Merged: The Movies Thread

Parking Lot

Old 04-29-2010, 07:16 PM   #916
itvnetop
Playmaker

Re: Merged: The Movies Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post
Me n the wife saw kick ass last nite and thought it sucked ass.The scenes with an 11 yr old girl brutally murdering somebody and cussing just didnt sit right with us.{But I have to admit the cock joke was funny}And while shes murdering people there were people hysterically laughing,and me and my wife are looking at each other dumbfounded as to what was so damn funny,it didnt matter that its a child doing it,I dont think the scene was meant to be funny.It wasnt all bad,but it wasnt enjoyable to us.
Just watched the at the movie guys review and it was exactly how I felt
At the Movies
I guess it's funny because of how absurd the scenes are. Kind of like Kill-Bill- tons of limbs and heads being cut off within seconds, but because everything is so over-the-top it's not suppose to be taken seriously. But I'm in no way de-legitimzing your reactions to the film at all... just providing the other side.

The actress playing Hit Girl seems to be aware of the script's context and it seems her family made the conscious decision to accept the role after reading it. I previously saw her play a very mature younger sister in (500) Days of Summer and she's slated to play the main vampire girl in the American remake of "Let the Right One In" (an excellent, but bloody, film itself).

I read an interesting comparison about how child actors/actresses take on different lives from what they play in the movies. Drew Barrymore, Corey Haim and Macauley Caulkin played in innocent, playful roles when they were younger (aside from Caulkin's Good Son, he was mostly cast in stuff like Home Alone and My Girl). These kids went through some rough personal stuff as they grew older. You take a look at the recent young talent that chooses "mature" roles (Dakota Fanning, Chloe Moretz) and although it's too early to tell, it seems they're way more adjusted to the real world than their earlier peers and their parents are actually involved with their upbringing (beyond exploiting them for fame and money). My buddy met Moretz (Hit Girl) backstage at ComicCon this year and said she was super polite and her parents were with her the whole time... Of course this isn't a scientific study proving any real correlation- but just an observation.

my blather
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-29-2010, 08:29 PM   #917
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
I guess it's funny because of how absurd the scenes are. Kind of like Kill-Bill- tons of limbs and heads being cut off within seconds, but because everything is so over-the-top it's not suppose to be taken seriously. But I'm in no way de-legitimzing your reactions to the film at all... just providing the other side.

The actress playing Hit Girl seems to be aware of the script's context and it seems her family made the conscious decision to accept the role after reading it. I previously saw her play a very mature younger sister in (500) Days of Summer and she's slated to play the main vampire girl in the American remake of "Let the Right One In" (an excellent, but bloody, film itself).

I read an interesting comparison about how child actors/actresses take on different lives from what they play in the movies. Drew Barrymore, Corey Haim and Macauley Caulkin played in innocent, playful roles when they were younger (aside from Caulkin's Good Son, he was mostly cast in stuff like Home Alone and My Girl). These kids went through some rough personal stuff as they grew older. You take a look at the recent young talent that chooses "mature" roles (Dakota Fanning, Chloe Moretz) and although it's too early to tell, it seems they're way more adjusted to the real world than their earlier peers and their parents are actually involved with their upbringing (beyond exploiting them for fame and money). My buddy met Moretz (Hit Girl) backstage at ComicCon this year and said she was super polite and her parents were with her the whole time... Of course this isn't a scientific study proving any real correlation- but just an observation.

A must see movie! You can stream it on Netflix. she be great for that role!
Old 05-06-2010, 01:12 PM   #918
MTK
\m/

Anyone going to see Iron Man 2 this weekend? I've heard mixed reviews so far, seems like it's not going to be as good as the first one.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:06 PM   #919
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Anyone going to see Iron Man 2 this weekend? I've heard mixed reviews so far, seems like it's not going to be as good as the first one.

I like too but my mom day plans may throw a wrench in seeing it this weekend. Not a bad thing I just may need to wait a bit.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #920
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
I guess it's funny because of how absurd the scenes are. Kind of like Kill-Bill- tons of limbs and heads being cut off within seconds, but because everything is so over-the-top it's not suppose to be taken seriously.
saw kick ass, it was alright.

if you really wanna see a kill bill meets looney toons movie, you gotta check out Kung Fu Hustle. the movie is just plain awesome. its what kickass tried to be but with more style and alot funnier dialogue.

Kung Fu Hustle. I own 2 copies, one is the chinesse version the other is an english dub version.

