Let's talk good beer

Parking Lot

Old 01-07-2016, 11:07 AM   #931
over the mountain
Playmaker

Re: Let's talk good beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
I’m getting a small sample of his load: Heady Topper, Tree House Julius, Sap, & Eureka, Lawson Sip of Sunshine and Special Session #2, and Fiddlehead Second Fiddle. I’m really excited as I’ve only had half of these beers (heady, julius, sip).
Dang, nice score.

I like the Corruption, there arent enough good piney beers avail in MD imo. plus you can normally find it brewed within 30 days. with that said, i havent gotten it in a while.

for NYE we had neighborhood kids over so it was kinda tame alcohol wise. champagne and maybe some bells two hearted? the champagne kinda got me though.
-----------------------------------------

NEW RELEASES -- apparently Sierra Nevadas beer camp "tropical" IPA is on shelves in MD today. While this has the beer camp label ive read this is not a collab. Also a bit early for a spring seasonal release ... im stopping by tonight to get some.

Sierra Nevada - 2016 Beer Camp - Tropical IPA | Community | BeerAdvocate

NEW LOCAL BREWERY - 7 locks brewery. gonna have to stop by for a flight.

7 Locks Brewing Home - 7 Locks Brewing

Last edited by over the mountain; 01-07-2016 at 02:40 PM.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-08-2016, 10:54 AM   #932
over the mountain
Playmaker

SN tropical IPA is a really good tropical ipa. kind of a more bitter grapefruit sculpin. also really fresh right now w a dob of 12-9-15. at 17.99 a 12 pack, highly recommend.

Manor Hill IPA - ive had manor hill at victorias before and thought it was okay but i got a sixer of cans last night and wow .. looks, tastes and feels like a dipa. really well balanced. dob of 12-17-15 is awesome. at 14.99 a sixer, highly recommend. thanks for keeping mentioning this BD, i had kinda written off manor hill as decent but not great.

Maryland beers are really starting to step up.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:22 PM   #933
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Going to do a mixed case with some friends next weekend of SN Tropical, 21st Marooned on Hog Island, and 2 others (maybe some more Manor Hill IPA) . Need to replenish the fund after the haul I'm getting tonight.

Heard 7 Locks is just ok. It's up the street from my wife's Aunt's house, so next time we visit, I'll wander over.

Yeah, I've liked their beers. Ben (Twitter @Here4DaBeer) does a great job. Their DIPA Citra Splendor is really juicy. Their canned IPA tastes better than what I had on tap...I wonder if they changed it up a bit? Either way, they're spitting off more cans today, hitting shelves next week.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:28 PM   #934
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

A buddy of mine does a bit of beer blogging. Nothing serious, just stuff that he's drank and his reactions. Latest entry is Day 1 of the Brewery Crawl we did in October:
Old Line Beer - Living the Beer Dream in Maryland

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
Old 01-08-2016, 04:15 PM   #935
MTK
\m/

Been on a bit of a beer hiatus lately, but I plan on getting back in the game this weekend. Hard.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:08 PM   #936
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Here is the bone yard pic from my Friday night, which was shared among several friends

Celebrated a friend's 40th birthday Saturday night. Had a black rye IPA at Capital City Brewing Company, then had Bell's Java Stout and Bear Republic Racer 5 at RFD. Today, got to try Bell's Milchkaffe and popped my growler of rar Farmhouse Nectar (Their flagship IPA done with saison yeast).

I may have to take a day or 2 off to recover.

Old 01-11-2016, 04:17 PM   #937
RedskinMike
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
Here is the bone yard pic from my Friday night, which was shared among several friends

Celebrated a friend's 40th birthday Saturday night. Had a black rye IPA at Capital City Brewing Company, then had Bell's Java Stout and Bear Republic Racer 5 at RFD. Today, got to try Bell's Milchkaffe and popped my growler of rar Farmhouse Nectar (Their flagship IPA done with saison yeast).

I may have to take a day or 2 off to recover.
I'm most intrigued by the Hill Farmstead growler in the back.
RedskinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:44 PM   #938
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinMike View Post
I'm most intrigued by the Hill Farmstead growler in the back.
Unfortunately, that was from a previous trip my buddy made. He usually makes a Hill Farmstead stop, but didn't fit it in this time. He makes 2-3 trips to visit the in-laws in New Haven, CT each year, and chases the Heady trucks all over Northern Vermont for a few days while up there.

We did split a growler of New England's Locust Reign to start the evening. And that was quite tasty.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:45 PM   #939
over the mountain
Playmaker

heavy seas double cannon - disappointing imo. came off as a strong ale instead of a dipa or imperial. kind of a malty muddled mess with no good real taste point sticking out.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:14 PM   #940
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

I love Heavy Seas' bombers. Their uncharted series is top notch. But their regular beers are meh. Loose Cannon is ok. Cross Bones is ok. Gold and Cutlass are ok. Nothing they do on the regular is anything I want to have on the regular.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:16 AM   #941
over the mountain
Playmaker

I am going to start home brewing.

I need some kind of activity for me and my daughter to do during the next few months of winter.

Anyone home brew or have suggestions on a good starter kit?

Im thinking I just want to get a simple set up and dabble for a few months to see if i like it. then, if i want to pursue it for real, drop a couple hundred on some real equipment. I have decent space in my back utility room/work space area.

Amazon.com: Monster Brew Home Brewing Supp Complete Beer Equipment Kit (K6) with 6 Gallon Glass Carboy, Gold: Kitchen & Dining

^^$90 bucks, good reviews.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:24 AM   #942
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
I am going to start home brewing.

I need some kind of activity for me and my daughter to do during the next few months of winter.

Anyone home brew or have suggestions on a good starter kit?

Im thinking I just want to get a simple set up and dabble for a few months to see if i like it. then, if i want to pursue it for real, drop a couple hundred on some real equipment. I have decent space in my back utility room/work space area.

Amazon.com: Monster Brew Home Brewing Supp Complete Beer Equipment Kit (K6) with 6 Gallon Glass Carboy, Gold: Kitchen & Dining

^^$90 bucks, good reviews.
Seriously? Now your daughter is helping in your addiction.

Bro, come on.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:57 AM   #943
MTK
\m/

Let's talk good beer

I helped my Dad make wine when I was a kid. I don't see anything wrong with it myself.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:10 AM   #944
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I helped my Dad make wine when I was a kid. I don't see anything wrong with it myself.
Its none of my business and I should not have commented. I just think OTM is a great guy that needs some help. Its a little deeper then just making some beer.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:03 PM   #945
metalskins
The Starter

I can't say that I know the process of microbrewing at home. But, to me, it seems like it would be a little more involved than making wine. Maybe it isn't though. My brother-in-law was into wine making for a little while. At one point, he had considered opening a vineyard, but decided against it.

I've become such a craft beer snob now, that I almost can't even stomach the taste of Coors or Budweiser anymore.