***2010-2011 College Hoops Thread***

Other Sports

Old 03-21-2011, 04:04 PM   #76
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Re: ***2010-2011 College Hoops Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Haven't looked at the NIT at all..rarely do.

Wichita State "Shockers" beat VT in OT last night. VCU Rammed the Shockers in the regular season. VCU red robin win.

I got to admit, im not as crazy about a couple of the players and the coach for VCU as i have been with players and coaches of years past, but this is amazing to watch right now. They are playing beautifully right now and i just hope they can keep it up. Elite 8 or final 4 would be seriously rad.
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #77
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Wichita State "Shockers" beat VT in OT last night. VCU Rammed the Shockers in the regular season. VCU red robin win.

I got to admit, im not as crazy about a couple of the players and the coach for VCU as i have been with players and coaches of years past, but this is amazing to watch right now. They are playing beautifully right now and i just hope they can keep it up. Elite 8 or final 4 would be seriously rad.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:25 PM   #78
MTK
\m/

Now that SU is out I'll probably be rooting for BYU. Fredette is from my area, about 20 minutes north of me. He's obviously a huge local story.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:08 PM   #79
BuckSkin
Special Teams

Quote:
Kentucky is going to roll over them.
Over Ohio State? Whad's Thad Matta fer you?
Old 03-22-2011, 08:20 AM   #80
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Haven't looked at the NIT at all..rarely do.

Just figured since the Community College of Mayberry was in there you have some vested interest.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:24 AM   #81
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:

really?

u know what smarts contract looks like? he will def have some schools knockin on his door after the tourney. he has coached these kids out of their minds, i hope they can keep it up too, i think they will beat fl st and make it to the eight for sure. if they keep playing like this i don't know who could beat them.

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:30 AM   #82
mlmpetert
Playmaker

^ Guess who's #1 brah:

The 30 Hottest Cheerleaders of the 2011 NCAA Tournament | Bleacher Report
Old 03-22-2011, 09:35 AM   #83
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
bs, they must have brought in some out of town talent

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:03 AM   #84
mlmpetert
Playmaker

I dont know what to think about Smart’s contract right now. Theres already a lot of talk about hows hes going to get all sorts of offers, Ive heard hes a prime candidate for the Tenn job. My thoughts:

Hes real young – could be a good or bad thing, but I think it’s a good thing. I think hes more likely to say, hey Ive got plenty of time to go to a big name program in the future, let me stay at VCU for a while wheres its bound to be cush for a long time even if I suck. I honestly don’t think Smart is ready for a bigger stage.

Jeff Capel changed VCU basketball I think my sophomore year, before then we wernt that hot. Jeff Capel just showed there are no ganranettes making it in the big leagues.

When they built the Segal Center they designed for a smaller crowd (based on pre Capel attendance). It worked out well though, because it gets loud and is a tough atmosphere to play in. We have one of the best home court advantages in ALL of college basketball and constantly sell out. That’s a big thing to like as a coach

After Capel left for OU Grant came in and really changed things. Now of course Grant was handed Eric Maynor (the second coming of the Messiah in VCU land), but Grant is one hell of a basketball coach and think hes going to do amazing things in Alabama. Grant obviously had pedigree being the head assistant to FL’s Donovan, and was a pretty big coaching candidate for a lot of bigger schools when he came here. Shaka is kind of a no body when you compare him to Grants biography; just Grant’s main assistant. I guess I think a lot of schools might think he kind of got lucky in his run and will want to see another steller year before offering him a cant say no opportunity. Which brings me to:

I don’t think Shaka is all that great of a coach (pre-CAA tourney). Whats going on with the Rams right now is kind of inexplicable.... Capel and Grant were obviously better coaches. Shaka has only been here for 2 years and I think people want to see him do a little more during the regular season.

One thing that both Grant and Shaka were able to do better than Capel is recruit (again besides Messiah Maynor). And VCU is really set up to be a better team next year and the year after right now. Joey Rodriguez may be a media darling right now but before the last couple weeks he was never really loved by VCU fans. Skeen is going to be the player that hurts the most to loose next year. Reddic (6’9” 4-man) and Hailey (7 foot center from Cali) are gonna be good, real good and theyre both freshman. The team is young with just 4 seniors.

And finally:

VCU aint as bad as it sounds. Honestly the CAA is emerging as a powerhouse mid major and VCU has been the main stud in the stable since Capel’s arrival. When Grant was here there was even some talk about VCU hoping to get invited to a bigger conference and how that is something the VCU athletic department was perusing. As I said in a post a little back; VCU, Mason, ODU, and Richmond are the best basketball teams in the state and have been for a while. The hardest part about being a good mid-major is other teams wont play us…….
Old 03-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #85
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Also if its anything like Capel's or Grant's contract there wont really be anything financially stopping Shaka from leaving. But it also wont be a pure money situtation; VCU pays their coaches almost as much as the big names. The one plus is that after a coach leaves theres usually a clause in the contract that you have to come back and play VCU at home.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:17 PM   #86
CooleyAsCanBe
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Now that SU is out I'll probably be rooting for BYU. Fredette is from my area, about 20 minutes north of me. He's obviously a huge local story.
I went to BYU undergrad and have been enjoying this season. As huge as Jimmermania is around there, I hear the support in his hometown is amazing. People packing bars to watch his games. He's a great talent, fun to watch.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:41 PM   #87
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooleyAsCanBe View Post
I went to BYU undergrad and have been enjoying this season. As huge as Jimmermania is around there, I hear the support in his hometown is amazing. People packing bars to watch his games. He's a great talent, fun to watch.
Yeah whenever BYU plays there's always a local piece in the news about where his family and friends are gathering to watch. It's hard not to get excited, he's a heck of a player. The kid can shoot the lights out.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #88
itvnetop
Playmaker

Pulling for the Rams... my buddy's brother plays backup center (DJ Haley).

my blather
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:08 PM   #89
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Wow, tell your buddy we are expecting HUGE things from him going foward. VCU has had a couple 7 footers before but i think Haley is our first American 7 footer, when i first heard about his height i was like great some Russian that has no hands, then i heard he was from Cali. I heard he was pretty highly recruited but choice VCU because of a specialty engineering program we have. Any truth to that? Is this guy real smart too?
Old 03-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #90
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Yeah whenever BYU plays there's always a local piece in the news about where his family and friends are gathering to watch. It's hard not to get excited, he's a heck of a player. The kid can shoot the lights out.

What a cruel world Jimmer lives in. He is the BMOC but yet he can't touch any of the ladies.

I picture him thirsty at sea. "Water water everywhere not a drop to drink."