Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Trent Williams holding out for new deal

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Should the Redskins pay or trade Trent Williams?
Pay him 34 46.58%
Trade him 39 53.42%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 01:53 PM   #961
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: Trent Williams holding out for new deal

In my opinion the loudest single fact screaming that the medical issue is a dodge from whatever TW's true motivation is, is the fact that the NFLPA has not issued one single press release on TW's behalf, or hammering the Skins for not doing something about the medical staff. I think if there was a there - there, the NFLPA would be vocal about it.

I still think something outside the realm of press releases and leaks are at play here, and I think it's enough to keep TW sidelined.

Advertisements
Old 08-29-2019, 01:57 PM   #962
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Luck walking away because he doesn't want to go through the pain, and Trent walking away out of spite/anger over what he sees as mistreatment are very, very different.

Luck said he had reached the point where the joy of playing the game is gone. Trent has given no such indication that his passion for playing football is gone. Would you spend the last 3-4 good years of your career sitting out, if it was still a passion for you?
He also hasn't shown any indication it is a passion for him. He has been dead silent, so anyone's inferences to his motives is pure speculation, and my speculation is that it was money first, then something happened between BA and Trent in early August that cemented Trent's position of not returning.

Hopefully I am wrong, because the best sight to see against the Eagles would be Trent at LT
Old 08-29-2019, 02:04 PM   #963
Schneed10
A Dude

What you're saying is entirely plausible. But I keep coming back to this: two years, $21M, plus potential for another if tagged, is a lot to give up for a 31 year old. No matter what his beef, he's going to realize he'd rather play than walk away from his prime.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:12 PM   #964
Schneed10
A Dude

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...ding-next-week
Old 08-29-2019, 02:23 PM   #965
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
The plot thickens lol
Old 08-29-2019, 02:58 PM   #966
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
DHalls input was very interesting. Sounds like he has talked with Trent and has good knowledge even if he has to be circumspect.

Also sounds like he is perplexed why we are at this point, and I 100percent agree on that

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2019, 04:43 PM   #967
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
This is the Bruce Allen who completely mismanaged The Kirk cousins issue AND who is considered the least prepared and least TRUSTWORTHY GM in the NFL. I don’t see this ending well for the Redskins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bingo.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:56 PM   #968
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
This is the Bruce Allen who completely mismanaged The Kirk cousins issue AND who is considered the least prepared and least TRUSTWORTHY GM in the NFL. I don’t see this ending well for the Redskins.

Please stop bringing up the Kirk Cousins bullshit, Minnesota paid him 80 mil and he barely got a winning record, with the same 2017 team that went to the playoffs, last year.
R.I.P. #21

Last edited by Ruhskins; 08-29-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:08 PM   #969
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Also, to the armchair GMs I ask you this:

- Do you really want to give a new money contract to an aging/injury-ridden (yet elite) player, when you have a similarly aged player (Kerrigan), who can easily knock on the team's door and demand something similar. Yes, Kerrigan is not elite like Trent, but he's been durable and consistent.

- Do you want to set the precedence of having a star player dictate the front office what to do, in terms of firing people and making team decisions to make the star player happy? Do people remember bitching about Portis, RG3, and other star players going above the coach's head and straight to the owner?

Again, tell me what type of leverage does Trent have? Everyone expects the team to suck, and still this coaching staff has managed to win 14 games in the past two seasons with 50 players on IR. And there is a slight possibility of the team being able to get by with Penn.

Let's say completely worst case scenario, Trent sits out this season and let's play crazy scenario and say that he sits out two seasons. Do people realize that this would mean a savings of $21 mil for the team (or whatever the remaining amount of $$ is in his contract).

The only way Trent has leverage now is if last year's team had stayed healthy, had made it to the playoffs, and had better expectations this season. Other than that, I'm fine with the team letting this continue. Somewhere down this season, a team will get desperate and will offer more than a 1st round for Trent. Or as I said before, he can continue to sit out, and the team gets that money back.
R.I.P. #21
Old 08-29-2019, 06:02 PM   #970
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

When it comes to getting the money back, that is huge in terms of Alex Smiths number next year.

New conspiracy theory:
TW and Skins are in cahoots to save the cap money this year to deal with AS' numbers and they are going to give him Tom Brady type status going forward. Yeah that's it, that's the ticket!
Old 08-29-2019, 07:01 PM   #971
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Man, if we coulda moved TW for a first and walk away with something less...HUGE fuck up

He Gets Us
Old 08-30-2019, 12:05 AM   #972
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Please stop bringing up the Kirk Cousins bullshit, Minnesota paid him 80 mil and he barely got a winning record, with the same 2017 team that went to the playoffs, last year.

