Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Let's talk good beer

Parking Lot

Old 02-12-2016, 04:16 PM   #976
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Re: Let's talk good beer

I trucked around to 3 shops and called several others. Got on the list at one, who were in the early stages of figuring out how they were going to allocate their lot. I'm not hopeful so late in the game.

OTM - I appreciate it but will pass. If I don't get in on the 6ers, I have a friend ready to trade already. Plus I'm gonna grab a pint or 2 out late tonight.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-12-2016, 06:50 PM   #977
RedskinMike
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
I trucked around to 3 shops and called several others. Got on the list at one, who were in the early stages of figuring out how they were going to allocate their lot. I'm not hopeful so late in the game.

OTM - I appreciate it but will pass. If I don't get in on the 6ers, I have a friend ready to trade already. Plus I'm gonna grab a pint or 2 out late tonight.
This year it seemed like it was harder to get. Last year I got a case between DC and Virginia this year it was sold out every where I went. I only managed a 6er and 2 singles this year that I got in MD no less.
RedskinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:20 PM   #978
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinMike View Post
This year it seemed like it was harder to get. Last year I got a case between DC and Virginia this year it was sold out every where I went. I only managed a 6er and 2 singles this year that I got in MD no less.
First time I've gotten it and was told 1 six per person. Thought that was kinda weak...I wanted a 12. The owner told me they got 5 cases and that was small compared to the past couple years.

Another thing I didn't like was I had to ask the counter...they didn't have them out so u had to "know" they were out and the guy went to the cooler. When I asked a guy heard me and said "y'all have some?" And he grabbed a sixer as well.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:12 PM   #979
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Yeah. Seems that everyone is doing an Imperial/Double IPA similar to Hopslam these days, so the best way to get hype to your version is to cut the supply to raise the demand. Bell's has also expanded their distribution, so that could attribute to the seemingly lower supply as well.

My go-to watering hole near home at it on tap, so I went at Happy Hour on Friday and had 3 (!) drafts. Went back with a buddy later that night, and their keg was kicked, so I had some other goodies. Did find out that another place town was waiting a week, so I'll grab another draft or 3 next weekend as well.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
Old 02-17-2016, 10:19 AM   #980
over the mountain
Playmaker

I wasnt too fond of Hopslam. at 10% it was smooth but it seemed a bit muddled ... malt, bitter hop then sweet honey finish.

I only drank a few and will drink a few more this weekend but .. . idk, just not my style i guess. i prefer the pliny/space cake/lunch/enjoy by style of dipas better. more of a floral/citrus hop presence (west coast) .. hopslam just came off as bitter hops with sweet honey.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:22 PM   #981
over the mountain
Playmaker

Sound Check | Clown Shoes | BeerAdvocate

clown shoes coming out w a brand new american ipa. i dont know the hops or brewer log. DTC has it on tap. kinda expensive at 10.99 per 32 oz but im gonna try it.

i really like their galatica ipa.

----------------------

wholly snickies - DTC may have a keg of Maines Lunch today or tomorrow ...

Last edited by over the mountain; 02-18-2016 at 02:18 PM.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:27 PM   #982
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
I wasnt too fond of Hopslam. at 10% it was smooth but it seemed a bit muddled ... malt, bitter hop then sweet honey finish.

I only drank a few and will drink a few more this weekend but .. . idk, just not my style i guess. i prefer the pliny/space cake/lunch/enjoy by style of dipas better. more of a floral/citrus hop presence (west coast) .. hopslam just came off as bitter hops with sweet honey.
I thought the can gave it a too alcohol-y taste

buddy of mine was at Bells brewery on business this week. Sippin it from the keg.

He going to founders brewery today.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:35 PM   #983
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

OTM - Mt Airy Liquors has Lunch on tap now. $25.49 for 64/$12.99 for 32. I've been slammed all week but debating if I can re-arrange some stuff tomorrow to get over there.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:11 AM   #984
over the mountain
Playmaker

BD - nice find. i kinda burned a bridge with DTC last night. this one girl bartender just sucks at filling a growler. she just lets it volcano and never uses a tube. i finally had to say something. as i watch the foam spewing out of the top, i ask her if she can not do that bc it oxidizes the beer to shit. she gives me a FU look and asks if i want it filled again. i say no.

i feel like an asshole.

but at the same time, if you work at a craft beer store pouring expensive beer ... maybe you should learn how and the reason why to do it the right way. use the tube, fill till it starts to foam up. stop go pour a pint for another customer, come back fill some more. done.

anyway, DTC said they have a very special Imperial IPA they are tapping today, a guy i know pretty well wouldnt tell me, i asked if its hopslam and he said it is way better but he wouldnt tell me.
---------------------

called DTC, figured they would tell me the name of this secret imperial once they tapped it .. they said they couldnt tell me the name bc the brewer made them promise not to so the brewer wouldnt get in trouble with other beer stores ... basically, you try it and if you like it, get a growler fill .... this is odd. i left my growlers at home.

