Fresh Start Political Thread

Debating with the enemy

Old 09-08-2021, 08:07 AM   #901
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Fresh Start Political Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Biden won't expand the court because he doesn't play hardball - he's a middle of the pack Dem and as he has shown he would rather try to work with conservatives to get shit down than force it down their throats like Pelosi and the infrastructure bill.

That's the difference - conservatives like McConnell and Trump will go to any length to win - including shitting all over precedent - whereas we are still playing nice with the exception of AOC/etc. Trump and McConnell would expand the SCOTUS bench in a new york minute if that was the difference between holding the court for the next 40 years. Biden won't even entertain the idea.
Question, is court packing honestly the right thing to do?

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-08-2021, 08:31 AM   #902
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Question, is court packing honestly the right thing to do?
Republicans made the Court a political football when turtle man wouldn't confirm/hearing Obamas nominee and with their recent refusal to kill the Texas abortion BS it might be the only way.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:33 AM   #903
MTK
\m/

Since when does either side care about the "right thing" to do lol. It's all about grabbing power when the opportunity presents itself. Pack the fucking court.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:39 AM   #904
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Since when does either side care about the "right thing" to do lol. It's all about grabbing power when the opportunity presents itself. Pack the fucking court.

I actually think a lot of people do…and polling suggests with not packing courts, I’m in the majority

He Gets Us
Old 09-08-2021, 10:57 AM   #905
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
Saying pack the court is the same as saying destroy the court - because packing the court would destroy it. It is so clear to see what would happen if that occurred. Dems add 4 justices - then reverse what was done in previous court session, Republicans then add 4 more to reverse what the previous court did and so on and so on. I mean how can't people who propose packing the court see that? The Government then becomes 2 branches with the President clearly stronger than the legislative - ie eventual end to our democracy.

Packing the court is the worst idea for government reform I've ever seen proposed.
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:15 AM   #906
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniey View Post
Saying pack the court is the same as saying destroy the court - because packing the court would destroy it. It is so clear to see what would happen if that occurred. Dems add 4 justices - then reverse what was done in previous court session, Republicans then add 4 more to reverse what the previous court did and so on and so on. I mean how can't people who propose packing the court see that? The Government then becomes 2 branches with the President clearly stronger than the legislative - ie eventual end to our democracy.

Packing the court is the worst idea for government reform I've ever seen proposed.
The number of justices has changed several times throughout history but we've somehow survived.
Old 09-08-2021, 11:21 AM   #907
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
The number of justices has changed several times throughout history but we've somehow survived.
Further politicizing the SP is the wrong move. Court packing in the past has been a failure

He Gets Us
Old 09-08-2021, 11:22 AM   #908
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

We've had 9 justices since 1869. Let's not act like it's always been in fluctuation.

If you're just going to pack the court then just get rid of it. Get rid of congress too.

Then just keep importing voters and democrats can have their king forever.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:53 AM   #909
SunnySide
Playmaker

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky has made confirming conservative judges his singular focus. In 2018 he described his goal at a gala of the Federalist Society, the four-decades-old legal network that’s become the pipeline for Republican judicial appointees: It’s “to do everything we can, for as long as we can, to transform the federal judiciary, because everything else we do is transitory.”

The previous two Democratic presidents, Bill Clinton and Obama, each left their Republican successors more than 100 openings among the roughly 850 seats on district and appeals courts, because Senate Republicans blocked many of their nominees. The other vacancy Obama famously left was the one that should have gone to his third Supreme Court pick, Merrick Garland, but for McConnell’s brazen blockade in 2016 on grounds that the president elected in November should fill the seat.

McConnell had the Senate continue to confirm judges even after Trump’s defeat in 2020, vowing he’d “leave no vacancy behind.” Not since 1897 had the Senate confirmed a judicial nominee of a defeated president. It confirmed 14 of Trump’s.
The Trump years

Trump’s 226 successful appointments to the trial, appellate, and Supreme courts in a single term will stand as one of his foremost legacies, and all but certainly his most enduring.

When Trump left office, his picks comprised one-third of the Supreme Court, 30% of the 13 circuit courts, and more than one-quarter of the judges presiding over the nation’s 94 district courts. He appointed 54 judges to the circuit courts that are the final word on most appeals—just one less than Obama selected over eight years.

https://time.com/6074707/republicans...ess-mcconnell/

SCOTUS is pretty much a political branch at this point imo.

You can thank Mitch McConnell.

