Sam Howell's stats

3466 Yards passing
18 Tds
14 INTS

243 Yards rushing
5 TDs
5 Fumbles (2 lost)

66 Passing grade (Mid tier)

I think the next 5 weeks are huge for Sam, if he finishes the season on the top 5 of passing yards and has clsoe to 30 total TDs, it will be hard to just toss him to the curb next yr
AGAIN, we need to get away from total yards its fools gold

In QBR he ranks 21st in the league

https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

You definitely keep him no matter what he does in the next 5 games; at best he is your guy for the next decade at worst he is a very serviceable back up on the cheap.

The REAL question is: Is he good enough that you pass on a QB in a draft heavy on QB talent and your team has multiply draft picks some of which are very high?

My answer from what I have seen so far from SH; is if you got a guy in this years draft you want you go get him. Then its up to SH to beat that dude out for QB1.

Advertisements
Old 12-05-2023, 01:01 PM   #1007
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: The Sam Howell Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post

You definitely keep him no matter what he does in the next 5 games; at best he is your guy for the next decade at worst he is a very serviceable back up on the cheap.

The REAL question is: Is he good enough that you pass on a QB in a draft heavy on QB talent and your team has multiply draft picks some of which are very high?

My answer from what I have seen so far from SH; is if you got a guy in this years draft you want you go get him. Then its up to SH to beat that dude out for QB1.
Yeah no doubt, the real Q is can SH lead this team to the playoffs? Even with an OL.. Nobody knows yet
Old 12-05-2023, 01:24 PM   #1008
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

The Sam Howell Thread

Quote:

I know yards isn’t everything but fools gold is probably not it either. Look at the other 10 quarterbacks leading in yards.

C.J. Stroud
HOU

S. Howell
WSH

T. Tagovailoa
MIA

J. Goff
DET

D. Prescott
DAL

J. Allen
BUF

B. Purdy
SF

P. Mahomes
KC

J. Herbert
LAC

T. Lawrence
JAX

J. Hurts
PHI

Basically the who’s who of nfl quarterbacks. Gotta be something to it.

Two different OC’s both of whom hinder not help. Arguably the worst Oline. No great wr. No run game. A clown HC.

The pick sixes are him pressing and knowing down by 30 he needs to score quickly. I think it would be a mistake not to build around him for this coming year and see what he is capable of with all those things he is lacking. A really big mistake.

Help me out SF. Lol
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 01:43 PM   #1009
jamf
Pro Bowl

Let me give Sam some praise.

Dude is tough and he holds on to the ball which is surprising considering how often he is scrambling.

That's all I got for positives

Links for reading pleasure while you wait for your oil change at Jiffy Lube.
https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/p...-time-to-throw
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...5592d50f8fa7af
https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/samhowell

From the SI article:
Quote:
Howell gets passes batted at the line and deflected by underneath defenders as he is unable to get over them, lacking height. He takes too many sacks because he fails to identify blitzes pre-snap and does not have an internal clock.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 02:03 PM   #1010
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
I know yards isn’t everything but fools gold is probably not it either. Look at the other 10 quarterbacks leading in yards.

C.J. Stroud
HOU

S. Howell
WSH

T. Tagovailoa
MIA

J. Goff
DET

D. Prescott
DAL

J. Allen
BUF

B. Purdy
SF

P. Mahomes
KC

J. Herbert
LAC

T. Lawrence
JAX

J. Hurts
PHI

Basically the who’s who of nfl quarterbacks. Gotta be something to it.

Two different OC’s both of whom hinder not help. Arguably the worst Oline. No great wr. No run game. A clown HC.

The pick sixes are him pressing and knowing down by 30 he needs to score quickly. I think it would be a mistake not to build around him for this coming year and see what he is capable of with all those things he is lacking. A really big mistake.

