Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

New Games on the Horizon (the video game thread)

Parking Lot

Old 06-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #886
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: New Games on the Horizon (the video game thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Your Feedback Matters – Update on Xbox One

DRM and online check-in requirement has been dumped
Microsoft listens to its' customers? Well I'll be. I was kinda hoping they'd keep ignoring its' customer base so it would be a little easier to hate on them.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #887
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Microsoft listens to its' customers? Well I'll be. I was kinda hoping they'd keep ignoring its' customer base so it would be a little easier to hate on them.
I dunno about listening to them... Microsoft had horribly bad press after E3, hell even before E3, if anything this is damage control. They were about to lose a significant portion of their fan base.

Next thing Microsoft needs to do is get rid of those talking heads who were like, "Well if you can't get an internet connection then you better play Xbox 360" and the idiots in the think tank that thought the original DRMs were a good idea.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #888
MTK
\m/

I don't think MS had much of a choice. If they had stuck their guns they could have had a disaster on their hands sales wise. I give them credit for trying to push things in a different direction to start with, people just hate change and these days especially people make that known loud and clear.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #889
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
I dunno about listening to them... Microsoft had horribly bad press after E3, hell even before E3, if anything this is damage control. They were about to lose a significant portion of their fan base.

Next thing Microsoft needs to do is get rid of those talking heads who were like, "Well if you can't get an internet connection then you better play Xbox 360" and the idiots in the think tank that thought the original DRMs were a good idea.
This. Tells you how insulated they are to have ever thought that was going to fly. I tend to buy only new games, and couldn't conceive of life w/o broadband, but the new requirements seemed a little much to me. With this, they've secured my pre-order. Regardless of the motivations, they reversed course in order to make the right call.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #890
MTK
\m/

The ncaa 14 demo is rock solid. They added a bunch of new controls this year, running the option is a blast and the game just has a great feel. Really looking forward to the full game now.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #891
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Built a new monster PC recently for about $1,200 ($1,400 with the monitor). GTX 770 GPU, I5-3570k, SSD for Windows. So as a result I canceled my pre-order for Xbox One. I was originally going to hold out but the main game I was getting it for, Dead Rising 3, was having huge frame rate problems this close to launch so I would rather wait and see instead of betting that everything will be fixed on day 1.

Quote:
The frame-rate is also a big concern. It’s understandable that next-gen code presented this will have a variety of technical hitches and problems but nothing else we saw E3 had the same frame-rate problems Dead Rising 3 did. Dying Light, the closest comparison at the E3 in terms of on-screen activity, didn’t choke on its sheer number of zombies like Dead Rising 3 did.

While a sluggish frame-rate may be a case of optimisaing the code, Capcom Vancouver doesn’t have the same option for a quick fix when it comes to the humour and the tone of Dead Rising 3.
Also that Kinect having to be plugged in for the system to work creeped me out. I know it will likely not be a big deal but I still haven't heard a good reason why it needs to be plugged in for the system to work.

Will likely get it eventually but don't think I can justify a day 1 purchase. Ironically enough i think this video was the initial turning point that got me thinking about cancelling my preorder.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #892
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Word of advice, If you buy NCAA 2014, get it at Target. You buy it and a 12 pack of coke and get a $10 target gift card for free.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #893
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Built a new monster PC recently for about $1,200 ($1,400 with the monitor). GTX 770 GPU, I5-3570k, SSD for Windows. So as a result I canceled my pre-order for Xbox One. I was originally going to hold out but the main game I was getting it for, Dead Rising 3, was having huge frame rate problems this close to launch so I would rather wait and see instead of betting that everything will be fixed on day 1.

Also that Kinect having to be plugged in for the system to work creeped me out. I know it will likely not be a big deal but I still haven't heard a good reason why it needs to be plugged in for the system to work.

Will likely get it eventually but don't think I can justify a day 1 purchase. Ironically enough i think this video was the initial turning point that got me thinking about cancelling my preorder.
Fwiw, Dead Rising 2 had some insanely stupid bugs earlier this year on the 360. You had to limit the way in which you completed some tasks so as not to crash the game. Makes me wonder if the problem might lie more with the dev than the mfr in this case.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #894
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
Fwiw, Dead Rising 2 had some insanely stupid bugs earlier this year on the 360. You had to limit the way in which you completed some tasks so as not to crash the game. Makes me wonder if the problem might lie more with the dev than the mfr in this case.
Agreed, and I believe eventually they can be corrected, however at this point I'm no longer willing to bet $560 that it will work correctly on day 1 especially after investing $1,200 in a new custom PC.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:37 AM   #895
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

If anyones picking up NCAA 14 today, let me know how the gameplay is. IGN only gave it a 7.4 out of 10 so I'm a little reluctant to get it first day (plus I'm deadass broke) so I'm waiting a couple of weeks.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:03 AM   #896
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
If anyones picking up NCAA 14 today, let me know how the gameplay is. IGN only gave it a 7.4 out of 10 so I'm a little reluctant to get it first day (plus I'm deadass broke) so I'm waiting a couple of weeks.
I've been playing it since Friday, I like it a lot. It's nothing ground breaking but it's definitely an improvement over the last 2 years. I'd give it a solid 8/10. Is it worth a day 1 buy? Eh, if you're a big fan go ahead, otherwise it's probably a better value to pick up for $40 in couple of weeks.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #897
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I've been playing it since Friday, I like it a lot. It's nothing ground breaking but it's definitely an improvement over the last 2 years. I'd give it a solid 8/10. Is it worth a day 1 buy? Eh, if you're a big fan go ahead, otherwise it's probably a better value to pick up for $40 in couple of weeks.
...How did you get it before today?
Old 07-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #898
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
...How did you get it before today?
EA season ticket
Old 07-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #899
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Just saw that GTA V gameplay video that came out today, goodness gracious that game looks amazing. I would link to it if I could but I'm at work and youtube is blocked, so just check it out whenever.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #900
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Just saw that GTA V gameplay video that came out today, goodness gracious that game looks amazing. I would link to it if I could but I'm at work and youtube is blocked, so just check it out whenever.
I love that Rockstar doesn't pump out new GTA games every year but damn, GTA IV was released in 2008. That's too damn long. I'm sure it will be well worth it though. Everything I've read about it sounds amazing.