The Gameday Thread: Philly at Washington

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-17-2011, 05:09 PM   #1021
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Re: The Gameday Thread: Philly at Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I don''t think Rex and Kyle are necessarily close, like say Kyle and Chris Simms are. And Kyle insisted we trade for Beck in the first place. Plus, he had his press conference and said a decision will be announced on Wednesday. You don't decide your starting QB after watching just 45 minutes of game tape. And finally, heaven help us when our coach (or any coach) makes a decision based on what the fans want
John Fox with Tim Tebow.
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #1022
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
They're backing a teammate who is the incumbent starter. That's what you'd want your players to do.

I agree that you would want your players to do that, and they are...what a difference a couple years makes.

I wouldn't expect anyone to publicly call for Beck over Grossman, but I have to believe that there is a growing majority that is thinking that there should be a change.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #1023
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Kyle Orton, for as well as he played in the preseason, was playing horribly during the regular season and was getting worse. And that is why Fox pulled him
Old 10-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #1024
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Kyle Orton, for as well as he played in the preseason, was playing horribly during the regular season and was getting worse. And that is why Fox pulled him
And apparently put him on the trading block, too? Wow. I agree with you, though. Kyle Orton is a slow boat to nowhere.

Raiders Interested In Kyle Orton? Broncos QB Might Be On Trading Block - SB Nation Bay Area
Old 10-17-2011, 05:37 PM   #1025
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Personally I think they wanted Beck in there from the start, but Rex simply had a better preseason so they had to give him the nod.
I think there is a little more to the story then what we are thinking. I think Beck is obviously the better scrambler and has a stronger arm, not as accurate in the deep ball but is able to throw farther.

Grossman on the other hand, although does not have a strong arm to throw the ball deep is more accurate on the short to intermediate. I think the biggie was that Grossman knows more of the offense then Beck and is able to change out of a play sent in to a more positive play the defense will give him. Beck just runs the play sent in most of the time and again I'm thinking its due to him not knowing the whole play book as well. Which is why I think Grossman got the nod.

If Beck starts I think he will do some things that will suprise us but I think he will do some things to make us scratch our heads. As in the Ealges game he was more mobile and ran for yardage, he showed he has a stronger arm, but he didn't change very many plays or have WR's who were going to locate the ball and then go after it. If the ball was not on the money the receiver didn't catch it. But there were a couple of passes that were not his fault either that were drops.

I'm not saying Grossman was not 100x better but I think the coaching staff had to pick the best of the two evils and stick with it. I really wish the team would have taken Andy Dalton but who would have we not drafted? Kerrigan or Jenkins? I know Jenkins is not effective right now but had he not gotten injured our defense would be a monster. and if it was Kerrigan we probably would not have the pass rush we have in Kerrigan and Orakpo that failed to get to Vick all day. (I think due to holding, but what do I know)
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #1026
Mechanix544
The Starter

Look. The guy threw 4 INTs. That makes 9 in the past FOUR games, 11 turnovers in the last 5 games overall and he should have at least 13-14 if not for some ridiculous Carlos Rogers-esque drops. Those that are arguing about who is responsible for what interception are missing the point, the bottom line. He is the field general, the signal caller, the top guy. He is the last person to touch the ball before it lands in a defenders hands, period. Why do we never hear about other teams quarterbacks and who is responsible for their interceptions? Probably because the rest of their play is up to snuff, at least to overlook a few missteps and chalk it up to a learning experience. If history is any indicator at ALL, this is not the case with rex grossman, period. This guy stays on the roster only because of the fact that we need bodies in case our other quarterback goes down in case of an injury. We have BARELY gotten by several talent challenged teams and eeked out our wins. This has to stop now.

The Washington Redskins have enough to contend with within their own conference, rather than having to fight out of every horrible situation that Rex Grossman puts them in every game. You can't go into a boxing match with handcuffs and a blindfold on, and that is what we are doing when we go into a game with Rex grossman behind center.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Because it's a Redskins message board, not a Jaguars message board.
True, Im sure the Jaguar message board is blowing up about the way their ROOKIE quarterback has thrown 2 interceptions in 5 games. edit... (sorry, he's played 6)
Old 10-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #1027
SBXVII
Franchise Player

^ Your right. Lets play Beck he should be the solution to all this.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:56 PM   #1028
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Thanks for taking my Jaguars message board hypothetical literally.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #1029
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Personally I think they wanted Beck in there from the start, but Rex simply had a better preseason so they had to give him the nod.
For the most part at this point in time, I don't think the majority of fans that have become dissatisfied with Grossman look for Beck to be any kind of big time gunslinger like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. If he’s a game manager that makes good decisions with the football I’ll be happy because I think the Redskins defense is much improved this season.

If you have a good defense and a game managing type of QB it will keep you in games and give you a chance to win. We know what Grossman is all about, but it’s the unknown about Beck that gives us hope at this point. Choosing either of the two going forward is a tough decision, but one that has to be made.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:36 PM   #1030
Mechanix544
The Starter

Quote:
Thanks for taking my Jaguars message board hypothetical literally.
I wasn't taking it literally, just having a bit of fun......
I knew u just threw a teams name out there for your point

Last edited by Mechanix544; 10-17-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Mechanix544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:38 PM   #1031
Mechanix544
The Starter

you know, arguing for the sake of arguing?
Mechanix544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:42 PM   #1032
tmandoug1
Special Teams

Lightbulb Re: The Gameday Thread: Philly at Washington

Great job, I could not agree with you more,,,I would rather see Beck make the mistakes then watch Rex make the same mistakes he has always made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanix544 View Post
Look. The guy threw 4 INTs. That makes 9 in the past FOUR games, 11 turnovers in the last 5 games overall and he should have at least 13-14 if not for some ridiculous Carlos Rogers-esque drops. Those that are arguing about who is responsible for what interception are missing the point, the bottom line. He is the field general, the signal caller, the top guy. He is the last person to touch the ball before it lands in a defenders hands, period. Why do we never hear about other teams quarterbacks and who is responsible for their interceptions? Probably because the rest of their play is up to snuff, at least to overlook a few missteps and chalk it up to a learning experience. If history is any indicator at ALL, this is not the case with rex grossman, period. This guy stays on the roster only because of the fact that we need bodies in case our other quarterback goes down in case of an injury. We have BARELY gotten by several talent challenged teams and eeked out our wins. This has to stop now.

The Washington Redskins have enough to contend with within their own conference, rather than having to fight out of every horrible situation that Rex Grossman puts them in every game. You can't go into a boxing match with handcuffs and a blindfold on, and that is what we are doing when we go into a game with Rex grossman behind center.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Because it's a Redskins message board, not a Jaguars message board.
True, Im sure the Jaguar message board is blowing up about the way their ROOKIE quarterback has thrown 2 interceptions in 5 games. edit... (sorry, he's played 6)