Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

do you speed?

Parking Lot

Old 04-13-2009, 10:35 AM   #76
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Re: do you speed?

Now that summer is closing in I can't wait to see my favorite motorcycle drivers on the B/W Parkway. You want to talk dangerous, those guys are killing themselves and others all the time. Doing stunts, weaving in and out of traffic, passing between cars, etc...

It is really bad and when I pass one that has splated like a bug on the windsheild because they crashed my heart is really not all that sadden. The police really need to crack down on them, it is out of control.

Advertisements
Old 04-13-2009, 10:39 AM   #77
Monksdown
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
This is the type of thinking you basically cannot have a rational argument with. Just selectively ignore laws you don't think are right eh?
Malcolm, i've been reading your posts for a long time. And i like what you have to say most of the time. You live/d in Lexington, where i went to school. If you want to have a rational argument with me, please do. I understand what you are saying. And i think that for the most part, you are clearly in the right, and i am in the wrong. I am just spilling my heart here, and telling you how i am. Sometimes I feel the need to step outside of the box put around me by Joe Average and Joe's Average's local representatives in Congress. For that i apologize, that is simply just how i am.
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #78
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
And there are other issues at hand, such as lax punishments for speeders and those who cause accidents. Also more cameras that give tickets in the mail should be kept, they are proven to deter speeding and reckless driving.

If anything Schneed is causing further congestion, lack of improper traffic flow, etc. I am sorry for your loss, but why don't you use all that energy you have towards a more productive cause? Work for an organization that advocates changes in traffic laws, or an org. that educates people. etc. because this one man personal vendetta doesn't really achieve anything.

A day or two later they will speed again.
TMC I don't this calling the cops is really immature, I think it is ineffective. I actually suggested calling the cops to Schneed, whom I think is quite immature with the slowing traffic down bit.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #79
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I can understand that. The fact that you know it's wrong is better than people who feel like they have the "right" to do it.

Did you go to VMI or W&L?
Old 04-13-2009, 10:44 AM   #80
Monksdown
The Starter

Think lower SAT scores and hazing.
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:47 AM   #81
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Ahhhhh. Gotcha. I work in IT at W&L. Office is right next door to VMI.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:57 AM   #82
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
You sound EXACTLY like me on the road. I CANNOT stand assholes who feel like they have this sense of entitlement and go all nuts because you're passing someone going 65 at 75 and THEY want to drive 85-90. Who the F do you think you are?

I routinely call the police on jackasses tailgating and weaving in and out. Sometimes I get lucky enough to beep the horn at them when they're pulled over down the road.
What if it was someone with a legit emergency that was flashing their lights? Granted 99% of the time it's just probably some a-hole, but what if it's that one time where someone has a legit reason?

To me it's just easy to move over and let them go. Sooner or later they're going to get theirs.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:09 AM   #83
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
Schneed: If you come to Virginia, I suggest you don't practice this type of driving seeing as how it is illegal. Below is a link to a site that gives a synopsis of all states then a link to their actual driving laws.
State "keep right" laws

Someone mentioned red light cameras earlier. I haven't read anything about them helping much at all. In fact, you can only be ticketed (at least in VA) if there's a sign saying that the intersection has cameras. And here's one of many studies showing that they actually cause more accidents than they prevent. I must say, one of my two accidents happened because I didn't run a red light. They actually got out of the car and said "Why didn't you just run it? Look what you did!" The light was fully red by then.

I'm looking for the insurance survey now. It was sent to our house a few years ago by our insurance company. I need to try to find it, and will look more. But Im already late for a family thing. Hope the left lane is clear!
The accident happened because the guy behind you was tailgating and did not allow enough room to stop so he hit you. All the stuff I have seen show that red light camera's do work and cut down on accidents. Even if thats not true a rear end accident is usually not even close to a T bone intersection accident. This has been a big issue here in Va for the past couple of years.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:48 AM   #84
GhettoDogAllStars
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Another factor, I'm a stubborn son of a bitch on the roads, and I'm flat out not willing to let somebody go 95 if I can help it.

Had a confrontation with one such driver at the Chesapeake House rest stop in Maryland. When he got back on the road he chilled out.

I guess you can call it reverse road rage. I flat out don't tolerate it. I've called the cops on people from my cell, I've blockaded, I've confronted them at rest stops.

I lost a family member to a reckless driver. It touches a nerve.
Sorry to hear about your loss. You might want to avoid the confrontations though -- road rage is real (I'm super cereal).
Old 04-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #85
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

I cheat to 10 over. More than that, I cannot deal with the ticket. If I could cheat to 20over.......I would.
I think I'll go check out the Montana Autobahn
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:05 PM   #86
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

I am about to drive back down to Charlottesville right now on 29. I set the cruise to 10-11 over and state troopers don't give me crap.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #87
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
What if it was someone with a legit emergency that was flashing their lights? Granted 99% of the time it's just probably some a-hole, but what if it's that one time where someone has a legit reason?

To me it's just easy to move over and let them go. Sooner or later they're going to get theirs.
This is a generalized post not entirely directed in response to Matty's post above:

- To Matty's point. If you have an emergency, call friggin 911! What the hell are you doing trying to drive somewhere yourself? That's why they have sirens and flashing lights.

- Just because it's an "emergency" and you're driving, doesn't make excessive speeding any less illegal.

- Glad to hear there is at least one other person on this site who's willing to stand up for safe driving. TMC makes great points. The most significant of which is basically: if you're speeding excessively or driving aggressively, you have no right to criticize the legality of blocking the left lane. If you can break the law by speeding, you can't get mad at me for blocking the left lane. How is one more legal, or justifiable, than the other?

- I see that my abrasive personality, combined with my combative stance against speeders, has pissed off more than one person on this site. I say good. I love you for being a Redskins fan, but slow down. Instead of getting caught up in battling me because I'm an asshole, I ask you to address the purpose of this thread and give me one, ONE rational reason why you need to go 95 mph on the road?

If you're going 85 I really don't care all that much. But if you're going 95, bring it, start actually debating this. Why do you need to go that fast?
Old 04-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #88
MTK
\m/

All I know is it's up to the police to monitor and enforce traffic, not some tough guy who thinks he rules the road. In the end your passive aggressive behavior is no better than the all out road ragers and it only contributes to the problem. But hey have fun playing traffic cop.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:22 PM   #89
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
TMC I don't this calling the cops is really immature, I think it is ineffective. I actually suggested calling the cops to Schneed, whom I think is quite immature with the slowing traffic down bit.
I guess you're not reading my posts? I said I've called the cops on people back in post 29.

Again, what makes anybody think I care about being mature? I care about doing what I can to make the roads safer, whether you (or anybody else) think that's immature is immaterial to me.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:23 PM   #90
gibbsisgod
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post

- To Matty's point. If you have an emergency, call friggin 911! What the hell are you doing trying to drive somewhere yourself? That's why they have sirens and flashing lights.
What would you have suggested I do in my situation? I was in a differnet state. I raced home to be beside my child in her time of need. As I said before, i don't speed, but I think I had a legit reason that day.

I wonder if your child was having a medical emergency if you would feel the same way.

"abrassive personality" , Thats putting it mildly.
gibbsisgod is offline   Reply With Quote