent, know their positions, and can basically be counted on to perform consistently.

My point is, we don't have a set of players that take everybody else to the next level. The thing that separates the winners from the losers in this league are the teams that are able to collect the most playmakers. We don't have those guys and it shows.
We are just getting to a point of solid players. That had to be the first focus for MS/BA. Let's give them another draft (maybe two) and real FA period and see what we can get.. seems to me like MS and KS both seemed to know how to find playmakers in their last stints.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #95
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
We are just getting to a point of solid players. That had to be the first focus for MS/BA. Let's give them another draft (maybe two) and real FA period and see what we can get.. seems to me like MS and KS both seemed to know how to find playmakers in their last stints.
Players comes haphazardly to a team. Lesser, "solid" players should not be taken in favor of players with potential to become great simply because the team sucks. Otherwise, the Lions were morons for drafting Ndamukong Suh at #2 because they didn't have enough solid players on their team.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:29 PM   #96
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyRedskin View Post
Different, era. Different coachin style.
Really? How has quality player aquisition, chemistry changed? Not to mention quality coaching?

Last edited by Hog1; 10-26-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #97
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
Really? How has quality player aquisition, chemistry changed? Not to mention quality coaching?
Playmaker is a term orginally from soccer used to describe players who score a lot or help their team score a lot. Since football has different players playing defense and offense, the term needs to be adapted just a little bit to fit on both sides of the ball. The Hogs were playmakers. When a marginal running back puts up a 200+ yard performance in the Super Bowl, that means the OL were playmakers that game. Drafting to find playmakers has been around since the beginning of football. Only the Redskins eschewed the draft and preferred to try and find playmakers primarily through free agency.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:20 PM   #98
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

The point is....AND you accentuated it nicely. The Skins on those teams had guys that could play, but even at the time were not considered Superstars of the game, as in not necessary to win SB's??
YES, the Hogs were well known as a unit but very few people (and many fans) could have named any player on that line....or now.
BTW...please never refer to Soccer again for any reason on a Redskin forum...thanx for that.
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:31 PM   #99
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
Players comes haphazardly to a team. Lesser, "solid" players should not be taken in favor of players with potential to become great simply because the team sucks. Otherwise, the Lions were morons for drafting Ndamukong Suh at #2 because they didn't have enough solid players on their team.
At the same time you don't neglect core needs for a shot in the dark player. Show me where in the past two drafts we specifically passed up an available "playmaker" for a substantially lesser player. Any discussion of drafts before then simply seems fruitless as everyone here agrees those drafts were sad in judgement at this point . Also show me a playmaker FA we should have gotten, without breaking the bank a la AH. Even your Suh example is skewed because the lions took the best player in the draft for an area that they needed considerable upgrading at. Basically that is a win/win for their team, in other words they did not neglect a core need for a playmaker. My counter to that would be both atlanta, getting JJ but neglecting a woeful defense, and the cowboys getting Dez Bryant, but neglecting their line in that draft.

Look a team needs playmakers, we definitely need some but you can't neglect your core, hopefully in the next two seasons we see talent across the board rise and have a few players truly step up to that next level. Like you said players don't come haphazardly, and they also, generally, don't come en masse, that's why its re building because its a step by step process and it takes time, not one and a half offseasons.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:04 PM   #100
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
At the same time you don't neglect core needs for a shot in the dark player. Show me where in the past two drafts we specifically passed up an available "playmaker" for a substantially lesser player. Any discussion of drafts before then simply seems fruitless as everyone here agrees those drafts were sad in judgement at this point . Also show me a playmaker FA we should have gotten, without breaking the bank a la AH. Even your Suh example is skewed because the lions took the best player in the draft for an area that they needed considerable upgrading at. Basically that is a win/win for their team, in other words they did not neglect a core need for a playmaker. My counter to that would be both atlanta, getting JJ but neglecting a woeful defense, and the cowboys getting Dez Bryant, but neglecting their line in that draft.

