Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Let's talk good beer

Parking Lot

Old 12-14-2015, 01:51 PM   #916
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Re: Let's talk good beer

I'll 2nd Oskar Blues IPA. Good stuff. Definitely a different vibe from it, which I equated to the Aussie hops.

Death by Coconut is definitely not for everyone. I can see someone not liking it. I'm enjoying it though.

Spent Saturday afternoon at my current fave MD Brewery, rar, in Cambridge. My friend got a few flights, while I stuck with pints. I had 2 of their Farmhouse Nectar, which was very good. Kinda like a saison meets an IPA. 7.4%. I got a Boba Fett growler with this in it to share with friends. Also had a blackberry saison that was very good as well.

One of my buddies got a gift from his sister who was in Chicago last week. Half Acre Daisy Cutter, Three Floyds Alpha Klaus, and Ska Brewing Mole Stout. So between those and my growler, we have some good drinkin' to do.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-15-2015, 05:31 PM   #917
MTK
\m/

Just picked up some of the OB IPA, along with a couple of bottles of Bourbon County '15.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:41 AM   #918
over the mountain
Playmaker

got a growler of alpine pure hoppiness yesterday, really good, 4.5/5.
---------------------
nice find - DTC had bottles of alpine's duet. real fresh. i like alpine's line up. still havent had nelson yet.

Last edited by over the mountain; 12-18-2015 at 10:56 AM.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:15 PM   #919
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Just found out my beer store tapped Maine - Lunch the other day...time to get the growler filled.

Folks, is there a preference "glass ware" you break out for drinking good beer? For the last 6 months I've been using wide mouth mason jars and its great. keeps the beers surprising cold and the wide mouth drinks for maximum consumption when I need to go there( i.e. listening to an annoying conversation by a semi-girlfriend, watching the opposing team score a touchdown against the skins)
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:23 PM   #920
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Just found out my beer store tapped Maine - Lunch the other day...time to get the growler filled.

Folks, is there a preference "glass ware" you break out for drinking good beer? For the last 6 months I've been using wide mouth mason jars and its great. keeps the beers surprising cold and the wide mouth drinks for maximum consumption when I need to go there( i.e. listening to an annoying conversation by a semi-girlfriend, watching the opposing team score a touchdown against the skins)
better hope they still lunch left. stuff goes quick. on tap .. im drooling.

i prefer a tulip glass but i drink mostly american ipas and practically stick my nose in the head right after the pour. i love that new pour smell. if not that, a straight or nonic pint glass is fine. sometimes i drink straight from the bottle just to see if there is a difference and there is imo. the pour done right creates a needed chemical reaction .. plus you cant stick your nose in a bottle.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:19 PM   #921
MTK
\m/

There's a Maine beer event going on today at my local watering hole. Lunch, Mo, Peeper, and Zoe. On the fence as to whether I want to go or not, chilly day out. Feels like a stay at home kinda night. We'll see.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:20 PM   #922
fbirks
Camp Scrub

Spiegelau 2-Pack Beer Classics IPA Glass, 19-Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BTPUT3S..._qKYDwbVRT33MX

These beer glasses are sweet - very thin glass but sturdy

fbirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:51 AM   #923
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbirks View Post
Spiegelau 2-Pack Beer Classics IPA Glass, 19-Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BTPUT3S..._qKYDwbVRT33MX

These beer glasses are sweet - very thin glass but sturdy
Yeah, I peeped those...thanks for your endorsement. Im probably grab them after the holidays, my wallet is getting killed this Christmas.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:37 PM   #924
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

I have a cabinet full of pint glasses from various places, but my go-to glass is usually the goblet I got at Flying Dog.

For smaller pours, I have a snifter beer glass I got from the Maryland Craft Beer Festival.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
Old 12-22-2015, 09:37 AM   #925
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post

I have six of these and always in the refrigerator (not freezer)

The Mighty Pint by Berkshire | Berkshire Brewing Company
Old 12-22-2015, 02:09 PM   #926
over the mountain
Playmaker

Budweiser buys Breckenridge. Good luck with that Budweiser. Breck is not good imo and tends to sit on shelves w no real movement.

Anheuser Busch-InBev Buys Third Craft Brewer in 5 Days - Fortune
Old 12-22-2015, 02:17 PM   #927
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
Budweiser buys Breckenridge. Good luck with that Budweiser. Breck is not good imo and tends to sit on shelves w no real movement.

Anheuser Busch-InBev Buys Third Craft Brewer in 5 Days - Fortune

Tried their vanilla porter once and it was just meh. Love how Bud makes commercials ragging on craft beer, all while buying up craft breweries. Fuck them and their piss water.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:45 PM   #928
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

I had their imperial vanilla porter last night and it was a bit sweet. I don't run into their stuff too often.

Bigger guys will continue to buy up the smaller guys to keep their part of the market secured. Smaller guys will continue to take the money in hopes that they continue to have creative freedom.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:11 PM   #929
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Breckinridge is one of those breweries in the late 90s I cut my teeth on...I fondly remember the grateful dead lighting bolt on the label on the original label..oatmeal stout used to be their big beer..porter mentioned above became big.

But one of my all time favorite beers was their trademark pale ale. Just awesome...don't really see it much around for last 5 years...
Old 01-06-2016, 01:29 PM   #930
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Let’s see…what have I had the last few days…

NYE dinner was at an awesome pizza shop in Kensington, MD called Frankly Pizza. The owner’s wife used to work with my wife, so we’ve watched the business grow from an idea to a mobile unit to a booming brick and mortar. They have 4 beers and 4 wines on tap. I had DC Brau’s The Corruption and Starr Hill Snow Blind. I just can’t get into DC Brau. The beers of theirs I’ve had just aren’t that good to me. Snow Blind was great. Actually helped balance the heat from the pizzas I had (pickled jalapeños do the trick).

Spent the ball drop with some friends. Had fresh cans of Manor Hill IPA, which is one of the better MD IPAs out there. Helped share in my friend’s 4 Hands Chocolate Milk Stout Variety Gift Pack. Already had OG, so we had the Tiki and Horchata versions. Quite tasty. We also split a 4 Hands/Stone/Bale Breaker Sorry Not Sorry, which was decent. Most of the Stone collabs seems to be just ok. Points Unknown I think is still my fave. Looking forward to NXS though.

Had a flight at my favorite beach watering hole on Saturday. Oskar Blue Hotbox Coffee Porter, Magic Hat Snow Roller, Mispillion River Praetor, Troegs Mad Elf, and 2 in house brews, a winter warmer and a pale ale.

Getting some New England goodies from a friend of mine this weekend. He made his holiday trip to see the in-laws in CT and goes on a Heady hunt. I’m getting a small sample of his load: Heady Topper, Tree House Julius, Sap, & Eureka, Lawson Sip of Sunshine and Special Session #2, and Fiddlehead Second Fiddle. I’m really excited as I’ve only had half of these beers (heady, julius, sip).