Kung Fu Hustle kicks ass.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:19 PM   #921
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
saw kick ass, it was alright.

if you really wanna see a kill bill meets looney toons movie, you gotta check out Kung Fu Hustle. the movie is just plain awesome. its what kickass tried to be but with more style and alot funnier dialogue.

Kung Fu Hustle. I own 2 copies, one is the chinesse version the other is an english dub version.

Kung Fu Hustle kicks ass.

I like Kung fu Hustle I need to revisit.

check out ninja Assassin and Black Dynamite, good movies.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:56 PM   #922
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I am planning to see IronMan 2 with my kids for my oldest's birthday this weekend. Hope it doesn't disappoint...
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:04 PM   #923
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I am planning to see IronMan 2 with my kids for my oldest's birthday this weekend. Hope it doesn't disappoint...

I can't wait for my son to be old enough to go to the movies. Two is a tough age when it comes to things to do.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #924
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I can't wait for my son to be old enough to go to the movies. Two is a tough age when it comes to things to do.
Yeah that's for sure... this year, mine turn 13,11,10. No more single digits!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #925
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Yeah that's for sure... this year, mine turn 13,11,10. No more single digits!!!

Awesome! Enjoy their company.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:10 PM   #926
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
I like Kung fu Hustle I need to revisit.

check out ninja Assassin and Black Dynamite, good movies.
i heard of ninja assasins. do these movies have that tarantino kinda vibe to it like kuing fu hustle?
Old 05-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #927
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
i heard of ninja assasins. do these movies have that tarantino kinda vibe to it like kuing fu hustle?

Black Dynamite yes, Ninja Assassins is more just straight up blood and fight scenes.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:42 PM   #928
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Going to see it tonight and give my 2 cents tomorrow.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:42 PM   #929
mredskins
Gamebreaker

BDK's review:

Is Iron Man 2 better than the first film? This is a question that I have been bombarded with since the first credit sequence hit the screen. In short, the answer is yes and no. The film improves on some levels (action and comedy) and then disappoints on others (very uneven and an unnecessarily complicated plotline). Though, I feel the improvements are enough to make Iron Man 2 a worthy sequel. How does it stack up against The Dark Knight, Spider-Man 2 and other super hero/summer blockbuster sequels? That's a great question. As the great Samuel L. Jackson once said, "Well allow me to retort!" Try to imagine this visually on a chart. Let's say the chart goes from one to one hundred and contains bar graphs. The higher the bar graph, the better the film. This is simply being done to show the change in quality of the films as the sequels were released. The Dark Knight was obviously a more superior film than Batman Begins, so much so that the leap would be from a seventy-five to a one hundred. The same went for Spider-Man to Spider-Man 2. The introduction of Doc. Ock (Alfred Molina) made the sequel vastly superior to the first film. Transformers to Transformers 2 took a completely opposite route where the first film was a visually entertaining and the second was just a complete waste of time. Why am I rambling on about other films? The main reason is to show that the Iron Man sequel essentially lives up to the first film. If you, the viewer, can sacrifice a couple of issues, you will be pleasantly surprised to see the upgrades the sequel has to offer.

While the film may be uneven, Iron Man 2 blows the first film out of the water in the action and comedy department. Iron Man was bit more consistent and linear in its story telling and may be an all around better film. Though, Iron Man 2 packs that action punch that the first one lacked. As a critic, I sometimes go back and re-read my older reviews, particular my review for the first film. I do regret giving the film a five out of five. A more suitable rating would have been a four or four and a half because that last battle scene between Robert Downey Jr. and Jeff Bridges was not up to par with the rest of the film. That could easily be one of the most anti-climactic battle scenes in the history of action films.

Not only did director Jon Favraeu (star of Swingers, director of Iron Man, Elf) amp up the action/comedy, he also blew up the cast. Besides the obvious star, Robert Downey Jr., we are also entertained by Don Cheadle (who takes over the role left by Terrence Howard and does a much better job), Sam Rockwell (easily the most underrated actor working today - Moon, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind), Scarlett Johansson (Match Point, Vicky Cristina Barcelona), Mickey Rourke (The Wrestler, Diner), Samuel L. Jackson (Pulp Fiction, Shaft), Garry Shandling ("The Larry Sanders Show") and of course, the return of Pepper Potts herself, Gwenyth Paltrow. Let me say that the choice to have Don Cheadle take over the role of Lt. Col. Rhodes was perfect. Terrence Howard is a wonderful actor but he wanted too much money for the part and was let go. I find that to be a dumb decision considering he has not done a great film since Hustle and Flow. You would think that maybe playing War Machine would bring him to bigger and better roles considering the high profile of the character.

