Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Potential GM/HC/Coaches Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Your top choice for the next head coach?
Ben Johnson 25 51.02%
Bobby Slowick 3 6.12%
Mike MacDonald 10 20.41%
Raheem Morris 0 0%
Dan Quinn 2 4.08%
Mike Vrabel 2 4.08%
Bill Belichick 2 4.08%
Aaron Glenn 0 0%
Jim Harbaugh 5 10.20%
other 0 0%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2024, 08:00 PM   #991
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Re: Potential GM/HC/Coaches Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
https://www.reddit.com/r/Commanders/s/nxWm71r5zA

Detroit podcast reporting BJ had a standing offer from us and to make more then Dan Campbell

He was definitely our top pick , we waited for him as plan B C D etc all signed else where

Now Peter’s is flapping in the wind

If Quinn let’s say was our first pick ; what is the hold up guy been available longer then the ugliest stripper in the bar for a lap dance

The Commanders are in a tough spot right now ; they need a coach and have limited options; if what is left is anyone good someone would have hired them by now
Johnson is my Cousins of the coaching world. I wish him good health but professional failure.

Advertisements
Old 01-31-2024, 08:29 PM   #992
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
https://www.reddit.com/r/Commanders/s/nxWm71r5zA

Detroit podcast reporting BJ had a standing offer from us and to make more then Dan Campbell

He was definitely our top pick , we waited for him as plan B C D etc all signed else where

Now Peter’s is flapping in the wind

If Quinn let’s say was our first pick ; what is the hold up guy been available longer then the ugliest stripper in the bar for a lap dance

The Commanders are in a tough spot right now ; they need a coach and have limited options; if what is left is anyone good someone would have hired them by now
Haha... ok. Well, Dan Campbell is reportedly making $4 mil per year... Sooo they had a "standing offer" to pay BJ more than $4 mil per year. Whoop-de-do. RR was making $8.5 mil/yr.

Doesn't scream "all-in" to me...
Old 01-31-2024, 08:33 PM   #993
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I’m not buying that Peters was all in on Johnson and now that he fell through he’s flailing around aimlessly with no plan
I'm not buying that either. Nothing has changed with regard to Washington and San Diego being the best destinations for a GM and HC this off season. It was that way in the beginning - which is why we have Adam Peters - and it's still the case for Washington.

It's entirely possible their #1 candidate after all the 2nd interviews is still out there, and the other candidates had to settle for other jobs, because they didn't get the job they hoped for in Washington... or in some cases they just weren't ready for it, and had momma call the pilot to relay the message that he couldn't come out of the basement for another interview until next year.
Old 01-31-2024, 08:37 PM   #994
rocnrik
Playmaker

I don't care if all of you get pissed but this is all Dan Snyder like shit show ... This new owner totally shit the bed on this .. I have NO illusions that this is gonna be any getter than Snyder .. Harris knew for a damn year that he was gonna fire Ron !! A year head start and we are down to the Bottom of Barrell on the coach .. I'm not cutting anyone slack this is amateur hour and I have had enough ! We are the laughing stock of the entire league . This franchise is currently the worst in the league even with NEW Owners and GM ! The team with NO Identity.. No leadership ( we got coordinators turning us down to be HEAD Coach) .. it's bad ! Johnson never wanted any part of this team in fact the so called fans don't care enough to attend games they sell there tickets to the opposing teams fans .. the stadium sucks ,the facilities suck, the name sucks .. tell me what doesn't suck about this team ! I'm waiting
Old 01-31-2024, 08:46 PM   #995
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
They look kinda stupid right now. How many times have they met w/ Quinn? 3 times and they still have not given the guy the job. I'd tell Harris and Peters to fuck off and withdraw my name. I'm going to go back to Dallas and keep abusing your offense and dragging your QB. He looks like a doormat and that would piss me off.
I think they only met with him twice, like every other candidate. There was a false report last week that there were 3 meetings with him.
Old 01-31-2024, 08:48 PM   #996
rocnrik
Playmaker

I'm now officially like Jamf but instead of Sam being the target it's the entire front office and owner.. Clowns 🤡 hell even Carolina got their coach with their crap owner .. this is beyond bad !! Not one of us should cut them any slack !! I have No faith they are gonna get the coach right or the draft or free agents .. or ever change the suck ass name or build a decent stadium .. if you do then you got your rose colored glasses on !! Wanna bet they spin this that Johnson or Macdonald were never the choice ? I sure hope they don't think we are that stupid .. They need to man up admit they shit the bed !
Old 01-31-2024, 08:49 PM   #997
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I feel like collectively as a group there are a lot of people worked up because the consensus #1 pick for HC threw a curveball and cancelled the date while we were driving over to pick them up. "Why don't he want me man?!"

The reality is Ben Johnson was and is not the last great potential HC available in the NFL. Is it a disadvantage to be the last team without a HC? Sure, but if you trust in our GM - the consensus #1 next great GM pick in the NFL - then you trust that he can do his job and work the pool of available candidates to find a leader he wants to build around for the next 5+ years. If that's Quinn, so be it. Hopefully he's a little bit older and a little bit wiser from his first time as a HC. If it's Weaver or somebody under the radar, I'm fine with it too. I trust the guy/s running the show because their last name doesn't rhyme with rider.