Help me out SF. Lol
Also in that list each QB not named Sam is in the top half of the QBR rating, also each QB on that list team is .500 or above battling for a playoff spot

You know what you call Sam in statistics? A Outlier

Here is another way to look at it. Lets say everyone on that list is a distance runner and everyone ran a ton miles; top guy had 100 miles the lowest guy lets say 89 miles over a period of time, Sam had 99 miles. Consider the miles ran yards thrown. Now in that same list the average pace was 7 minutes per mile expect for one of the distance runners his pace was 16 minutes per mile and his name was Sam. Consider the pace the QBR.

Does that paint a better picture of why the total yards is fools gold?

Sam only has a ton of yards because:
1. We are always behind and trying to catch up
2. He plays in a lot of garbage time minutes
3. His OC is a idiot and can't game plan a balanced attack
Old 12-05-2023, 02:21 PM   #1011
Ruhskins
Living Legend

I think it is funny that some fans are asking for the new regime to do the same thing that has happened with this current (Ron and co.) and the previous (Bruce/Jay and co.): to keep and work with the existing QB, which has some potential upside, that hasn't resulted in wins.

Now, is there a chance for Sam to be the starter in 2024? Yes. The most likely scenario for this is a situation where the team has no option to get a QB (i.e. no trading partner).

I don't think there are many GM/coaches that are going to come in and view Sam with the same Ashburn Syndrome glasses we do as fans and anoint him QB1 right away. There could be, but I highly doubted, and the optics of Sam continuing to falter (I know not everything is on him) and throw pick-6s, doesn't look good for a new regime that wants to go on rebuild mode.

Personally, I think there are other scenarios that are most likely to happen:

- We trade up to get a QB in the draft, who starts right away.

- The new GM brings in a veteran they know via free agency or a trade the way that Campbell brought Goff to the Lions.

Again, not saying that Sam starting next year is out of the question, I just feel that the new regime is going to want their own guy (whether rookie or free agent) like most new regimes do.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 02:44 PM   #1012
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Honestly at the end of the day when they get a new staff here, the odds of them picking their own QB are probably high
Old 12-05-2023, 08:17 PM   #1013
That Guy
Living Legend

EB has called at least one bootleg... (the game after schlereth talked to him about the run game, the one he had the call for). I really can't remember seeing another one though.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 08:40 PM   #1014
Meks
Pro Bowl

The height shit something he will have to adapt to. There's been short qbs who did fine, brees was the same size. Howell needs to learn and progress same as 90% of other players who expect to play a long time in this league. He moves well in the pocket when they actually have one, he gets out of trouble a good amount of time, he's for the most part accurate and has a great arm. A lot comparisons to Brees not just the size thing. Brees numbers were not great in his first 27 games through back to back almost full seasons.

It's fine if most of you would rather draft a QB instead of other pieces half giving up on him, that's your choice. To me it's a waste of capital drafting a qb in the top 5 if there is a stud OL there. With a new coach and scheme and some OL help he'd earn yalls praise a bit more. So we draft a qb that should "start right away". If they don't change the OC and really... really help the o line it will mean zilch. Stroud is playing great but to me he's more of an exception not a rule.

Handful of rookies won 9+ games and that number is 6 since 2012 on list includes RG3.

Sam has a lot of work to do... I believe he will do it. He has great potential and IMO can lead this team to great records and the playoffs for a long time. He needs help, as would any qb here. Especially another rookie. Cousins was never clutch but he was the most decent we had for a long time. A lot of yall gave him a much longer leash than you are Sam. Sam the rookie. Patience is an underrated and undervalued thing in a 'what have you done for me lately' league.

For me I'm not risking our 1st round pick on a qb. New regime or not, just not what I'd like to see them do.

Cheers to the future.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 09:14 PM   #1015
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meks View Post
The height shit something he will have to adapt to. There's been short qbs who did fine, brees was the same size. Howell needs to learn and progress same as 90% of other players who expect to play a long time in this league. He moves well in the pocket when they actually have one, he gets out of trouble a good amount of time, he's for the most part accurate and has a great arm. A lot comparisons to Brees not just the size thing. Brees numbers were not great in his first 27 games through back to back almost full seasons.