Iron Man 2 picks up sixth months after the first film left off. Tony Stark (Downey Jr.) has revealed that he is, indeed, Iron Man. Now, the Government wants his Iron Man suit because they feel it can be used as a weapon against terrorism. Stark, who is a business man as well thinks it's crazy and that he has now brought world peace. He argues that no one will be able to re-create the suit and that things are going great at the moment. That is until Ivan "Whiplash" Vanko (Mickey Rourke) comes along. You might remember that famous scene in the first film where Tony meets that mysterious man (Yinsin) in the cave, who essentially brings him back to life by placing an arc reactor in his chest to keep the metal shrapnel from getting to his heart. That arc reactor had actually been created well before that day by Howard Stark (John Slattery) and his partner Anton. They were the first to develop this arc reactor. Though Howard and Anton had a falling out which eventually lead to the death of Anton. Ivan now wants his revenge and brings to life his own version of the Iron Man suit, using lightening whip lashes, which he unveils on a race track in Monaco during the Grande Prix. Now, the military is fed up and wants those suits. Stark's partner/friend Lt. Col. James Rhodes (Cheadle) is now teaming up with Iron Man to help fight against Ivan. Rhodes goes by the name War Machine! There's a lot more going on but I don't want to give too much away. For the comic book fans out there, Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) is heavily involved as is Black Widow (Johansson). We are also dealing with the love story between Pepper and Tony.

One of the film's biggest issues is the overly confusing and complicated plot lines. To be honest, the back story of Whiplash's father Anton was not clearly stated in the movie. When I originally watched it, I thought that Anton was the person who helped put the arc reactor into Tony Stark. Though, after doing research and thinking back on the film, I found that Anton and Tony's father had falling out. That is an issue with the writing not being clear. The movie is a bit oversaturated with plot but like I said, if you can get over that fact, the action is worth every penny.

As you can see above, there is a lot going on in this film, maybe too much at times. I don't mean to be too persnickety about a film of this nature but it was oddly uneven times. Staying consistently entertaining was not a problem but the tone of the film would jump all over the place. One second it wanted to be a serious love story and the next minute it was a full-on action film. Personally, it was not a huge problem but there were times where the shifts did not feel natural. Favraeu would go from a massive action scene with high explosives to scene where two people are confessing their love on a rooftop. There needed to be some type of buffer in between those scenes. The jump was a bit too quick.

Now on to the good stuff! The action scenes are worth every penny of your hard earned money. I am a film critic and normally don't have to pay for these films but I will be going back for sure and paying my own money to see this. There are at least three mind-blowing long action scenes that will blow you away. Anytime War Machine (Cheadle) and Iron Man were on screen together, it was gold. There were times where I actually had tears in my eyes because I could not handle how awesome the ending action sequence was. Though, the introduction of War Machine was a bit awkward and forced but you will get over that quickly. The action scenes essentially make up for the film's issues and make this a must-see.

Robert Downey Jr. is so charismatic. That guy brings laughter and a sense of being bad-ass all at the same time. The character of Tony Stark is such a pompous guy but you can't help but love him. Everything he does, he does with a smile on his face and it makes it fun. Every joke of his in the film hits perfectly. In short, Downey Jr. is the perfect Tony Stark/Iron Man.

Let's take a second to recognize one of the most talented actors working today, Sam Rockwell. Rockwell hasn't yet hit that mark where everyone knows who he is but I think he likes it that way. He delivers such a brilliant performance in this movie as Justin Hammer that he almost steals the show. He's funny, awkward and has a bit of evil in him as well. Hammer was a character of many emotions and Rockwell balances all of them perfectly. The introduction of his character was such a great idea. Stark Industries is the worldwide leader in weapons. Hammer wants to take over that slot and he wants to do this by trying to create the Iron Man suit to give to the military. Hammer teams up with Ivan to get that job done.

The movie also really succeeds in the comedy department. The movie is funny throughout, delivering great one-liners and a lot of jokes for the comic book fans. There is one particular reference that will make comic book fans laugh-out-loud. Let's just say it deals with some sort of shield.

All-in-all, Iron Man 2 pretty much lives up to the first. It doesn't have the same solid quality as the first film but the action and comedy is ramped up just enough to where they both even out. Now, if the movie was a bit more even, we would have a five out of five on our hands. Go see this film in theatres, you will not be disappointed, hence the 4.5 BDK rating. Also, what's better than seeing an Iron Man film with AC/DC blaring in the background!
Old 05-06-2010, 04:43 PM   #930
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Awesome! Enjoy their company.
Thanks!