For the record I don't buy the "I want to win a title" narrative in Detroit either. I think either he lacks confidence or the vibe wasn't right with our staff. Guy has done this 2 years in a row - he's the one who backs out. I don't want him if he's not the right guy for the job.
Old 01-31-2024, 08:50 PM   #998
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocnrik View Post
I don't care if all of you get pissed but this is all Dan Snyder like shit show ... This new owner totally shit the bed on this .. I have NO illusions that this is gonna be any getter than Snyder .. Harris knew for a damn year that he was gonna fire Ron !! A year head start and we are down to the Bottom of Barrell on the coach .. I'm not cutting anyone slack this is amateur hour and I have had enough ! We are the laughing stock of the entire league . This franchise is currently the worst in the league even with NEW Owners and GM ! The team with NO Identity.. No leadership ( we got coordinators turning us down to be HEAD Coach) .. it's bad ! Johnson never wanted any part of this team in fact the so called fans don't care enough to attend games they sell there tickets to the opposing teams fans .. the stadium sucks ,the facilities suck, the name sucks .. tell me what doesn't suck about this team ! I'm waiting
Well, we still have passionate fans
Old 01-31-2024, 08:55 PM   #999
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
PSTS (Post Snyder Trauma Sydrome) IS real! The reactions in this thread are evidence of it.

All evidence suggests that the team is following a plan: 8 initial interviews, 5 scheduled follow up interviews this week. Several of the follow up interviews were on teams that were eliminated this week ( Weaver, Glenn, Macdonald, Johnson) so no decision was going to be made before today. Did Johnson's backing out throw a wrench in it. Possibly. Does it mean that we now are doomed to Zorn II, most definitely not.

If we don't have a HC in the next week, then we can revisit the question. But right now it looks like they did the second set of interviews and are evaluating the results. I imagine an answer will be today or tomorrow.
Old 01-31-2024, 09:03 PM   #1000
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Honestly though, who were the "serious" candidates (who actually got at least one interview)?

Ben Johnson: Seems to be a great OC, but obviously not ready to be a HC. Probably can't lead his dog to the dog dish.
Bobby Slowik: Had a great year, has more to prove. Not ready.
Raheem Morris: Intriguing, ready for round 2, but went to Atlanta.
Mike Macdonald - Also intriguing (my first choice), probably ready, said to be a leader, but went to Seattle.

I don't know that any of the above names were the new owner's #1. They all had 2nd interviews, but then again so did everyone below, with the exception of EB.

Aaron Glenn - in play
Anthony Weaver - in play
Dan Quinn - in play
Eric Bieniemy - in play

So half of the candidates are still in play. I can't agree that we're scraping the bottom of the barrel, or that this screams "amateur hour".
Old 01-31-2024, 09:09 PM   #1001
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Matt Miller tweet:

Talked to a college coach this week who told me “life in the NFL is so much better than college now. We’re all trying to get to the league.”

------

College football is being destroyed
Old 01-31-2024, 09:40 PM   #1002
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Honestly though, who were the "serious" candidates (who actually got at least one interview)?

Ben Johnson: Seems to be a great OC, but obviously not ready to be a HC. Probably can't lead his dog to the dog dish.
Mike Macdonald - Also intriguing (my first choice), probably ready, said to be a leader, but went to Seattle.

I don't know that any of the above names were the new owner's #1. They all had 2nd interviews, but then again so did everyone below, with the exception of EB.

Aaron Glenn - in play
Anthony Weaver - in play
Dan Quinn - in play
Eric Bieniemy - in play

So half of the candidates are still in play. I can't agree that we're scraping the bottom of the barrel, or that this screams "amateur hour".
nice macro view

honestly maybe the real answer is its a ok class of HC candidates this off season
Old 01-31-2024, 09:44 PM   #1003
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post

Aaron Glenn - in play
Anthony Weaver - in play
Dan Quinn - in play
Eric Bieniemy - in play

Absolutely agree about it not screaming or even hinting at amateur hour and same old shit…. That is all crap.

I do think they swung and missed with BJ and I am disappointed, but honestly, in the past, guys like this probably wouldn’t even interview with us. Also what are we supposed to do? Break the bank on a rookie coach and bend over backwards to get him?

Whoever they hire will most certainly be an improvement, and like Matty said if it doesn’t work out, go get someone next year. We are recovering from 25 years of ineptitude. It is crazy to suggest nothing has changed simply because some OC doesn’t want to be here.
Old 01-31-2024, 09:55 PM   #1004
MTK
\m/

Sounds like Johnson’s asking price of $15m was just him throwing out an absurd number he knew nobody would actually give him. It’s clear he doesn’t want to be a HC right now or just isn’t ready. Either way I think it’s safe to assume Peters knew he was far from a sure thing. The echo chamber of social media isn’t reality. At some point I bet we’ll get a detailed story as to what went down behind the scenes.
Old 01-31-2024, 10:00 PM   #1005
rocnrik
Playmaker

Glenn,Weaver,Quinn,EB, so there is the choices ..EB could have been named head coach weeks ago so it obvious he wasn't top dog . Same with Quinn. So it's down to Glenn and Weaver ! I do not recall anyone on this forum wanting either as our first choice for head coach . So I'm I really wrong to say this was botched or are we gonna give the new guys a pass on this ? At this point there is not a clear number one with this group
Of names .. I guess Maybe Glenn ,Weaver ,Quinn,EB in that order ?? If I said that was the choices 2 weeks ago you guys would have laughed.. so yea I'm pissed at this
Closed Thread