A few more political stunts like they did with the Texas abortion law and Id say pack it with an absurd 50 justices. Make it the complete farce it is becoming.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:57 AM   #910
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky has made confirming conservative judges his singular focus. In 2018 he described his goal at a gala of the Federalist Society, the four-decades-old legal network that’s become the pipeline for Republican judicial appointees: It’s “to do everything we can, for as long as we can, to transform the federal judiciary, because everything else we do is transitory.”

The previous two Democratic presidents, Bill Clinton and Obama, each left their Republican successors more than 100 openings among the roughly 850 seats on district and appeals courts, because Senate Republicans blocked many of their nominees. The other vacancy Obama famously left was the one that should have gone to his third Supreme Court pick, Merrick Garland, but for McConnell’s brazen blockade in 2016 on grounds that the president elected in November should fill the seat.

McConnell had the Senate continue to confirm judges even after Trump’s defeat in 2020, vowing he’d “leave no vacancy behind.” Not since 1897 had the Senate confirmed a judicial nominee of a defeated president. It confirmed 14 of Trump’s.
The Trump years

Trump’s 226 successful appointments to the trial, appellate, and Supreme courts in a single term will stand as one of his foremost legacies, and all but certainly his most enduring.

When Trump left office, his picks comprised one-third of the Supreme Court, 30% of the 13 circuit courts, and more than one-quarter of the judges presiding over the nation’s 94 district courts. He appointed 54 judges to the circuit courts that are the final word on most appeals—just one less than Obama selected over eight years.

https://time.com/6074707/republicans...ess-mcconnell/

SCOTUS is pretty much a political branch at this point imo.

You can thank Mitch McConnell.

A few more political stunts like they did with the Texas abortion law and Id say pack it with an absurd 50 justices. Make it the complete farce it is becoming.
I do not agree with McConnell on this or 99% of other issues. The President is the President for 4 years. Not 3 or 3.5 or 3.9. It's a 4 year fucking term.
Old 09-08-2021, 12:00 PM   #911
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

I don't get why abortion is the number 1 most important thing to the democratic party as a whole. It really is mind-blowing. Throw the whole system out because 1 state passed a law banning abortions after 6 weeks.
Old 09-08-2021, 12:10 PM   #912
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
I don't get why abortion is the number 1 most important thing to the democratic party as a whole. It really is mind-blowing. Throw the whole system out because 1 state passed a law banning abortions after 6 weeks.
We dont want religion guiding or playing a part in our government or democracy.

Pretty simple and straight forward. And no, before you start making false arguments like last time .. that doesnt mean you cant be Christian and a politician. It means you cant use the Bible as a source or motivation and that you will follow and uphold US law.

Roe v Wade is established US law. The 5 justices are now playing political games by not issuing an injunction until they can have a full hearing, in which they will have no choice but overturn the Texas law so they are allowing this unconstitutional law to stay in effect as long as possible until they are forced to do their job and affirm Roe v Wade.

If you dont think republicans packing the court to push a christain conservative political agenda .. then having the SCOTUS actually start acting to promote that christain conservative political agenda OVER the established laws of this Country ...

Keep you fucking king james, man written book out of my fucking government.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 12:10 PM   #913
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post

I dont get it either, but than again we aren’t women so……..
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 12:12 PM   #914
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:

Pretty simple and straight forward. And no, before you start making false arguments like last time .. that doesnt mean you cant be Christian and a politician. It means you cant use the Bible as a source or motivation and that you will follow and uphold US law.

Roe v Wade is established US law. The 5 justices are now playing political games by not issuing an injunction until they can have a full hearing, in which they will have no choice but overturn the Texas law so they are allowing this unconstitutional law to stay in effect as long as possible until they are forced to do their job and affirm Roe v Wade.

If you dont think republicans packing the court to push a christain conservative political agenda .. then having the SCOTUS actually start acting to promote that christain conservative political agenda OVER the established laws of this Country ...

Republicans should just be called redcoats. Which is ironic because their most hardcore members pose as a militia. It’s like they are trying to overthrow themselves…..
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 12:40 PM   #915
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:

We all get our values from somewhere and are guided by those values. You are basically saying that anyone that gets their values from something you don't approve of, shouldn't have a say in decisions. You can't be a Christian and make decisions that aren't in line with your values (unless you're a phony Iike Pelosi, Biden, etc.). You are stating that they have to, so basically they shouldn't be in politics.

In addition, I'm not against abortion solely because I'm a Christian, which certainly plays a part in it. I'm against it because I believe life begins at inception, and I'm against murder.

Why you think being an atheist gives your values a higher meaning than anyone elses is beyond me.

Your atheism is no less of a religion than my Christianity. Hopefully you find Jesus one day. I'll say a prayer for you today.