Last edited by over the mountain; 02-19-2016 at 03:37 PM.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:48 PM   #985
RedskinMike
Special Teams

Got a good stash right now. Surly Abraisive, Furious, and Overrated IPA; Toppling Goliath Golden Nugget; 2 week old Sucks, Wyerbacher Sunday Morning Stout; Jai Ali, Hopslam ,Flying Dog Cold Pressed Coffee Porter and a bottle of Space Dust.
RedskinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:07 PM   #986
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Went to flying dog brewery today after my son's hockey game in frederick. It was ok.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:08 PM   #987
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Quote:
BD - nice find. i kinda burned a bridge with DTC last night. this one girl bartender just sucks at filling a growler. she just lets it volcano and never uses a tube. i finally had to say something. as i watch the foam spewing out of the top, i ask her if she can not do that bc it oxidizes the beer to shit. she gives me a FU look and asks if i want it filled again. i say no.

i feel like an asshole.

but at the same time, if you work at a craft beer store pouring expensive beer ... maybe you should learn how and the reason why to do it the right way. use the tube, fill till it starts to foam up. stop go pour a pint for another customer, come back fill some more. done.

anyway, DTC said they have a very special Imperial IPA they are tapping today, a guy i know pretty well wouldnt tell me, i asked if its hopslam and he said it is way better but he wouldnt tell me.
---------------------

called DTC, figured they would tell me the name of this secret imperial once they tapped it .. they said they couldnt tell me the name bc the brewer made them promise not to so the brewer wouldnt get in trouble with other beer stores ... basically, you try it and if you like it, get a growler fill .... this is odd. i left my growlers at home.
Don’t sweat it. You are paying good money for that beer, and you want it poured correctly. There is nothing wrong with that. Did you ever find out what IIPA it was? I never did make it to Mt Airy for Lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinMike View Post
Got a good stash right now. Surly Abraisive, Furious, and Overrated IPA; Toppling Goliath Golden Nugget; 2 week old Sucks, Weyerbacher Sunday Morning Stout; Jai Ali, Hopslam ,Flying Dog Cold Pressed Coffee Porter and a bottle of Space Dust.
RM - Nice haul. I have a buddy going to Minneapolis soon. Asked him to bring back any Surly he can. Sucks is always a good one. Jai Alai is awesome. Hopslam was good on draft, didn’t get it out of the can. I’ll be partaking in that FD Coffee Porter at some point. And can’t go wrong with Space Dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Went to flying dog brewery today after my son's hockey game in frederick. It was ok.
What did you have? When I drink FD, I tend to stick with seasonal and rarities. I’m not a big fan of their year round stuff. I live about a mile from there and they host a monthly movie at the Weinberg Center. There is a sandwich shop around the corner from Flying Dog that you should check out next time a.k.a. Friscos | A Gathering Place for the Hungry. Good food and tons of great beers available.

Here’s what I’ve had lately: rar Pulp and Northeast Nectar, BP Mango Even Keel, Devil’s Backbone Cran Gose, Otter Creek Couch Surfer, Left Hand Hard Wired Nitro and Wake Up Dead Nitro, Alpine Hoppy Birthday, Duet, Pure Hoppiness, Burley Oak Bulletproof Tiger, Tree House Alter Ego and Single Shot, Fresh Union Double Duckpin cans.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:31 PM   #988
over the mountain
Playmaker

BD - never did. they were very very tight lipped. i only had a 4 oz pour but it was very good. not a lot of malt/sweetness but not too bitter .. it really attacked my pallette in a great way. my guess is ocelot's (va) talking backwards. it is also 10.8 abv and DTC listed the 4 hops and it seems they were the same hops (if my memory is correct). Plus it looks like ocelot just did a fresh batch at the end of jan.

what i tried matches the reviews.

Talking Backwards Triple IPA | Ocelot Brewing Company | BeerAdvocate

i think DTC went outside the Mo Co gov and just said fuck it, were tapping it. no wonder they were very tight lipped. thats license suspension worthy. even the guy i talk with a lot couldnt tell me.

RM - nice haul, i have some surly furious coming my way along w some real fresh toppling goliaths pseudo sue.

M - yeah, i dont drink a lot of flying dog anymore. not sure why i stopped, just so many great beers out there now.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:01 PM   #989
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Quote:
BD - never did. they were very very tight lipped. i only had a 4 oz pour but it was very good. not a lot of malt/sweetness but not too bitter .. it really attacked my pallette in a great way. my guess is ocelot's (va) talking backwards. it is also 10.8 abv and DTC listed the 4 hops and it seems they were the same hops (if my memory is correct). Plus it looks like ocelot just did a fresh batch at the end of jan.

what i tried matches the reviews.

Talking Backwards Triple IPA | Ocelot Brewing Company | BeerAdvocate

i think DTC went outside the Mo Co gov and just said fuck it, were tapping it. no wonder they were very tight lipped. thats license suspension worthy. even the guy i talk with a lot couldnt tell me.
Pretty damn gutsy and completely not worth the potential trouble or hassle. Unless the county is trying to help get Ocelot into the distribution fold, but I highly doubt it.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:35 PM   #990
over the mountain
Playmaker

Just had my pseudo sue arrive via fed ex to my office ..... with a big fat "this package contains alcohol" sticker on it.

Of course boss was literally right at the front desk when it came and passive aggressive jabs ensued.