I didn’t say Bruce Allen screwed up the Kirk Cousins situation because we should have kept him. I didn’t think Cousins was the franchise QB for the future, AND SO DID Bruce Allen! Once the team decided that he wasn’t that QB of the future and didn’t want to give him the money he wanted IT WAS TIME TO MOVE ON. Giving him franchise money for two more years made the team look indecisive and without a long-term plan. Having a press conference where Bruce Allen calls his QB by HIS WRONG NAME looks amateurish and unprepared.

So the team blew a lot of money on a QB who didn’t want to be here AND we didn’t want!! It didn’t help our record over those two years and the team didn’t use the time to develop a new QB for the future. I’m not even going to discuss the Alex Smith situation.

Here’s where we stand with TW. He has told numerous friends, who told the press: he doesn’t want to play with this team EVER AGAIN. Did something happen this summer between BA and TW? I don’t know but he has told everyone the same thing: I’m NEVER wearing the Redskin uniform again.

Ppl here say we have great leverage with TW? How? The longer we keep him the less we will get. Teams like the Pats have moved forward to fill their LT hole. If he sits out the season, he will have FAR LESS value then right now. He’s made $100 million so far in his career, does losing $21 mill from the Redskins this season suddenly make him desperate? NO! It makes him more pissed than he already is.

It’s time for BA to wake up, grow up and get the best trade that he can NOW. BA is losing this game of chicken and the team needs that first round draft pick (in a trade for TW) next year for the OL. For once BA needs to make the right decision and trade TW now.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Old 08-30-2019, 10:39 AM   #973
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Here’s where we stand with TW. He has told numerous friends, who told the press: he doesn’t want to play with this team EVER AGAIN. Did something happen this summer between BA and TW? I don’t know but he has told everyone the same thing: I’m NEVER wearing the Redskin uniform again.

Ppl here say we have great leverage with TW? How? The longer we keep him the less we will get. Teams like the Pats have moved forward to fill their LT hole. If he sits out the season, he will have FAR LESS value then right now. He’s made $100 million so far in his career, does losing $21 mill from the Redskins this season suddenly make him desperate? NO! It makes him more pissed than he already is.

It’s time for BA to wake up, grow up and get the best trade that he can NOW. BA is losing this game of chicken and the team needs that first round draft pick (in a trade for TW) next year for the OL. For once BA needs to make the right decision and trade TW now.

No one is probably serious about trading for Trent right now (quoting Andrew Brandt, deadlines spur action). It'd be foolish for the team to trade him right now, unless they get a motherload for him.

Also, this is not a situation where the teams can sit and wait for the Redskins to release Trent. As long as Trent is not showing up, he's giving up his salary to the team. If Trent doesn't play for two years straight, he is giving up $21 million to the team.
R.I.P. #21
Old 08-30-2019, 10:40 AM   #974
Number44
Special Teams

Quote:
I didn’t say Bruce Allen screwed up the Kirk Cousins situation because we should have kept him. I didn’t think Cousins was the franchise QB for the future, AND SO DID Bruce Allen! Once the team decided that he wasn’t that QB of the future and didn’t want to give him the money he wanted IT WAS TIME TO MOVE ON. Giving him franchise money for two more years made the team look indecisive and without a long-term plan. Having a press conference where Bruce Allen calls his QB by HIS WRONG NAME looks amateurish and unprepared.

So the team blew a lot of money on a QB who didn’t want to be here AND we didn’t want!! It didn’t help our record over those two years and the team didn’t use the time to develop a new QB for the future. I’m not even going to discuss the Alex Smith situation.

I'm not sure now much of the $100 million he has earned to date he netted after paying representation and taxes, nor how much of it he still has, but it is for sure that his days of earning that kind of money are numbered. Pro athletes generally need to earn as much as they can while they still can. It seems odd to me that anyone would think that $21 million is unimportant to him. Frankly, I agree with the folks who think that represents a tremendous amount of leverage for the Redskins. This is most likely not a season that the Redskins are making a push for a deep playoff run, so I'm not seeing the argument that Trent has a lot of leverage here. Maybe you'll prove to be right, but I'm not seeing it right now.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:16 AM   #975
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number44 View Post
I'm not sure now much of the $100 million he has earned to date he netted after paying representation and taxes, nor how much of it he still has, but it is for sure that his days of earning that kind of money are numbered. Pro athletes generally need to earn as much as they can while they still can. It seems odd to me that anyone would think that $21 million is unimportant to him. Frankly, I agree with the folks who think that represents a tremendous amount of leverage for the Redskins. This is most likely not a season that the Redskins are making a push for a deep playoff run, so I'm not seeing the argument that Trent has a lot of leverage here. Maybe you'll prove to be right, but I'm not seeing it right now.
Ironically, if Trent was showing up and being a malcontent or actually speaking to the media (instead of using JLC as his mouthpiece) about the situation, he'd probably have more leverage. Or if he was playing on the franchise tag.

But as I said before, as long as he is not showing up and keeping quiet, he is not putting any pressure on the team to do anything.
R.I.P. #21
Closed Thread