Look a team needs playmakers, we definitely need some but you can't neglect your core, hopefully in the next two seasons we see talent across the board rise and have a few players truly step up to that next level. Like you said players don't come haphazardly, and they also, generally, don't come en masse, that's why its re building because its a step by step process and it takes time, not one and a half offseasons.
We have taken shots at playmakers already. I define playmakers as guys who make a huge impact in helping scoring on O or preventing scores on D. Reputation, etc has no relevance. It's what they do that matters.

Core players are playmakers. Brian Orakpo, Ryan Kerrigan, and Trent Williams are not here to just be solid. They're here to be playing up to their potential, which is on par with some Pro Bowlers and criminally underrated good players like Justin Smith, aka be playmakers. They're here to prove they should be anchoring us for the next 5-10 years. They're the ones getting the huge contracts if they pan out, just like Clay Matthews and Jason Pierre-Paul are well on their way to getting.

We have taken consistently taken shots on potential playmakers in the first round in our recent history, even Carlos Rogers and Jason Campbell were shots at playmakers. JC was supposed to be Rypien and Doug Williams reincarnated, and to Joe Gibbs, that meant Super Bowl-caliber.

What Atlanta passed up were likely two more "risky" potential playmakers and a special teamer for one "sure thing" offensive player. Of course, Jones is not risk-free AT ALL, but they deemed him more necessary than what they expected to grab with the picks they had.

Last edited by SirClintonPortis; 10-26-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:14 PM   #101
12thMan
MVP

Snippets 980ESPN from Chris Cooley today:

Cooley said he feels 100% a casualty of the lockout.. Not being able 2 treat his knee w/trainers & doctors during offseason

"it's a shame"Cooley says he constantly had knee drained. Felt pressure to be healthier for the fans, "I probably should have taken more time rehabbing."Cooley says microfracture was 50/50 chance of recovery, "to be honest with you, it hurt to run ten yards."

"It's amazing what this franchise means to me .. I'm part of this team.. I have no desire to play for anyone else."

Cooley says when he was at Super Bowl, to watch the Saints that would be biggest moment "this will be the only team I care about....says main goal to accomplish in the NFL is to run out of the tunnel playing in a Super Bowl. Said he wants to do that w/ Redskins

"I am a fan of the Washington #Redskins." "i still believe we are a very good football team."

"I feel so lucky to play for an organization and a fan base, that lets me be myself."
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #102
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Snippets 980ESPN from Chris Cooley today:

Cooley said he feels 100% a casualty of the lockout.. Not being able 2 treat his knee w/trainers & doctors during offseason

"it's a shame"Cooley says he constantly had knee drained. Felt pressure to be healthier for the fans, "I probably should have taken more time rehabbing."Cooley says microfracture was 50/50 chance of recovery, "to be honest with you, it hurt to run ten yards."

"It's amazing what this franchise means to me .. I'm part of this team.. I have no desire to play for anyone else."

Cooley says when he was at Super Bowl, to watch the Saints that would be biggest moment "this will be the only team I care about....says main goal to accomplish in the NFL is to run out of the tunnel playing in a Super Bowl. Said he wants to do that w/ Redskins

"I am a fan of the Washington #Redskins." "i still believe we are a very good football team."

"I feel so lucky to play for an organization and a fan base, that lets me be myself."
I feel bad for the guy. I hope he can get back to 100% and be a contributer on this team for a few more years.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #103
12thMan
MVP

I've never met the guy, but I used date a chick that owned a landscaping business and she did the outside of Cooley's home. Had nothing but good things to say about him and his wife. She didn't even realize he was an athlete until I mentioned him. I really hope he retires as a Redskin.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:47 PM   #104
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
I agree, this team is only now getting the foundation in place after years of terrible moves. Once the foundation is in place then playmakers can come. I dont think most people really understood how broken this team was and its going to take more than 2 or 3 years just to get this team back to a good starting point..
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:42 PM   #105
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Washington Redskins' Chris Cooley, on IR, says he's casualty of NFL lockout - ESPN

Sigh. Don't necessarily agree with Cooley here that the lockout cost him the season. He could've gone to James Andrews in the offseason to get a prognosis but he chose not to. Still though I understand why he would've wanted the comforts and opinions of working with the same doctor he's used to in the past, as they probably know his body more so than other doctors. Either way I hope he's healthy and ready for minicamp next year.