It's fine if most of you would rather draft a QB instead of other pieces half giving up on him, that's your choice. To me it's a waste of capital drafting a qb in the top 5 if there is a stud OL there. With a new coach and scheme and some OL help he'd earn yalls praise a bit more. So we draft a qb that should "start right away". If they don't change the OC and really... really help the o line it will mean zilch. Stroud is playing great but to me he's more of an exception not a rule.

Handful of rookies won 9+ games and that number is 6 since 2012 on list includes RG3.

Sam has a lot of work to do... I believe he will do it. He has great potential and IMO can lead this team to great records and the playoffs for a long time. He needs help, as would any qb here. Especially another rookie. Cousins was never clutch but he was the most decent we had for a long time. A lot of yall gave him a much longer leash than you are Sam. Sam the rookie. Patience is an underrated and undervalued thing in a 'what have you done for me lately' league.

For me I'm not risking our 1st round pick on a qb. New regime or not, just not what I'd like to see them do.

Cheers to the future.
This. Give Sam a #4 overall LT, 2nd and 3rd guards or use Chicago 2nd and ours to get into the lower 1st and get a RT, and the 3rds for DE's (FA for LB's). then give him a year. If he doesn't keep producing, then we likely will be in the top teens and able to be in trading range for a qb.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 09:16 PM   #1016
skinsfan69
Living Legend

The sacks and int's are an issue. But that is going to come w/ just about any first year starter. On top of that he's got a really bad line in front of him w. an OC that really doesn't do a good job at running an offense.

If Sam had Kyle he'd be put in a lot better positions to be successful. If they go w/ Sam, for god sakes invest heavily in the line in front of him. Two high picks and a FA or two. 3 to 4 new starters...

The new guys will have to do your due diligence w/ all the QB's coming out. I'm really high on Penix and not high on Caleb. We won't be able to get him anyway. Just didn't like what I saw against a few tough teams. Haven't seen enough of Maye. Jaden Daniels.. what's not to like? He can do it all. He is a better prospect than Hurts was imo. But getting back to Penix, he is as good a thrower/passer as I've seen in a while. The rotation on his ball and the elite arm talent is all there.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 09:27 PM   #1017
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Also in that list each QB not named Sam is in the top half of the QBR rating, also each QB on that list team is .500 or above battling for a playoff spot

You know what you call Sam in statistics? A Outlier

Here is another way to look at it. Lets say everyone on that list is a distance runner and everyone ran a ton miles; top guy had 100 miles the lowest guy lets say 89 miles over a period of time, Sam had 99 miles. Consider the miles ran yards thrown. Now in that same list the average pace was 7 minutes per mile expect for one of the distance runners his pace was 16 minutes per mile and his name was Sam. Consider the pace the QBR.

Does that paint a better picture of why the total yards is fools gold?

Sam only has a ton of yards because:
1. We are always behind and trying to catch up
2. He plays in a lot of garbage time minutes
3. His OC is a idiot and can't game plan a balanced attack

None of those other quarterbacks play behind the worst line in football, have no top tier wr, have no running game, have an idiot HC, have learned two offenses in two years, and have zero home field advantage. Some might check a couple of those boxes but only Sam checks them all.
Old 12-05-2023, 09:45 PM   #1018
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

The best thing this team can do and whoever will be in charge. Trade down our 1st rounder to accumulate more picks, draft 2 Tackles and OG, DE, LB, TE, CB’s, build around Howell.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 09:54 PM   #1019
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
The best thing this team can do and whoever will be in charge. Trade down our 1st rounder to accumulate more picks, draft 2 Tackles and OG, DE, LB, TE, CB’s, build around Howell.
I understand the thinking, but if we have the 4th pick, we should take a cornerstone LT. This franchise definitely lost it's way, and when Trent Williams left I think that was truly the start of the end of DS. Now bring in a guy that can protect Sam ( or whoever) for the next 10-15 years
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 11:18 PM   #1020
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

The Sam Howell Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post

I agree with everything except the trade down. We have 9 picks and lots of dollars to spend. We need a fucking difference maker though. A cornerstone, all pro LT like CRed said. It is paramount.

We can address all those things you mentioned, which are exactly what we need, without trading down.