Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Let's talk good beer

Parking Lot

Old 11-18-2015, 09:42 AM   #886
over the mountain
Playmaker

Re: Let's talk good beer

Ballast Point being bought out for a cool 1 BILLION dollars ... wow.

" Additionally, the bottom 60% of households in income now consume 40% of the nation’s craft beer volume. The Brewers Association pushes craft beer as an “affordable luxury,” and this is obviously catching on."

--------

Bottom Line

The acquisition of these craft breweries by Big Liquor simply makes sense. Time and time again, and throughout every sector, we see that one of the main obstacles to increasing profit margins is scale. While these local breweries could certainly benefit from nationwide sales, expansion costs would probably be too much for them right now.

Now that they are in the hands of Big Liquor, these companies can leverage existing resources to expand affordably. The real question will be whether the big brands can maintain the homemade quality that gives craft beer some of its appeal. On top of that, it will be interesting to see whether “hip” young consumers move onto new local breweries as their old favorites get bought out.

If one thing is for sure, it’s that people love drinking craft beer. Whether the same consumers will continue to drink craft beer brought to them by Big Liquor remains to be seen, but this could end up being a major cash cow for the industry leaders.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/craft-...211409534.html

I have no problem with someone like Ballast Point selling out to big biz. As long as the quality is still there, it might make the same beer cheaper. I would love to see sculpin at 10-12 a sixer vs the current 14-16. ballast point is pretty much a big biz beer now anyhow.

Honestly i hope russian river gets sold out so they will distribute out here. i doubt that dude vinny would sell out bc he seems obsessed with his product but i would love to be able to pick up a bottle whenever .. or at least ship it directly to customers so you can control the quality.

Advertisements
Old 11-19-2015, 11:18 AM   #887
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

I have no issues with Ballast Point selling to Constellation. I think some people get their panties in a wad over these deals, but there is no way I'd say no to a billion dollars. I think the pressure is on the big boys to keep these products on the same, if not better, level that the smaller guys are currently at. Hopefully these smaller guys make these deals with their product in mind, as opposed to just a cash grab.

I don't see Russian River selling out at any time in the near or distant future. Like you said, they are so particular about their product that I don't see them wanting anyone to undermine that.

I'm splitting a case of Oskar Blues' Death By Coconut with some friends. I pick it up tomorrow. Can't wait to try it.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:48 PM   #888
over the mountain
Playmaker

DTC has this beer Oxbow farmhouse pale ale ... looks pretty good, expensive at $16 for 32 oz. they also have maine lunch coming up on tap but knowing them they will only do pours and not growlers. they had "another one" and were doing only pours.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:43 PM   #889
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Growler of Terrapin So Fresh & So Green, Green IPA...damn good and fresh!
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:21 PM   #890
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Split a case of Oskar Blues Death by Coconut with 2 friends. 8 cans of yummy chocolate coconut deliciousness. This stuff is quite tasty. A Mounds bar in a glass, which if you like chocolate and coconut, is divine.

Had my growler of Wonka Bar last night from Mispillion River. It's a helluva chocolate stout. Definitely can see how it won 3rd Place at GABF.

Heading to my Father In Law's in Dayton, TN for Thanksgiving. He lives in a dry county...so yeah. There is a new brewpub in town that I'll try out.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
Old 11-23-2015, 02:15 PM   #891
over the mountain
Playmaker

DTC wants $12 for a 12 ounce pour of Maine Lunch. $30 for 32 oz.

that is ridiculously high .. even for MoCo. No way im paying that. ill wait to find a few 18 oz bottles for $10.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:19 PM   #892
over the mountain
Playmaker

Goose Island bourbon barrel stout avail in bottles at 10 am on friday at DTC. ill be there. i think they have it on tap today, cant make it there today ... or can i?
Old 11-28-2015, 08:18 AM   #893
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Arrogant bastard and Sorry Not Sorry IPA...ouch a lil bit of a hangover
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:48 PM   #894
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
Split a case of Oskar Blues Death by Coconut with 2 friends. 8 cans of yummy chocolate coconut deliciousness. This stuff is quite tasty. A Mounds bar in a glass, which if you like chocolate and coconut, is divine.

Had my growler of Wonka Bar last night from Mispillion River. It's a helluva chocolate stout. Definitely can see how it won 3rd Place at GABF.

Heading to my Father In Law's in Dayton, TN for Thanksgiving. He lives in a dry county...so yeah. There is a new brewpub in town that I'll try out.
Really looking forward to trying that one... been out of the game for a few days now with a bad cold. No beer for me this weekend.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:20 PM   #895
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Really looking forward to trying that one... been out of the game for a few days now with a bad cold. No beer for me this weekend.

MTK......I like it. The artist formerly known as Matty. Hope u feel better soon...that time of year. Sucks.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:38 PM   #896
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
Goose Island bourbon barrel stout avail in bottles at 10 am on friday at DTC. ill be there. i think they have it on tap today, cant make it there today ... or can i?
Had the manager at my go-to store put a bottle aside for me because I was out of town. Yeah, someone else that works there sold it. Not too happy. Fortunately a buddy of mine got several bottles and offered one to me.

@MTK - Have you had Death By Coconut yet?

Old 12-01-2015, 09:14 AM   #897
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

Spent last Saturday with WillH down at Jailbreak in Laurel, MD. Nice set up. Watched the terps, drank some good beer, and the food truck outside was damn good.

It's a great time we live in where I can drive under 30 minutes to a handful of great breweries and we have more popping up.

From Jailbreak, I recommend the Scoville Jalapeno IPA. It sounds gross, and I don't like other spicy beers- but this one knocks it out of the ball park.

Speaking of gross sounding delicious beers: I had a Flying Dog Cranberry IPA over Thanksgiving. Done very well.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:45 AM   #898
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
Had the manager at my go-to store put a bottle aside for me because I was out of town. Yeah, someone else that works there sold it. Not too happy. Fortunately a buddy of mine got several bottles and offered one to me.

@MTK - Have you had Death By Coconut yet?

Went to my local beer store last night and they don't have it yet. Still on the hunt.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:08 AM   #899
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH4413 View Post
Spent last Saturday with WillH down at Jailbreak in Laurel, MD. Nice set up. Watched the terps, drank some good beer, and the food truck outside was damn good.

It's a great time we live in where I can drive under 30 minutes to a handful of great breweries and we have more popping up.

From Jailbreak, I recommend the Scoville Jalapeno IPA. It sounds gross, and I don't like other spicy beers- but this one knocks it out of the ball park.

Speaking of gross sounding delicious beers: I had a Flying Dog Cranberry IPA over Thanksgiving. Done very well.
Jailbreak is awesome. Welcome to Scoville is good. The pepper flavor doesn't linger like other pepper beers. Their DIPA, Big Punisher, is good. Their rye ale is good too.

Not too far from there is Victoria's Gastro Pub, which slings beers from Manor Hill Brewery, among others. One of the better Imperial IPAs in Maryland hails from Manor Hill (Citra Splendor).

@MTK - Happy Hunting. Local place where I got mine got in 2 cases and was sold before it hit the shelves.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:22 PM   #900
over the mountain
Playmaker

I got to DTC at 11:45 friday for the GI bourbon stout but they were already sold out. the guy said they had people lined up before they opened at 10.

you can get GI stouts and Death by coconut on line at b - l -a -c -k -w- e- l- l- s. there at decent prices but shipping is 25 bucks or so.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote