Non QB pick 3 5.88%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2024, 08:18 AM   #946
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Re: 2024 Early Bird Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
Anyone else wonder if this might be another '83 or '04 class, where we're over thinking it? Everyone looking a Williams as the only viable franchise QB? Trading up could be the worst move considering what it would take away from the rest of the roster. Let someone else pull the pin on that grenade, take best QB on our board at #2, then build the rest of the team around him.
maybe some of our draft experts can help but that is what i have been trying to figure out

where would maye or daniels fall in a prior years draft?

example would they be higher rated then cj and young last year?

Advertisements
Old 02-10-2024, 03:32 PM   #947
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
maybe some of our draft experts can help but that is what i have been trying to figure out

I'm no draft expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Express Inn last night. I think all 3 would be Top 10 picks in just about any draft.

Hopefully we hang at 2 and get the best remaining QB available. And I'd rather trade down than trade up.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 04:43 PM   #948
davy
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
Anyone else wonder if this might be another '83 or '04 class, where we're over thinking it? Everyone looking a Williams as the only viable franchise QB? Trading up could be the worst move considering what it would take away from the rest of the roster. Let someone else pull the pin on that grenade, take best QB on our board at #2, then build the rest of the team around him.
Ask yourself "What would Dan Snyder do?".

He would definitely trade up to get Williams so we know that is the wrong thing to do.

Old 02-10-2024, 09:46 PM   #949
Redskin Jim
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy View Post
Ask yourself "What would Dan Snyder do?".

He would definitely trade up to get Williams so we know that is the wrong thing to do.

🙌🏻THIS💯💯
Old 02-10-2024, 10:05 PM   #950
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I’ve seen enough on Drake Maye. I’m all in folks if Caleb goes #1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2024, 03:45 AM   #951
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post

It is all just opinion in the end, heard a report that Williams and Maye rank just behind Burrow and Luck as prospects since 2012, maybe Lawrence was in there too, high praise indeed but whether it is true is anybody's guess. Apparently teams dont much like the look of next years class, if both are true then expect there to be a scramble for the second tier guys.

Right now I would favour taking Maye, but I don't know anymore about the relative merits of each player than anybody else. Just gonna have to trust in Peters and Quinn. Though I would be uncomfortable if they traded the farm to get to #1, it puts them in a bad place for a 3 year "recalibration" if the QB doesn"t work out.
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 08:55 AM   #952
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
it's not like we'd be reaching. Joe Alt at #2 is reaching. thinking penix is a suitable sub with two bad knees and a shoulder... :/

It's a good QB class and we've got the pick to take advantage of it. And yes, 1 or 2 of those top 3 may not live up to the hype, but saying that's a good reason to never take a shot and condemn the team to mediocrity (or hoping we hit a rodgers or a brady) is probably a much lower percentage play.
I never said never take a shot. I just don't think Caleb or Maye is worth being top 5 picks.

Do suitable subs throw for almost 5,000 yards? And 4,600 the previous year? C'mon. The guy has been healthy for 2 years in a row. Best deep ball thrower I've seen in a real long time, although Daniels is pretty good at it too. We haven't had a great deep ball thrower since Ryp.

Great GM's are risk takers. If I could trade back, get Harrison and also Penix, get my linemen & a TE in the 2nd, I'm going that route. You guys wouldn't do that?

Caleb would be out for me. I would not trade up for him at all simply because there are too many red flags, both on and off the field.

Only saw Maye twice. Was not impressed but if they like him then draft him by all means.

I love Daniels. He just keeps getting better and better and better. He's miles ahead of where he was at Az State. Best duel threat QB in the draft. Doesn't turn the ball over. He has some big boy games against the SEC.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 09:02 AM   #953
skinsfan69
Living Legend

If anyone is old enough to remember that 83 draft class, Todd Blackledge and Tony Eason went above Dan Marino. That pretty much tells you that there is so much luck in drafting players.

Had Marino slipped past the Dolphins, Marino I believe would have been a Redskin.
Old 02-11-2024, 09:10 AM   #954
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Speaking of Marino, I think it was his first year playing, I got to go to a Colts game, they were still in Baltimore and Marino was playing, I think it was his rookie year, not his 2nd 5,000 yard year. We bought an old portible TV that took like 10 batteries so we could watch the Redskins too.

Anyway we were right down on the field and I will never forget watching Marino warm up. He had the best arm and release I have ever seen. He was throwing rockets. It was beautiful to see someone throw a ball like that.
Old 02-11-2024, 09:23 AM   #955
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I never said never take a shot. I just don't think Caleb or Maye is worth being top 5 picks.

Do suitable subs throw for almost 5,000 yards? And 4,600 the previous year? C'mon. The guy has been healthy for 2 years in a row. Best deep ball thrower I've seen in a real long time, although Daniels is pretty good at it too. We haven't had a great deep ball thrower since Ryp.

Great GM's are risk takers. If I could trade back, get Harrison and also Penix, get my linemen & a TE in the 2nd, I'm going that route. You guys wouldn't do that?

Caleb would be out for me. I would not trade up for him at all simply because there are too many red flags, both on and off the field.

Only saw Maye twice. Was not impressed but if they like him then draft him by all means.

I love Daniels. He just keeps getting better and better and better. He's miles ahead of where he was at Az State. Best duel threat QB in the draft. Doesn't turn the ball over. He has some big boy games against the SEC.

Why?

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 11:08 AM   #956
rocnrik
Playmaker

The Only thing I'm against is the Trade up one spot and give up everything for a roll of dice .. knowing our luck we get the flop and the bears get the stud and a lot more !! I would rather trade back let us load up .. but the best thing is to sit and take our guy at number two .. now if I'm the bears I keep Fields and trade back 6-7 spots for the haul!!!
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 11:12 AM   #957
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Why?
I don't think Caleb will play within the confines of an NFL offense. He wants to play hero ball too much. It works fine in college cause of his athletic ability. But once an NFL defensive coordinator defends him w/ NFL athletes I think his game will struggle. He'll throw late, he'll want to scramble when he won't need to and so on.

If I were the Bears I would stick w/ Fields cause I don't think Caleb will be any better. Or that much better.

I see a lot of RG3 in Caleb. Poor mechanics, great athlete, obsessed w/ his brand, massive hype machine and most importantly, his style will struggle at the next level.

Maye? Like I said I only saw two of his games. But what is his signature moment? In every great college player I want to see that game where he has the "it" game. He played like crap against NC State? Clemson? You gotta do it against the best teams in your conference and I didn't see anything against those two.

What I like about Daniels is he just got better. And kept getting better. Maybe that will happen w/ Maye but taking him at #2 is overdrafting him, but teams do it every year.
Old 02-11-2024, 11:19 AM   #958
skinsfan69
Living Legend

That is another reason why I like Penix. I can get him later on in the draft, I can get more picks by moving down and get possibly a great player or two to go along w/ him. I'd take a chance on the injury thing and build up my team w/ my extra picks. Harrison would look good along side Terry and Jahon. I'll play Jacoby for a while with my improved line and attack my needs on D in free agency.

There are so many good skill players in this draft. We could move back and possibly get Harrison and a elite TE and a future star at QB.
Old 02-11-2024, 02:51 PM   #959
VTSkins1961
Special Teams

I'd stay at #2 and draft best available QB. I like Maye better than Daniels but would be okay with either
VTSkins1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 03:13 PM   #960
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

The obsession with moving down just for the sake of doing it, needs to be studied.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote