Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Trent Williams holding out for new deal

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Should the Redskins pay or trade Trent Williams?
Pay him 34 46.58%
Trade him 39 53.42%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 10:29 AM   #946
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Re: Trent Williams holding out for new deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
They were rumored to been out after being denied a 1st for Trent..

The latest rumor was Houston for Clowney but that has faded fast too so I guess Trent isn't going anywhere
That one doesn't make sense to me. Clowney is holding out for his big payday, that second contract. If you do not want to pay Williams, you sure do not want to pay Clowney.

Clowney is looking for Von Miller type money.

Advertisements
Old 08-29-2019, 10:33 AM   #947
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
That's why he is smirking while talking, he knows Trent has to show up to get paid.. Yeah he's made great $ in his career but that is still a ton of $ to be leaving on the table..

Also Trent has 2 years left right? There is no chance he sits 2 years lol lets be real here and he knows that too. By the time that comes around he'd be 33 years old and not played in 2 full seasons... Nobody would want him.

Trent will show up before week 3 that's my guess.
Allen has resting 'shit eating grin' face.

But yeah it makes no sense. I don't understand why people believe Trent has any leverage. His choices are:

- as you say, sit for two years and give up $21M, hit the market and try to get a deal at 33 having not played in two years. All the while risking that the Redskins might just franchise tag him anyway.

- sit for 10 games, come back just in time to accrue another NFL season towards his pension, giving up $7M in the process, yet still under team control for another year, so skip the first 10 games again maybe in 2020, giving up another $7M

- play this year, earn $11M, and restart the crusade next year when he's in his last year of his deal and will have more leverage. But the leverage is still limited, because of the prospect of the franchise tag.

- play both years, earn $21M, hit free agency or get tagged by the skins and earn a top 5 salary in his 34 yo year

No matter how you look at it, skipping games is tantamount to shooting himself in the foot out of principle.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:48 AM   #948
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post

But yeah it makes no sense. I don't understand why people believe Trent has any leverage. His choices are:

- as you say, sit for two years and give up $21M, hit the market and try to get a deal at 33 having not played in two years. All the while risking that the Redskins might just franchise tag him anyway.

- sit for 10 games, come back just in time to accrue another NFL season towards his pension, giving up $7M in the process, yet still under team control for another year, so skip the first 10 games again maybe in 2020, giving up another $7M

- play this year, earn $11M, and restart the crusade next year when he's in his last year of his deal and will have more leverage. But the leverage is still limited, because of the prospect of the franchise tag.

- play both years, earn $21M, hit free agency or get tagged by the skins and earn a top 5 salary in his 34 yo year

No matter how you look at it, skipping games is tantamount to shooting himself in the foot out of principle.

Also we have not heard one peep from Trent himself on Social media or any quotes from the media. He has not said anything about "Not playing for the redskins" . Unless I missed it.

That gives me some hope.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:00 AM   #949
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Also we have not heard one peep from Trent himself on Social media or any quotes from the media. He has not said anything about "Not playing for the redskins" . Unless I missed it.

That gives me some hope.
Exactly. If you were really going to war over principle, that's where you'd take it. He'll be back, I'm as certain of it as I am of anything.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:04 AM   #950
Number44
Special Teams

Quote:

If he sits for 2 years, isn't he still obligated to the Redskins for 2 years? I thought if he sits out the 2 years, he's pretty much retiring unless he comes back to the Redskins. Do I have that wrong?
Old 08-29-2019, 11:37 AM   #951
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number44 View Post
If he sits for 2 years, isn't he still obligated to the Redskins for 2 years? I thought if he sits out the 2 years, he's pretty much retiring unless he comes back to the Redskins. Do I have that wrong?
Yes you have that wrong. The contract binds Trent to the team for two years. If he doesn't attend mandatory team events per the contract (Camps practices meetings and games) then the Redskins can withhold pay, per the contract.

But once the two years are up, he's a free agent, regardless of whether he played or sat.

The franchise tag is the element in this that really takes all of Trent's leverage away. While Trent may appear to have some strength in threatening to withhold his services, he'd have to sacrifice $21M to do so, and STILL may not reach free agency because the Redskins could just tag him. Then he'd have to sit out his age 34 season, too.

And by that point you might as well be retired. His realization will come any day now. He will realize he either plays with the Redskins for the few years he has left in his career, or he will have to effectively retire.

Bruce is right, I don't see Trent retiring. And that's the crux of it. When you hold the ultimate hammer in the franchise tag, even principled stances can't hold up.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:43 AM   #952
Number44
Special Teams

Quote:
Yes you have that wrong. The contract binds Trent to the team for two years. If he doesn't attend mandatory team events per the contract (Camps practices meetings and games) then the Redskins can withhold pay, per the contract.

But once the two years are up, he's a free agent, regardless of whether he played or sat.

The franchise tag is the element in this that really takes all of Trent's leverage away. While Trent may appear to have some strength in threatening to withhold his services, he'd have to sacrifice $21M to do so, and STILL may not reach free agency because the Redskins could just tag him. Then he'd have to sit out his age 34 season, too.

And by that point you might as well be retired. His realization will come any day now. He will realize he either plays with the Redskins for the few years he has left in his career, or he will have to effectively retire.

Bruce is right, I don't see Trent retiring. And that's the crux of it. When you hold the ultimate hammer in the franchise tag, even principled stances can't hold up.
OK, thanks.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:09 PM   #953
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
That all said, I don't have great confidence that he's maintaining a good relationship with Trent. So I worry what will happen when Trent reaches free agency. He may walk.

But if there ever was a player the franchise tag was meant for, it's probably Trent.
This is where my issue is. I believe that TW started this to make a point as a team leader, that he was ok missing reps that for him were fairly meaningless, and he would have been back. BUT I believe (no proof) that BA went to TW in early August, after JG's press conference at the start of training camp, and said that the Skins could and would fine him regular season game checks for missing preseason games(allowable under the current cba), and THAT is when the conversation turned sour. There was a clear point that AP and Morgan Moses came out and drew the line, I believe that's when TW said f you to BA.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:16 PM   #954
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
This is where my issue is. I believe that TW started this to make a point as a team leader, that he was ok missing reps that for him were fairly meaningless, and he would have been back. BUT I believe (no proof) that BA went to TW in early August, after JG's press conference at the start of training camp, and said that the Skins could and would fine him regular season game checks for missing preseason games(allowable under the current cba), and THAT is when the conversation turned sour. There was a clear point that AP and Morgan Moses came out and drew the line, I believe that's when TW said f you to BA.
But how 'loud' a F YOU was it?

Loud enough to give up $21M and risk still getting franchised?
Old 08-29-2019, 12:16 PM   #955
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

At 50million earned, assuming he didn't fritter it away, which is a big assumption, I think he will walk away. Luck just did. This isn't the NFL where star players make 12M over a career. He has been hurt the last few years, played through serious issues, IF he feels like he isn't being respected (note not fairly, not decently, but respected and that is where BA loses the guys because he does things that are clearly disrespectful) then TW is not going to come back
Old 08-29-2019, 01:40 PM   #956
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:

That gives me some hope.
A while back, Sheehan said one of his friends who is a lawyer suggested that the reason Trent hasn't spoken publicly is that the reports simply aren't true. If the medical staff DID handle his situation appropriately, and Trent himself accused them of not doing so, the skins could (and given their litigious nature, likely would), sue him for libel.

The fact that the skins have not made any changes to, and continue to support, the medical staff lends to the belief that they did their jobs exactly like they were supposed to.

Which means there are only two possibilities which i consider realistic:

1) This is really ALL about money, in which case I applaud Allen for not caving. Trent will either show up and get paid or he wont. Either way, Allen is smart for not setting a precedent where players can hold out, leak false stories to the media that make the team look bad, and then get rewarded for it.

2) The medical issue is really of primary concern to Trent, but he's unreasonable in his criticism. In which case I still applaud Allen for remaining loyal to his staff.

Regardless, the team - and Allen specifically - has showed tremendous loyalty to Trent over the years. Its a shame Trent is choosing not to reciprocate that loyalty, but at the end of the day, this is a business and all sides are going to act in ways which they believe are for their own best interests.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:47 PM   #957
Warthog
The Starter

This is the Bruce Allen who completely mismanaged The Kirk cousins issue AND who is considered the least prepared and least TRUSTWORTHY GM in the NFL. I don’t see this ending well for the Redskins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Old 08-29-2019, 01:51 PM   #958
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
At 50million earned, assuming he didn't fritter it away, which is a big assumption, I think he will walk away. Luck just did. This isn't the NFL where star players make 12M over a career. He has been hurt the last few years, played through serious issues, IF he feels like he isn't being respected (note not fairly, not decently, but respected and that is where BA loses the guys because he does things that are clearly disrespectful) then TW is not going to come back
Luck walking away because he doesn't want to go through the pain, and Trent walking away out of spite/anger over what he sees as mistreatment are very, very different.

Luck said he had reached the point where the joy of playing the game is gone. Trent has given no such indication that his passion for playing football is gone. Would you spend the last 3-4 good years of your career sitting out, if it was still a passion for you?
Old 08-29-2019, 01:52 PM   #959
Schneed10
A Dude

"Schneed was right."

- everyone on The Warpath on 9/8/2019
Old 08-29-2019, 01:53 PM   #960
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
A while back, Sheehan said one of his friends who is a lawyer suggested that the reason Trent hasn't spoken publicly is that the reports simply aren't true. If the medical staff DID handle his situation appropriately, and Trent himself accused them of not doing so, the skins could (and given their litigious nature, likely would), sue him for libel.

The fact that the skins have not made any changes to, and continue to support, the medical staff lends to the belief that they did their jobs exactly like they were supposed to.

Which means there are only two possibilities which i consider realistic:

1) This is really ALL about money, in which case I applaud Allen for not caving. Trent will either show up and get paid or he wont. Either way, Allen is smart for not setting a precedent where players can hold out, leak false stories to the media that make the team look bad, and then get rewarded for it.

2) The medical issue is really of primary concern to Trent, but he's unreasonable in his criticism. In which case I still applaud Allen for remaining loyal to his staff.

Regardless, the team - and Allen specifically - has showed tremendous loyalty to Trent over the years. Its a shame Trent is choosing not to reciprocate that loyalty, but at the end of the day, this is a business and all sides are going to act in ways which they believe are for their own best interests.
Nailed it