Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Trent Williams holding out for new deal

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Should the Redskins pay or trade Trent Williams?
Pay him 34 46.58%
Trade him 39 53.42%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 03:10 PM   #931
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Re: Trent Williams holding out for new deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
You are exactly right, the team wouldn’t move on from Cousins, nor pay him what he wanted, which ended up being the worst scenario.

I don’t see how the Redskins are in the driver seat with TW. Trent has made it abundantly clear he is very happy to sit out the season to make his point by being traded. The team can get a good or very good deal before the first game of the season, IF they do something. But I’ll can also see them taking the worst path, as with Cousins, by not biting the bullet and getting on with it. They can use the PR line, “waiting for a better deal” or “we know Trent will come back to us”. Or both at the same time, which is what they are doing now.

Denying any trade rumors and hoping to “force” TW to come back to the field as a Redskin. This will be the worst course of action and frankly, about what I’d suspect from Snyder and BA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Redskins have until the trade deadline to deal Williams. You never know if there is a team out there who is willing to pay the price. I'm sure there will be one team that's willing to do it, especially if it means helping them in a playoff run.

I could be completely wrong on this, but if Trent doesn't play this year, that cap space can be carried over to the next year, so that's a plus for the team IMO (again, I could be completely wrong on this).

You could make the case that once the trade deadline happens, the team loses leverage, but I still think the 2020 NFL draft would be the absolute deadline to trade Williams. If it goes that far.

Finally, I a lot of people thought this team was going to be bad, so I don't know how a bad season goes in favor of Williams. Even if the team goes a mediocre 8-8, that won't help TW in his situation.

As I said, I'm fine with the team sitting and waiting.
R.I.P. #21

Advertisements
Old 08-27-2019, 03:38 PM   #932
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I'm actually a little pissed we turned down the first rounder now. What's going to happen is he'll stand pat, lose that money, and we'll be scrounging around to MAYBE get a fourth rounder for him....... from the Pats.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:52 PM   #933
Irrefutable
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
I'm actually a little pissed we turned down the first rounder now. What's going to happen is he'll stand pat, lose that money, and we'll be scrounging around to MAYBE get a fourth rounder for him....... from the Pats.

New England has 12 picks and if they want him the Redskins should get multiple picks.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:10 PM   #934
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

That would be very anti-Redskins for them to actually get what the value should be. :/
Old 08-27-2019, 04:16 PM   #935
Irrefutable
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
That would be very anti-Redskins for them to actually get what the value should be. :/
The Redskins have the leverage, they should get a decent return. And the fact they have not rushed into a trade is ground for optimism.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:48 AM   #936
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Bruce on Trent" I think Trent will show up and play football"

According to JP Finlay, the team has no plans on trading Trent.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:48 AM   #937
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Patriots trade for an OL yesterday with Ravens. Wonder if that takes them out of the trade partner field for Williams.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...aine-eluemunor
Old 08-29-2019, 09:07 AM   #938
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
Patriots trade for an OL yesterday with Ravens. Wonder if that takes them out of the trade partner field for Williams.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...aine-eluemunor
They were rumored to been out after being denied a 1st for Trent..

The latest rumor was Houston for Clowney but that has faded fast too so I guess Trent isn't going anywhere
Old 08-29-2019, 09:13 AM   #939
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

If we were trading in preseason, the time would have been the week before the 3rd game to give TW a chance to get set with the new team. At this point the next milestone will be the trading deadline, if a team has a severe injury at LT before that.

BA is border line delusional if he thinks Trent is coming back this year.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:22 AM   #940
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
If we were trading in preseason, the time would have been the week before the 3rd game to give TW a chance to get set with the new team. At this point the next milestone will be the trading deadline, if a team has a severe injury at LT before that.

BA is border line delusional if he thinks Trent is coming back this year.
Maybe he will come back , who knows.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:30 AM   #941
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Maybe he will come back , who knows.
In today's NFL teams can't pin the season on a player coming back. Especially not one who has stated he is going to sit out AND has the financial resources to do it.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:46 AM   #942
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Agree Cred the FO has been flat out delusional about the franchise from it's players to how the fan base feels about the team. Maybe it is the pessimist in me but I have zero faith he will be back.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:19 AM   #943
Schneed10
A Dude

So this is going to sound weird to say, but I've got to applaud Bruce for how he's handling this. Won't trade Trent. Won't waver. Just confident that if he waits this out, Trent will show up.

He's got $21M on the line over the next two years that offer plenty of incentive to show up, and Bruce knows it.

Now if Trent actually doesn't show and actually does shoot himself in the wallet and sit for principle (I don't believe it) then my praise of Allen is premature. But if Trent really intended to go to war in order to free himself from the Skins I think he'd be speaking out.

Allen is playing this game of chicken properly. He knows he holds the cards.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:21 AM   #944
Schneed10
A Dude

That all said, I don't have great confidence that he's maintaining a good relationship with Trent. So I worry what will happen when Trent reaches free agency. He may walk.

But if there ever was a player the franchise tag was meant for, it's probably Trent.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:25 AM   #945
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
So this is going to sound weird to say, but I've got to applaud Bruce for how he's handling this. Won't trade Trent. Won't waver. Just confident that if he waits this out, Trent will show up.

He's got $21M on the line over the next two years that offer plenty of incentive to show up, and Bruce knows it.

Now if Trent actually doesn't show and actually does shoot himself in the wallet and sit for principle (I don't believe it) then my praise of Allen is premature. But if Trent really intended to go to war in order to free himself from the Skins I think he'd be speaking out.

Allen is playing this game of chicken properly. He knows he holds the cards.
That's why he is smirking while talking, he knows Trent has to show up to get paid.. Yeah he's made great $ in his career but that is still a ton of $ to be leaving on the table..

Also Trent has 2 years left right? There is no chance he sits 2 years lol lets be real here and he knows that too. By the time that comes around he'd be 33 years old and not played in 2 full seasons... Nobody would want him.

Trent will show up before week 3 that's my guess.
Closed Thread